Author Topic: The Fellbeck Grange family  (Read 1168 times)

Offline sidelong

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Fellbeck Grange family
« on: Tuesday 19 August 14 20:51 BST (UK) »
I am researching the Grange side of my family, and have arrived at three brothers who all give Fellbeck, Pateley as their place of birth on the various Census returns. What I am attempting to do is clear up uncertainty as to who their parents were. All were born in the early 1800s. Their names were Benjamin (born circa 1811), Abraham (born circa 1813) and Thomas (born circa 1818). There is a record of the Baptism at Hampsthwaite of a Thomas Grange in 1818, with the parents named as Benjamin and Mary Grange. There is also a record of the marriage in Hampsthwaite, in 1817, of a Benjamin Grange (1796 - 1820?) to Mary Hardisty (Hampsthwaite Parish Church Marriages 1801-1837). It is probably fair to assume that this couple were Thomas' parents. But what about sons Benjamin and Abraham, born before the Hampsthwaite marriage. They could be illegitimate, or the older Benjamin could have had a previous marriage. Indeed it has been suggested, (but I cannot find any evidence to support this), that he married a Sarah (surname unknown) in 1814. Benjamin would have been 18 at the time so this is possible, and Abraham could have been a child of this marriage. Perhaps the three were not all brothers, although there is good evidence that Abraham and Thomas were, or at least they could have been half-brothers. Having said this I have not been able to find any corroboration of who were Abraham's parents, nor of the 1814 marriage. But what about Benjamin the younger? He would have been born when Benjamin the older was at most 15 and unmarried. Is this likely?
I was prompted to write this, having just about run out of ideas, when I saw the posts about Fellbeck cemetary. It is not likely that I will be able to get there any time soon, so if anyone has any information about Grange burials there, or anything else that might be relevant, I would be very grateful to receive it.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Fellbeck Grange family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome sidelong :)
Would this link be any good to you! (BMD records for Nidderdale)
http://www.calverley.info/home.htm
Any problems give me a shout back here.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline sidelong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 23:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you, but yes I have been using this site. Whilst it is good, I couldn't find any additional information. Perhaps it is there but I just couldn't find it. However this is the reason I was running out of ideas.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 23:59 BST (UK) »
What is the source for Benjamin jnr being born c1811? Is it the 1841 census and if so are you aware that ages were rounded down in that census?

If I have the right chap he was said to be 44 in 1851 and 55 in 1861, suggesting a birth c1806-7.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline sidelong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 August 14 23:30 BST (UK) »
Yes I think you are right. This would make it even more unlikely that Benjamin was the son of the older Benjamin. The problem is that I cannot find any references to the parents of either Banjamin or Abraham.