Author Topic: John Carey of Rarity Cottage Toomebridge b 1800 died 1891  (Read 6022 times)

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Carey of Rarity Cottage Toomebridge b 1800 died 1891
« on: Thursday 02 January 14 03:41 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have any information about the parents of John Carey of Toomebridge they would be willing to share? Several members of my Ewing family of Coolsythe benefitted from the estate of John Carey and the extract below suggests that one of my 4 x gt grandparents John Ewing and Mary nee McKelvey of Coolsythe (parents of James Ewing noted below) was a cousin of John Carey. John Ewing was born c1788 and Mary McKelvey was born c1794 but I have no clues as to who their parents were and was hoping more might be known about John Carey's parents, as he was a more public figure.

Index to Wills at Probate:

1893. 4th October. Letters of Administration (with Will Annexed) of the personal estate of John Carey, late of Duneane in the County of Antrim, Gentleman, who died 23rd August 1891, aged 90 years, at the same place where granted at Principal Register to James Ewing of Randalstown in the same County, carpenter & builder, the first cousin once removed. Effects £655.0.0

Thank you

Linda Graham
 (Antrim names; Ewing, McKelvey, Henry, Gawn,  Graham, Lynn, Courtney.)

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John Carey of Rarity Cottage Toomebridge b 1800 died 1891
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 January 14 04:46 GMT (UK) »
I believe I have just narrowed down the relationship to the McKelvey side of the family through this article on a Glenavyhistory site.

Claims to Peerage by Frederick William Carey

The article is an extract from The Lisburn Herald, February 26th 1898.
http://www.glenavyhistory.com/ballinderryEvents.html

As we previously pointed out he was so successful, when last the matter was before the Master of the rolls in the Dublin Courts, as to displace John McKelvie, by whom a conditional order was obtained on the ground that he was the nearest of kin, but whose relativity was on the maternal side, while Carey’s is on the paternal

So now I just need to know who John Carey's mother was and who her parents were. Presumably John's mother was a sister of Mary Ewing nee McKelvey. The John McKelvie named in the above article could possibly have been a brother or more likely a nephew.

From the article it seems John Carey's father was a James Carey who was somehow related to a Col Thomas Carey of Ballinderry. I could not work out if the Colonel was James Carey's brother or if he was another generation further back.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Linda.

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 20:54 BST (UK) »
I wrote a short biography of the very unusual John Carey for the Dictionary of Irish Biography. I didn't find the mother's maiden name; the information I found suggested that his parents were John and Margaret Carey of Duneane. So you think his mother was McKelvie? looking forward to hearing more about this man

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 April 14 00:36 BST (UK) »
James Ewing's mother was Mary McKelvey who died 1 Sep 1845 aged aged 47 and is buried at Drummaul, (my 4 x gt grandmother). So I now believe Mary was a cousin of John Carey, making her son James Ewing and his siblings, first cousins once removed of John Carey's.

The siblings who were still alive when John Carey died, including my 3 x gt grandmother Eliza Henry nee Ewing who died in 1901, all inherited from his estate.

My gt grandmother's sister was taken to the Carey's Monument at Duneane and the Temple of Liberty at Toome on her Wedding Day (13 Dec 1898) after the Wedding breakfast.

The marriage took place at the 2nd Randalstown Presbyterian Church. I believe a John McKelvey was one of the original congregation who founded this church.

That is about the extent of my McKelvey knowledge at this time, though I expect the McKelvey's who are linked to later branches of the Ewing family are probably related.

Cheers

Linda (NZ).

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 April 14 00:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you LindeL

Now that I have a name for Margaret McKelvey I can add her to my tree as an Aunt of Mary McKelvey and so can add John Carey & his father John and tie down that relationship. In my notes from the Feb26th 1898 extract, I had put John's father down as a James Carey, but I did get a bit lost in the relationships mentioned.

Cheers

Linda

Offline Sharon Moore

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 March 20 06:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda
I pretty new to this family tree but really interested in finding out a bit more about the Carey Family
My Grandmother was Annie daughter of Sarah and Francis, Francis father and mother were William and Mary
I have been asked did William My Grandfather x3 inherit the Temple of Liberty at Toome built by John Carey
Im not to sure
My mother Sadie, Annies daughter told me about a minister who was a possible murderer and walked around with a wheel barrel full of money giving it to the poor and that the Careys were related to Ann Boleyn, now this was a storey I was told when I was very young
You just don't take in everything and when you have an interest the people you want to take to are no longer here
I would love to know any more information about the Carey family and their connections
advice please
Ive just had my DNA taken a2 months ago and Im on the search for some info about my History
thank you

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 March 20 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

I have not really researched the Carey family though I noticed the other day that Ancestry does suggest that I may have a McKelvey DNA match. That is one of 40 DNA matches that I have assigned to my Ewing family. I can place a large number of those matches in my extended Ewing family. Onw of my matches a Robert Ewing also says he has a McKelvey DNA match.

I can confirm most of what you have heard but I will have to dig out some of my hard copy documents for details as I have not written much or given sources. For instance I have not noted the date of this article below which I must have copied about 7 years ago. Yes the peerage in question does relate to the Boleyn family and Ann Boleyn's sister is the one who married a Carey.

I do know that my Ewing3x gt grandmother and her siblings alive after 1897 ish all probably received a part of the estate of John Carey. I am fairly sure that the Temple of Liberty burned down and it was in the family of the claimant below when that happened. I have paper copies of various newspaper items sent to me by an Irish, cousin which I will look out tomorrow.

Belfast Carter and the Peerage
Interesting to Ballinderry People

The Belfast News-letter says – The publication of our columns of the singular claims made by Frederick Wm. Carey, carter, residing in Ballymacarrett, aroused widespread interest, not locally alone, but throughout the United Kingdom. The leading London, as well as the English, Scotch and Irish provincial newspapers gave extensive extracts from our article, and not a few commented upon the remarkable nature of the case. The edition of the Belfast News – letter containing the article was in large demand, and the copies since have been almost exhausted. One result of the wide publicity given to the affair, and which is, perhaps, not cause for surprise was been to bring forward a number of other claimants to the estate of the late John Carey, of Toome. What may eventually ensue is hard to predict, but Frederick Wm. Carey continues to be confident in the success of his efforts. As we previously pointed out he was so successful, when last the matter was before the Master of the rolls in the Dublin Courts, as to displace John McKelvie, by whom a conditional order was obtained on the ground that he was the nearest of kin, but whose relativity was on the maternal side, while Carey’s is on the paternal.

Cheers

Linda

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 March 20 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon

Also yes John Carey was a Presbyterian Minister and yes he was accused of the murder of another Presbyterian Minister, but not convicted. John did make a lot of money and was a philanthropist and built  Temple  and a water pump somewhere but I am not sure about the wheel barrow.

The Mid-Antrim Historical Group published a booklet about John Carey. ISBN 1-873243-05-7. Jointly published by the Antrim and District Historical Society (ISBN 0-9515280-3-3) in 1991 one hundred years after John Carey's death.

The cover photo is of the Temple of Liberty.

it is a collection of articles and the inside cover page is an article by the Belfast Telegraph on 18 March 1911  title "The morning after the fire". This is the fire that destroyed the Temple at Toomebridge, endowed in 1866 by John Carey

Cheers

Linda

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 March 20 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah

One article I read said that John Carey's heir was a William Carey of Broomhedge aged 65 on 13 Jun 1900.  I looked up the 1901 census and this seemed to best match William Carey of Creenagh ( I have no idea where that is) aged 68 in 1901, wife Mary aged  66 and son Francis Carey aged 47 with wife Sarah aged 43. I believe the children all belong to this couple not William and Mary. The family are still there in 1911 and it says that William and Mary were married 56 years and had 4 children. William died in 1915 (PRONI will)

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Magheramesk/Creenagh/999499/

Francis married Sarah Hanna on 19 Nov 1875.

(https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1875/11218/8112161.pdf

I think this looks like your family.

Cheers

Linda