Author Topic: Ebenezer Chapel ( Primitive Methodist) Halifax burial ground 1890s?  (Read 30535 times)

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
Ebenezer Chapel ( Primitive Methodist) Halifax burial ground 1890s?
« on: Sunday 13 September 09 07:33 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if the Ebenezer Chapel ( Primitive Methodist) Halifax had its own burial ground in the 1890s?  If so, where are  the burial records  now please? Are they available on fiche?

James Hargreaves b 1824 and his wife Ann b 1822 died in the Crossley Almshouses in mid 1890s and their burial place is unknown to me. They seem to have had links with the Ebenezer Chapel ( Primitive Methodist) Halifax  and I wonder if that is not the obvious starting point for locating their graves.

Any help, suggestions, guidance much appreciated..
Thank you,
charlotte

Offline em

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Ebenezer Chapel ( Primitive Methodist) Halifax burial ground 1890s?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 September 09 08:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Charlotte

Here is a little info on the Chapel.  It was build in 1822.  There was a small burial ground in the front of the Chapel but was removed for road widening in 1905.

regards

em
bristol:  cleeve;  beese
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 September 09 08:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks em for that info. 
  So that means the local authorities came in and, if they did as happened in Accrington Lancs, exhumed those buried there  and had them cremated and that was the end of that.

What you have said also means, by implication, that there should be church records of the burials- and my couple come within the time the burial ground was there. 
charlotte

Offline maidmarion

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 September 09 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Charlotte,
Have a look at the West Yorkshire Archives catalogue at this link for all the Non Conformist registers.
Choose Family History and then collections /user guides. :)

http://www.archives.wyjs.org.uk/index.asp?pg=ablocw.html

I can't see the one you are after though :(

Guess you've tried Stoney Royd Cemetery?  :-\

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 September 09 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have the non conformist cat of chapels

Ebenezer on micro 1828-1837 baps and nothing else at calder dale archives WYAS no burials. or marriages
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 September 09 17:02 BST (UK) »
found this in WYAS in their online search!

Calderdale GB 203 
Catalogue reference number help TS/EB 
Extent help 0.01/1 item 
Title help EBENEZER METHODIST CHURCH, HALIFAX, TOMBSTONE SCHEDULE. 
Date help 18th-19th century 
Description help Inscriptions of gravestones in Times Office Yard. Recorded 1966 prior to grassing over. 
Subject METHODIST RECORDS 
Subject MONUMENTAL INSCRIPTIONS 
Access status help Open 
Catalogue status Catalogued 
Access conditions AVAILABLE IN THE SEARCHROOM AND DOES NOT NEED TO BE ORDERED IN ADVANCE 
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 September 09 04:22 BST (UK) »
Hi dobfarm, thank you for that info. It was new to me.
I doubt James & Ann Hargreaves who died when residents in the Crossley Almshouses would have had money for tombstones so the MIs from the Ebenezzer Chapel are unlikely to record them.

maidmarion hi, That is a good link- thank you . Unfotunately I live in Aus so searching the fiche at the archives is only a dream. The list of fiche is very comprehensive. I wish there was such a thing as intercountry loan!

I haven't tried Stoney RoydCem... do you suggest that as it is close to the Almshouses which I believe are in Arden Rd Halifax?

Thanks again,
charlotte

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 September 09 08:17 BST (UK) »
Hi CharlotteCH
No doubt your burial is a pauper grave but even so is most likely in the cemetery those years. and Halifax (Calderdale) cem/crem office will have the record of this! Also may a record in a local newspaper.. Halifax social studies Library will have this on fich/film and charge little if not free! on known dates search and Will send you a copy by post with a cheque & SAE 50 pence UK or Cents $ in Aussy Tops with postage 5$- Search charge if any! at extream top off charge 30$ Aussy

These fiche/film of these old none conformist chapels at Halifax are in a right old state of affairs and unfortunately the originals are held at Kew in London- (like trying to get a cupa in fort knox canteen! possible! but cold when you get it after unlocking all the doors)

BumbleB is the expert on Halifax  find her in Rootschat search 'Archbell' and shes come back to UK Oct 2nd off her Hols.

I'll have a word with Alex the collection manager of WYAS tonight for advice on at Wakefield. I'm at Warwick records office the rest of the Week and Matlock! but maybe back Friday in Yorkshire and call at Halifax.

regards Dobby

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 September 09 08:38 BST (UK) »
PS

Charlotte

You may know of these two chaps but if not! find Lenny Beaumont who does 'Yorkshire Beaumont's' but also Spouses maiden names of Beaumont's -He a formost genealogist and his Email is on the net. A really nice man for advice! Halifax is his back yard.

Steve Whitwam another Genealogist who founded the FHS Halifax /Huddersfield. again Email on the web

Both have 30 years in ancestry and great friends.

If there is a record of this (these) burial they will know of it most likely.

Robin Hoods girl friend above is one of the best in your country on UK ancestry -Oops

Dobby.