Author Topic: NAS Catalogue  (Read 1094 times)

Offline sallytay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
NAS Catalogue
« on: Monday 20 October 14 20:57 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can assist. I am on the National Records of Scotland researching a criminal ancestor. I see the result, but at the very bottom of the information there is a link to a reference NA4265 Alloa Stirlingshire
I click the link and it leads nowhere. I do have all the papers relating to the criminal case though I want to know what the significance is of the associated places references.
Incidentally, the accused William Kerr had absconded before the trial. Any advice or info please. I have pasted the record info below.
Many thanks
Reference Title Date
AD14/28 Crown Office precognitions, 1828 1828

Country code GB
Repository code 234
Repository National Records of Scotland
Reference AD14/28/331
Title Precognition against William Kerr for the crime of forgery
Dates 1828
Access status Open

Location On site

Level File

Finding aids 19th Century Solemn Database

Related record JC26/1828/2

Accused William Kerr, baker and flour dealer, Address: Moffat, Dumfriess

Associated places

NA4265 Alloa, Stirlingshire, Scotland

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: NAS Catalogue
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 October 14 22:06 BST (UK) »
If he was to have been tried at the High Court - and given that it was a case at Solemn Procedure that is highly likely - the case would have been heard at the next sitting of the High Court regardless of where in the Country that was.

At that time there were few fixed High Court Sittings and it went around the country in a Circuit and cases which came into its remit would be heard then regardless of where in the country they were committed or where the Court was sitting.

Offline sallytay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 08:42 BST (UK) »
If he was to have been tried at the High Court - and given that it was a case at Solemn Procedure that is highly likely - the case would have been heard at the next sitting of the High Court regardless of where in the Country that was.

At that time there were few fixed High Court Sittings and it went around the country in a Circuit and cases which came into its remit would be heard then regardless of where in the country they were committed or where the Court was sitting.

Thank you. The case was heard in April 1828, and William Kerr failed to attend and was detailed as fugitive. Frustratingly can not find any other future details on him:(

Offline zanzilady

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 January 16 07:46 GMT (UK) »
I have found records relating to Robert Farquhar, Crown Office Precognition AD14/43/319 and JC26/1843/461 and am wondering what sort of cost is involved in ordering these papers from NAS? Has anyone done this and can you give me a rough estimate of what it cost and whether the information is worth it? thanks
SAUNDERS, North Sydney, NSW, AUST.