Author Topic: Poverty in the 1960's and 1970's  (Read 6078 times)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Re: Poverty in the 1960's and 1970's
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 11:32 BST (UK) »
I know it's not as bad as the photos shown, but I used to live in what had once been a fine Edwardian house in Scotland, which the landlord had let go to rack and ruin.

The old washhouse was still attached to the basement kitchen, and accessed from outside. It had a toilet and washbasin in it. We never used it - it was outside, FHS, and we had a small indoor bathroom! What's more in winter the pipes would freeze -not just the taps but even the water in toilet cistern would freeze solid, sometimes for a couple of weeks at a time.

The landlord described this as a "second bathroom" and expected it be used as such.

This was in the 1980s.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 11:50 BST (UK) »
Of course Cathy Come Home which dealt with homelessness and poverty was first aired in 1966.

You can still see this programme on youtube,  I think it must have had a re-run at some time because I remember watching it.

Now, I don't want to get political; however it makes my blood boil when all I here is MP's calling for "affordable housing" and expecting that all families or indeed single people should own/buy their own home.  For many people this is never going to happen.

If you are already on benefits or low wages plus benefits how are you supposed to afford to rent.  Here locally you cannot find any private rental accommodation under £500 a month, if you're looking at something like a 2 bed flat you can add another £250+ to that.  Add to that fees and deposits, then you still have to feed yourself and keep warm.

Sorry rant over..........
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 13:18 BST (UK) »
What's particularly unpleasant is that the Daily Mail wants its readers to think that there is no real poverty in the UK today, and that there aren't any children growing up in substandard housing with an inadequate diet, because being poor in Britain in 2014 means "just not having the latest PlayStation or trendy trainers"  ::)

So true, some people haven't a clue or just don't care

Mo

But that is the press, or at least most of it. Doing its bit by distortion to perpetuate a rotten system.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 16:56 BST (UK) »

Those pics look like us, well at least the dirt does.

Reminds me of when I was a kid and used to walk to school.
We were so poor, back then, that when we walked past the farm duck pond,
the ducks used to throw bread AT US!

;D
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 16:56 BST (UK) »
Looked at them and found them really shocking. Growing up in that period, I'd not seen anything like that! Makes me realise how fortunate I and many others were.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 October 14 18:18 BST (UK) »
What infuriates me is that given the political will both inside and outside Parliament it is all preventable.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 11 October 14 11:51 BST (UK) »
I know it's not as bad as the photos shown, but I used to live in what had once been a fine Edwardian house in Scotland, which the landlord had let go to rack and ruin.

I obviously don't know the facts of your case, but I think we have to be a little bit careful of the attitude that landlords just "let their properties go to rack and ruin" and dig down a little deeper.

In the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s, many rented properties were owned by landlords who had no private pensions and had done what their parents and grandparents had done - invested their savings in rented housing that they expected to provide them with a retirement income.

It had worked for their parents and grandparents; but it didn't work for them.

Why not?

Two things - the Rent Acts, which gave their tenants the right to register a "fair rent" which could not be easily increased, and rampant inflation (which, let us not forget, hit 27% in 1974).

In the 1950s my grandfather invested in a block of four newly built maisonettes in Buckhurst Hill, which he doubtless expected to provide a healthy income in retirement (if you know Buckhurst Hill, it was 67 Palmerston Road). He died in the 1960s. In the 1970s, though, I remember the maisonettes being the bane of my grandmother's life. They were all "fair rented", and what remained of the rent after tax was an absolute pittance - scarcely enough to meet her landlord's routine repairing obligations, and she lived in abject terror of needing to replace the roof, since the income from the maisonettes was never going to pay for that.

And she was reasonably wealthy (my grandfather's estate, when he died in 1963, was valued at £52,000 odd).

Many landlords were less well placed than her, and found that having sunk their savings into property, the returns were scarcely enough to provide them with enough to live on. They didn't WANT to leave their houses to go to rack and ruin ... but they lacked the means to do anything else.

Yes, doubtless there WERE the occasional Rachmanns; but for the most part, I think that in many cases the landlords were victims of circumstances no less than their unfortunate tenants.

I found these photographs deeply moving - many of the children shown would be about my age (I was born in 1967) and it is a poignant reminder of how things were.

One thing really did jar, though ... one of the captions refers to a "buggy".

The photograph does NOT feature a buggy. It features a PUSHCHAIR. It was not until the 1980s that the word pushchair began to fall out of use, as new designs of pushchair began to appear which were dubbed "baby buggies" to make them appear swish and up-to-the-minute and must-have accessories. So much more modern than a staid old pushchair, don't you think? By the 90s, of course, "baby buggy" had been contracted to "buggy", and nobody ever spoke of a pushchair.

But in the 1960s and 1970s? It's a pushchair, every time.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 11 October 14 15:59 BST (UK) »
As a teenager in the 60's it didn't take me long to spot that the way to avoid poverty was to not have children until you could afford to house and feed them properly. Folk who produced too many babies when they were very young themselves invariably had a poor quality of life, I noticed.
By the mid60's it was perfectly possible to avoid unwise pregnancies and thus poor housing etc.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 11 October 14 16:56 BST (UK) »
As a teenager in the 60's it didn't take me long to spot that the way to avoid poverty was to not have children until you could afford to house and feed them properly. Folk who produced too many babies when they were very young themselves invariably had a poor quality of life, I noticed.
By the mid60's it was perfectly possible to avoid unwise pregnancies and thus poor housing etc.

The husband of Cathy (in Cathy Come Home) had a steady job and presumably felt in a position to afford a house and feed a family.  He was sensible enough......until he lost his job, when all his caution went out of the window.

We all live in the hope that something catastrophic will not happen to throw us into a really difficult situation. 
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex