Author Topic: Samuel Alexander & Isabella  (Read 11829 times)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Samuel Alexander & Isabella
« on: Friday 21 December 12 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Is there a Marriage Index for Antrim?

I'm looking for the maiden name for Isabella wife of Samuel Alexander a Farmer.

The only details I have of the couple themselves are:-
Samuel Alexander was born c1800 and died in 1861, Isabella was born c 1804 and died in 1844, both were buried in Umgall, parish of Templepatrick.

From a Will extract the following children have been identified:-
Ezekiel born c1831.
Hugh born c1834.
William born c1842.
I mention the children only as an indication of the period the marriage took place, a daughter Isabella was also named in the will but nothing to indicate when she was born.

The maiden name of Samuel's wife Isabella is needed so that I can wrap up a little project I undertook for the elderly aunt of a close friend.  I intend to call it a day with Isabella's maiden name because I have the impression that it would be very difficult to take this Alexander family further back and possibly quite expensive and very time consuming.

Regards and a very Merry Xmas to all from Australia. 
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Alexander & Isabella
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 December 12 08:27 GMT (UK) »
The details may exist in church records, if those have survived. Knowing the Parish is helpful, but do you also now the Townland they lived in? To try and narrow down possible church, do you know what religion the family were?

eg  Templepatrick Presbyterian Church
       Baptisms 1831 to 1965; marriages 1831 to 1910

Templepatrick NSP
     Baptisms 1796 - 1980, marriages 1797 - 1848. burials 1966 - 1978

Templepatrick Church of Ireland
     Baptisms 1827 - 1908, marriages 1827 - 1856, burials 1828 - 1928

the above are available at PRONI in Belfast. Some other local churches are available too. It may also be possible to order microfilm copies to be viewed at an LDS centre in your area of Australia.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline mshergold

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 December 12 09:35 GMT (UK) »
I believe that this is the sons  marriage......>

Ezekiel D. W. Alexander  /     Catherine Bell  marriage 11 Apr 1850 in the  family search.org site
marriage place:Civil Marriage Records, , Misc, Ireland
groom's father  Samuel Alexander
bride's father   John Bell

Ref:::::>>>>

indexing project (batch) number:M70202-1
system origin: Ireland-VR
source film number: 101312
reference number: 2:1RXXDDW

(please look on family search just in case i missed any details  )

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 December 12 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if you've done any Irish research yet, findem, but civil registration of Catholic marriages (as well as births and deaths) started in 1864 with non-Catholic marriages (including Registry Office) ones from 1845.

You may be able to find church records of the marriage and/or baptisms of the children but the marriage details are likely to be a note of bride, groom, date of marriage and perhaps clergyman & maybe 2 witnesses. Early baptisms usually don't show mother's maiden name and sometimes only father is listed.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 December 12 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Findem, is at present, having difficulties accessing the site.

He has the marriage cert for Ezechial D.W. Alexander as mentioned.   Presbyterian marriage.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 December 12 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Computer problems or problems with Rootschat, Steve?

If problem with RC there's a red 'contact support' button top right corner of page.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 December 12 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Computer problems or problems with Rootschat, Steve?

If problem with RC there's a red 'contact support' button top right corner of page.

With Rootschat....he's on the case with 'contact support', I think. ;)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 December 12 23:53 GMT (UK) »
That's good- hopefully soon sorted out

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 December 12 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Finally made it, had a reply from Support this morning (Monday Aussie time) told me to try deleting cookies, haven't worked out how to do that yet, my brain finally started working this morning and I thought "why not try Firefox as a browser" and here I are  ;D

All the Alexander ancestral families found so far are Presbyterian, the mother of the person I'm trying to put a small tree together for married a non farmer but all the previous (male) ancestors were Farmers.

I did try Emerald Ancestors index for the marriage of Samuel and Isabella but couldn't seem to find the right marriage.  I'm at a loss to know where to try next, now if the marriage had been in Essex it would have been right up my street  ;D

The known ancestors of Annie Alexander (the lady's mother) are Arthur Alexander & May Gault both of "the Grange Umgall Templepatrick parish", Arthur's parents are Ezekiel Alexander & Catherine Bell, Ezekiel of Umgall and Catherine of Carnghliss, Killead parish.  From Censuses both families raised their children in Umgall, Templepatrick.

All I know of Samuel is that from a Will extract his wife was named Isabella and from a Census that Samuel was born in Umgall Templepatrick.  I identified Samuel as Ezekiel's father from the marriage cert of Ezekiel and Catherine.

That's virtually all I know of Annie Alexander's ancestors, any birth years I have are all from Censuses or Will extracts. Can someone please advise me what methods are available for accessing Templepatrick baptisms and costs involved?

Steve, many thanks for letting people know I was having troubles accessing RootsChat, I was a bit concerned that I might be thought rude for not replying sooner.

Regards and a merry Xmas to you all.

Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk