Author Topic: Deaths at Seaton Sluice-burial place(s)?completed  (Read 42360 times)

Offline micksharp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Deaths at Seaton Sluice-burial place(s)?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 01 January 09 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I don't think we're related.

Was up at Woodhorn a couple of weeks ago and looked at the burial registers for St Albans - Luke Sharp (my GGranda) is definitely in the cemetery somewhere. I know there's a number you can ring to get info about the graves and if you'd like me to do and have a look for anything you want -  I'd like to find out where Luke is as well!

I know what you mean about the dangerous graves - I did a bit prowling around last week and it's in a state.

By the way, you can search the Northumberland Archives online and I know there are a few photos of Watson Sharp's house:

http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/catalogue/Quicksearch.htm?submit=Search+Catalogue

My GGGranda William was only in Hartley briefly (I think!). He is living there in 1874 when he married my GGGrandma Elizabeth Dobie. However, his sister Mary married Richard Bloomfield and are living in Quarry Row by 1881 so he might have moved up there and stayed with her.

Let me know if you want me to get the Earsdon info.

Thanks, Mick

Sharp (Yorshire, Durham Northumberland)
Millar, Miller (Bannockburn, Edinburgh)
Brooks, Middleton, Liddle, Sutcliffe

Offline belhay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 01 January 09 19:01 GMT (UK) »
hi thanks for the offer to look up information. I have photos of Watson sharps house thanks my mother was born at the West End Old Hartley so I,ve photos of the area and I still have cousins and a niece living there. The only person I,m stuck on and so is everyone else it seems is Thomas Langley born 1796.died 1845 I know he is buried at Earsdon but I don,t know where  On his childrens baptism records he states Stonemason of Jarrow but his marriage differs each time.between Tynemouth St Hildas, Earsdon, All Saints newcastle and I can,t find a marriage at any of these churches.  I seem to have everyone else from the Old Hartley area accounted for. Earsdon churchyard hasn,t always looked a mess.  I used to go there often in the 1950s 60s and the graves were all in neat rows going down the hill I,m glad my mother isnt able to see the mess its in now. 

Offline micksharp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 01 January 09 19:54 GMT (UK) »
I was quite surprised as well. I used to live in Shiremoor and I think my dad took me there when I was small (60s) and I seem to remember it being okay. He had no idea his granda (Luke Sharp (d.1930)was buried there. His other granda (Hugh Millar (d. 1943)) used to live in the same area so I'm just assuming he's buried there as well. I suppose they could be buried on the hill but as they were quite poor I don't know if they'd have a stone.

The last time I was there was, I think, in the late 70s for a relation's funeral and it doesn't seem to have grown much!

I'll enquire about Thomas Langley when I go.

Mick

Offline Annied22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 01 January 09 21:00 GMT (UK) »
It wasn't too bad 25 years ago when I found my great great grandfather's grave near the Hartley Pit Disaster memorial, but I could weep at the mess it all is now. The last time I was there that whole area was completely overgrown. You could no longer even see any gravestones, let alone read them. Winter is certainly the best time to have any chance of searching successfully.
Dickinson, Forster, Crisp, Davy, Sankey, Herdman, Watts, Elder, Seaton Sluice

Vezey, London

Offline micksharp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 01 January 09 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Too right, quite upsetting. There is an information board at the bottom of the vehicle track promoting the nature/wildlife aspect of the cemetery, which really isn't any good for people looking for ancestors! Hopefully the vicar will be able to point me in the right direction!

Offline brushbroomstick

• RootsChat Senior
  • John William Vickers & Emma Robson my grandparents
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 03 January 09 12:42 GMT (UK) »
I lived in the Cannon Inn at Earsdon and was married at St Albans church. My parents ashes are buried near the church door.
I visited on New Years day and was extremely shocked to see the state of the churchyard.
I feel for people trying to trace relatives graves.
Broom(e) - Staffs/Shropshire/ Durham
Burnett - Northumberland & Scottish Borders
Dickson - Scottish Borders/ Northumberland
Henry - Londonderry/ Durham
Morrell - Shropshire
Neale - Norfolk/Northumberland
Powell - Shropshire
Robson - Northumberland/Durham
Stott - Northumberland/Durham
Taylor- Holy Island/Bedlington
Vass- Inverness/ Newcastle/ Durham
Vickers- Cumberland/ Durham

Offline micksharp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 12 January 09 13:35 GMT (UK) »
I've just spoken to the vicar at St Alban's and have been told that no actual maps exist. He was very helpful - the plots (dating back to the 1700s) were only numbered and no actual names were entered on a register! This is because they thought a) who'd be looking for ancestors two hundred years hence?, and b) people knew where their recently-deceased relatives were. So, unless you know a plot number, you won't find anything.

However, some students did some research and they did manage to cross-reference something with something else so he has a very incomplete list of who's buried where. Unfortunately not my GGrandparents.

Mick

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 06:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I have just started to photograph all available gravestones at St Albans. As many of you will know the church yard is in an extremely poor state and this makes getting good photographs very difficult. Hopefully I should have all stones photographed and transcribed by spring and will be available at http://www.gravestonephotos.com/index.php . You never know you could get lucky and find a family stone.

Gary
Preshous: Yorkshire/Durham
Penwrights: Bedfordshire/Tasmania
Blake: Sunderland
Stace: Sussex/Sunderland
Murray: Cumberland
Sanderson: Berwickshire/Durham
Burnside: Darlington

Offline micksharp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Good luck Gary. Will obviously keep checking the site.

Mick