Author Topic: Kelly family of Belfast  (Read 3585 times)

Offline ScottH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Kelly family of Belfast
« on: Monday 27 February 12 21:19 GMT (UK) »
I'm doing some research into a family for a friend, but struggling to get any further.

I have the marriage certificate for Cyril Frederick Kelly and Betty Patricia Duling, they married in Wandsworth, London in 1950.

The certificate says Cyril's father was Frank Kelly, a fitter. I also have a copy of his birth certificate as I knew he was born in Belfast in 1923. His birth certificate states his father was Fred Kelly, a fruiter, and mother was Eve Marks (didn't know for certain, but we believed her name was Evelyn).

Fred/Frank and Eve's children I believe were born in the following order: Cyril, daughter, son, Hilton James (d.2008) and daughter.

I'm told they separated and it was a mixed Catholic/Protestant marriage.

Unfortunately I can't find a record of their marriage, or birth records for any of their children on the indexes on Ancestry (am I right in thinking Northern Ireland isn't covered on these indexes after 1921?).

There are a few Frank/Fred Kelly's and Evelyn/Eveline Marks on the 1901 and 1911 census records, but no way of telling if any are correct.

Cyril's marriage certificate stated his rank or profession as "3rd engineer merchant navy". I've ordered copies of his "Seaman's Pouch" from The National Archives website, but I guess it's unlikely to reveal any new information on his parents.

Thanks
Hamilton, Ridley, Emmerson, Loosemore, Dolman, Derry, Elmer, Howells
England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland

Offline frankie-d

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kelly family of Belfast
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 February 12 21:37 GMT (UK) »
I think you're correct that Ancestry don't have the NI records.

If you're near an LDS Family History Centre they will probably have them on film, the London one certainly does, they're shown about half way down on this page -

http://www.londonfhc.org/content/catalogue?c=827&p=Ireland,Ireland&f=1

If you know roughly the place and date of birth it's quite straightforward, first look on the index film which tells you which film and page of images the record is on.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 February 12 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Yes, the online civil registration index only goes up to 1921 for Northern Ireland counties.

Usually only larger LDS libraries will have the Irish indexes and registers on microfilm. If you do decide to search through the microfilmed indexes remember that a year is divided into 4 quarters which means 4 boxes for each year you want to search.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ScottH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies. I live in East Sussex and looking on the LDS website it looks like there are a few in my area. I'll contact them and see if they have the indexes.

If not may look into finding someone based in London to have a look for me - any recommendations?

Offline ScottH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 March 12 19:40 GMT (UK) »
In the end I ordered a marriage certificate, since Cyril was born in 1923 and there's no marriage in the indexes on Ancestry up to 1921 it seems likely they married in 1922 or 1923.

The certificate I received today is between Francis Kelly and Eva(e)linn Mary Marks in 1922. Both 20 years old, Francis a butcher and Evelinn a shop assistant. Francis resided in Ballyclare, Evelinn at "97 Bally carry" (with what looks like W underneath, west?). Their fathers were Neil Kelly (looks like eng driver) and John Marks (harrier?).

Should be the correct marriage, but any ideas how I could find more proof?

Searching on the census records at http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search there doesn't seem to be any matches in 1911 or 1901 (may have been born after it was taken). As the fathers names are fairly common and I have no idea how old they are it's not going to be easy finding them.

Any ideas, maybe another way of using the search options? Is it likely they're just missing from the census?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 March 12 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ScottH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 March 12 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, that looks a possibility.

Offline Doc.Kelly

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 18:17 BST (UK) »
I.m looking for my family in N Ireland my fathers name is Fransis.Hugh.Desmond. Kelly is D.O.B. is July 1926 he is a tool Maker by trade and he lived at Eia Street, Belfast. he had two brothers Cyril and Hilton and two sisters Margret and Evelyn he came to the UK in mid 40.s where he got married Cyril went to the merchant navy i have no record of where Hilton or his sisters went if they left ireland at all i have not seen him since 1967 i don,t know if he is still alive i don't know my grand parants first names as i have never met them all i know is that they were still living at EIA Street in the mid 60,s any help would be appreciated 
                                                                     Doc.Kelly