Author Topic: The Curry Family Stobbylee Farm.  (Read 5898 times)

Offline McInOvingham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Curry Family Stobbylee Farm.
« on: Friday 18 November 11 15:02 GMT (UK) »

The Curry’s Of Stobbylee East Farm Whitley Chapel.

Curry was my mother’s middle name and I’ve traced the family back to the Stobbylee East Farm in the High Quarter of Hexhamshire.  I have Land Tax Returns naming John Curry as the occupant of this farm in 1780 and 1781.( Incidentally the same records show Joseph Armstrong as the Farmer for the West Farm and John Armstrong for Park House, see earlier threads re Armstrong by Moni 2008.)

Over the period 1780- 1813 at least 18 Curry births were registered at Whitley Chapel, having been born at Stobbylee.  John Curry was married in 1777 and William his brother (?) who farmed nearby at Lilswood, in 1779.  All of the respective families are detailed in the IGI  ( John 10 children and William 8 Children.)

I have a copy of John’s will and bequests are made to all of the Family including Thorngreen Lime Kiln and a Coal Pit.  The former is still in existence but unfortunately it is a Victorian replacement.  In addition the farm is still occupied, but as a single unit.

I am descended from John’s son Robert  (born 1787) who as a Master Mason moved down to the Coal Fields to sink mine shafts.  His son Robert (born 1823) similarly trained was also a Master Mason.

I have been unable to trace John And William’s parents.  Any help would be appreciated.
Curry,Clement,McIntosh,Edwards,Blair,Hunter, Roycroft(NZ)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
Re: The Curry Family Stobbylee Farm.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 November 11 06:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You won't find John and William's baptisms at Whitley chapel for the probable dates of John and William's baptisms

From genuki's page for Whitley St Helens NBL
http://www.genuki.bpears.org.uk/NBL/Whitley/ChurchRecords.html:
Records of baptisms 1764-1995, marriages 1765-1989 and burials 1764-1994

The following parishes are adjacent to Whitley:- Allendale, Blanchland, Corbridge, Hexham, Hunstanworth DUR, Slaley.

I have found people from Riddlehamhope (also in the Stobbylee area) being baptised at Hunstanworth for this time period. Hexham should also be considered.

Gen in Northumberland UK
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 November 11 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Do you want the Curry baptisms after 1812?

There was also in 1812--Dec 15 a John Curry baptised illig son of John Curry jr, Stobblee Farm and Ann Anderson of Hezeley well

To help you figure out John sr's age there is a burial of a John Currey, age 55, Stobby Lee, 29 Jun 1813, and William Curry, Lilswood, age 63, 17 Jun 1814.  Hannah Curry, age 61, of Lilswood buried 23 Mar1824.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline McInOvingham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 November 11 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gen

Thanks for your very rapid response.  According to William Curry’s very detailed tombstone in St Helen’s, Mildred Curry, his daughter b. 1792 married James Dodd b. 1790.  She died at High Staples 1847 and James died 1890.

Whilst John Curry’s tombstone is surprisingly brief and if dates are correct he was born in 1758.

Also, Robert Curry, William’s son of Lilswood made a will in 1821.  He bequeathed  most of his estate to Mary his sister wife of Michael Dodd, (who is also his sole executor) yet the will is dated when Robert is only 24!!  He died at Longlee in 1851 when he was 54.

In 2009 my wife and I attended a lecture on Hexhamshire given by Liz Sobell in Whitley Chapel Village Hall.  It was good to see stinted pasture lands with John and William’s name on them depicted on the screen.

The search continues - the Curry’s are legion in the area.

Gordon (Ovingham, Northumberland)

Offline McInOvingham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 November 11 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janis,
Thanks for your input, I have most of the Curry Baptism's post 1812. They were legion!
Gordon (Ovingham Northumberland)

Offline No-one

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gordon,

This info may be of interest though it's probably not your direct Curry line.

William Armstrong (1783-1858), son of the John Armstrong of Park House that you mention in your previous posting, married Ann Curry on 7 Jan 1804 in Hexham. I haven't investigated Ann's parental background, but since Park House and Stobbylee were close, she may well be related to your Currys.

By 1826 William and Ann had moved to Riddlehamhope. Ann died in 1847.

With best wishes

Moni
LOFTUS Durham
LOVEGREEN Sunderland and Durham
ARMSTRONG Hexhamshire and Consett
LEATHEARD Northumberland and Durham
RICHARDSON Durham

Offline McInOvingham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Moni,

Thanks for your good news, nice to hear from you.
According to my records Ann Curry was the second child of John Curry and Hannah Ward who married in 1777.  Ann was born Aug 24 1781 at Stobbilee. Ann and husband William Armstrong (married 7 Jan 1804) are mentioned in John Curry's Will.
Was he the boy next door!!
PS I have photos of Stobbillee.
Regards  Gordon

Offline McInOvingham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 December 11 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Moni,
Thanks for your recent reply. (which I appear to have lost!)
In John Curry's will dated 1813, which is in the Tyne & Wear Archives, he leaves the following :-
To Hannah his wife £20 / year
To his three sons William, John, and Robert as tenants in common land
To George £100 when 21
To Thomas £100 when 21
To daughters Margaret, Mary and Elizabeth £50 when 21
To Ann wife of William Armstrong £10
To Hannah wife of John Nicholson £10
To John Curry the running of Thorn Green Lime Kiln and Coal Pit and Corn Tithes in High Quarter.

Considering the youngest of the above was 15 at the time of his death John was looking ahead and was quite wealthy.
Note the will is difficult to read in places.
I'd welcome any info on Ann and Williams family
Regards 
Gordon

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi

I realise that this is quite an old post but it seems we have Stobbylee Farm in common.  My ancestor John Winter was tenant farmer at Stobbylee from the late 1820's (his father died there in 1828) and the Winter family remained there until some time between 1861 & 1871.

John married Mildred Currey - daughter of Robert Currey & Cicely Cook - in 1844.  She was by then a widow having previously married Robert Bell.  On the 1841 census John is at Stobbylee and Mildred (Bell) is on the opposite page at Riddlehamhope. 

John & Mildred had two children, Anthony (1844) and Mildred (1848).  Mildred Snr died in 1869 and is buried at St Michael & All Angels, Houghton le Spring.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.