Author Topic: Robert Liddell b.c1793 Brewer  (Read 2894 times)

Offline liddell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Liddell b.c1793 Brewer
« on: Monday 30 July 07 10:32 BST (UK) »
Is My G.G.G.Grandfather, any further information please .Jennifer

Offline MoBear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Liddell b.c1793 Brewer
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 August 14 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, I think that I can help a bit. I too am hunting for info for this person, as he is possibly (probably??) my direct ancestor too. However, there are a number of Robert Liddell/Liddle's married to Ann(e)'s (surnames generally not known) in Durham and Northumberland in the early 1820's, and it is VERY difficult to sort them out (I am still trying!).

There are at least two Robert+Ann Liddle families in Morpeth in the 1820's.

I have more details, and can let you have them should you want them.

Regards,

MoBear

Offline liddell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 August 14 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi  MoBear
Thanks for your reply.
iam related to Elizabeth Liddell b.1828 my  g.g.grandmother. i have her marriage cert. to Watson Hope in1853 which says her father is Robert a brewer. Although  the Bishops transcript for Elizabeths birth in 1828 in Morpeth lists Robert as a yeoman.
I would appreciate any further info .
liddell

Offline MoBear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 August 14 19:33 BST (UK) »
Oh My! That does tend to put the proverbial cat amongst the pigeons doesn't it?

The info that I have (had??) is that Robert Liddle (the Yeoman) and his wife Ann (surname unknown) had three children - William, b 1823; Mary (b 1825, died 2 days old); and Elizabeth (b 1828). I have followed some of Elizabeth's descendents, and have also (a year or two ago) have been in contact with one of them.

The other Robert Liddle (the Brewer) and his wife Ann (Surname also unknown) appear to have had nine children - Sarah, b 1816; Ralph Robson, b 1819; Ann, b 1822 (died 8 weeks old), William, b 1823 (my ancestor, born in Newcastle); Margaret Robson, b 1824; Mary Ann, b 1826 (died aged 2 years); Dorothy, b 1829; Matthew, b 1832 (died aged 2 years); and Charles Thomas, b 1835 (died 9 months old). You also referred to a Robert (in earlier posts), which, if correct, makes it ten children.

There is definitely one, possibly two other Robert + Ann(e) pairings that I know of who were alive in the same time frame and areas as the families above.

I too found the 1816 marriage of Robert Liddle and Ann Robson, but according to the parish record (I have a photo of the page) he was a labourer and could not write, so I am very uncertain that that pair are the parents of any of the above kids. It is also the only Robert+Ann(e) marriage that I have found, despite much searching.

Your marriage certificate for Elizabeth raises the possibility the the two Williams listed above are one and the same person, although why a child born in Newcastle should be baptised in Morpeth (quite distance in 1823) is a question I have not been able to answer satisfactorily. Perhaps that is one you can answer!

Regards,

MoBear

Offline MoBear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 August 14 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have just had a careful look at the info that I have regarding Ann, William (my one), and Margaret Robson.

Ann was born about 1 Feb 1822, William on 22 Jan 1823 (from official records), and Margaret before 24 May 1824 (her baptism date). So three children in just over three years, tough by anybody's standards. The point is however, is that it doesn't rule out the two williams as being one and the same person.

MoBear

Offline liddell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 August 14 20:03 BST (UK) »
hi Mo Bear
i had rightly or not put all the children as one family, i have 11 on my list.
i have an IGI record of a marriage between Robert and Ann Robson 5/5/1816 in Gateshead,
Quoting batch no.7713824  sheet 12 source1059183.
And another IGI record Robert's Christening  at St. Nicholas Newcastle 26/11/1792 parents Robert and Elizabeth.
1841 census shows Robert and Elizabeth and daughters Margaret 16yrs and Dorothy 11 yrs
1951 census shows Robert a widower and brewer born in Mousin .living with Dorothy his daughter his housekeeper
 What is really odd is Dorothy's birth record shows her father is an Ostler.
Robert perhaps had other jobs apart from brewer.
My grand father said we had a brewer in the family, we thought it might be Vaux  Ha Ha !!

Offline MoBear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 August 14 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for your info, especially regarding Robert's christening which gives his parents' names. I had been informed by other contacts that Robert's parents were Robert and Elizabeth, but had never been given the source of the info, and had been unable to find it for myself.

I agree with you about Dorothy's father's occupation - it does rather raise some questions as to what he actually did for a living.

I have a record for Dorothy from the 1851 census, which shows her as being in London, and it was actually this record that first alerted me to the fact that my ancestral family was more than just two brothers! Tracing the family from that bit of information is a very involved story, and much too complicated to tell here. It was also a big shock, as certainly my father (and probably his father) had no idea that his great grandfather had sisters, and none of the family records from the mid 1800's make any mention of female relatives of the two brothers (Ralph Robson and William) that I knew about.

Will contact you later with more info.

MoBear 

Offline MoBear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Since my last post, I have done more work on the Liddell/Liddle family, and have found information which clearly shows that Robert Liddle (the Brewer) and Robert Liddle (the Yeoman) are in fact the same individual. However, quite why he was recorded with two distinctly different occupations at overlapping times is not clear.

The evidence that I have is the following:

Elizabeth Liddle, daughter of Robert Liddle (the Yeoman), married Watson Hope and had a daughter Dorothy Hope (b.  Sunderland, 1868) as well as other children. After Watson Hope's death in 1874, Elizabeth married Edward Young in 1882.

In the 1901 Census, a Dorothy Hope, aged 32 and born in Sunderland, was listed as the niece of Margaret Strathmore (b. Morpeth 1824). So Margaret Strathmore must be the sister of either Dorothy's mother or Dorothy's Father.

Margaret Liddle (b. Morpeth 1824) lived with her father Robert Liddle (the Brewer) until he died in 1865 (in Bishopwearmouth), and she then married William Strathmore, a widower, in 1866. William Strathmore died in 1877, and Margaret died in July 1901, shortly after the Census. In her will Margaret leaves her estate to Elizabeth Young (widow) and Dorothy Hope (spinster). These two people are clearly the same two people discussed above and, combined with the 1901 Census information,  confirms that Margaret and Elizabeth were sisters. and hence Robert Liddle (the Yeoman, Elizabeth's father) and Robert Liddle (the Brewer, Margaret's father) must be the same person.

MoBear

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

Did Robert Liddell die in 1868, if he did there may be a Will for him on Ancestry

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich