Author Topic: Oldham Cole marriage Cork  (Read 7015 times)

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Oldham Cole marriage Cork
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 February 14 23:11 GMT (UK) »
www.corkpastandpresent.ie
has a marriage entry for a Henry Massey & Ann Bowler 1738 Gillmans Index to Marriage Licence Bonds P 84-p95 :)

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 February 14 15:30 GMT (UK) »
akissling
www.corkgen.org - Pigots Directory 1824 Kinsale lists HENRY MASSEY - Customs Land Waiter :)
Do you have all the siblings for James Oldham who married Ann Cole?

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 09 February 14 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much Mary! Lots of great information and new to our family!
You have helped solve another mystery in the family. The father of my James Oldham (born 1815, married Mary Cole) married Ann Hollis in 1809. We know this for a fact but have only found one reference in Irish Records Extraction so it had no extra details. His father's name was James Oldham (born 1785 to Thomas Oldham and Eleanor Just of London, linen merchant). James was sent to Cork to manage his father's linen business. It is no wonder that we never found a newspaper clipping because his name is listed as John rather than James! Thanks for the name of the church as well as the link to the photo. Your information also gives us a little more information about Ann Hollis.
I also appreciate the information on the possible Poole Rice connection I will check out your leads. Finally, thanks for the William Bowler death notice (died at Henry's home). These are all great pieces that might help our family tree. I need to absorb all of this very helpful information and start investigating.
I can't tell you how appreciative I am for all of your help! Again, thanks so much!
Alison
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 February 14 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ballydw as well! I will see what I can find out about Henry Massey, the customs land waiter (interesting occupation).
You asked if I had the children of John/James and Ann Hollis. Here is what I have (taken from census information and family knowledge...we don't have baptismal or birth information):
Thomas born c1813, James (married to Mary Cole) born c1815, Harriet born c1819, Jane c1822, Caroline born c1824, William c1826, Ann c1829 and John c1830. If you were able to find them do these sound right?
As with Mary, I really appreciate your help! Our family tree is really starting to come together! Thanks again!
Alison

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 February 14 19:28 GMT (UK) »

I found this very interesting reference to the Oldham family Cork  1849 -1870 on microfilm
at the Cork Archives.  see website -

http://www.corkarchives.ie/collections/recentaccessions/

REF no 2008/007   The archives don't do look ups unfortunately.

Mary
Celtic Liberty
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 February 14 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Just had another look at that Oldham ref at the archives and it actually may not be available there,
as there is a reference to TCD which would refer to Trinity College Dublin, so the records may be
held in Dublin rather than Cork.  I can give them a call tomorrow to check it out.

Mary
Celtic Liberty
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 09 February 14 19:43 GMT (UK) »
If that isn't too much trouble that would be fantastic! I have found out a bit more information. It looks like Mary Cole's adoptive mother Mary Bowler remarried John Rice of Gosford. I was able to find her will written in 1841 and she mentions "her adoptive daughter, Mary Cole, spinster"! I would have never made all of these connections without your help! Thanks again!