Author Topic: Stokoe Of Northumberland  (Read 24811 times)

Offline Racing Girl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Stokoe Of Northumberland
« on: Friday 15 October 10 19:03 BST (UK) »
Looking for any possible leads on a Margaret Stokoe bn around 1767 to a Thomas Stokoe.  This is what I know:

She married George Burdis at Hexham on 4th August 1792 and they had seven children.  On most of their christening records she is listed as otp of Warden.  On one of her daughters records it lists this "3rd dau of George, cartwright nop Allendale by his wife Margaret Stokoe dau to Thomas Stokoe nobl" so this is how I know her fathers details.  She died 16 Feb 1848 and I worked out her rough dob from her date of death.

Unfortunately Warden parish records available at the Family Search Pilot start in 1769 and she isn't listed, but she may not have been born there anyway. 

Does "nobl" by her fathers name in the above record just indicate Northumberland?  Anyone run across this family in their searching?

Thanks,
Brenda
Durham/NBL - Cummin(g)s, Stokoe, Burdess, Embleton, Stirrup, Bewick, Doney, Lumsdon, Laws, Bloomfield, Hunter, Henderson, Mosman
Lancashire - Stirrup, Molyneux, Rudd, Golding
Cambs - Palmer, Butler, Levitt, Golding, Skeel,  Howard, Hancock, Bowers, Norton, Colman, Peachey, Crane
Surrey - Palmer
Berks - Cruttwell, Bunce, Batten
IOW - Roach, Robinson
Cornwall - Doney, Gumb, Goyne
S Wales - Thomas, Dickinson (via Cumbria)
Coastguard Families: Clark, Fuller, Grant

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Stokoe Of Northumberland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 October 10 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Brenda,

The nobl shouldn't just indicate Northumberland, it should give his parish - as in native of .....  but I cant think what bl would be used to indicate.

I'm guessing that this baptism was between 1799 and 1813 and the reason for the extra detail was down to the then Bishop of Durham, Shute Barrington, who insisted on additional genealogical detail.  Sadly 1813 saw the introduction of standardised records so it was no longer possible but those few years can be very useful.

Are there any other children baptised within this period where the information might be clearer?

Christine

Offline Racing Girl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 October 10 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine
Most of the children were baptised in Hexham and the BT's online don't start early enough, the others were battised in Haydon Br/Warden, Nbl, Hunstanworth, DUR and Usworth DUR and the only other info is that the mother was a native of Warden, apart from the one daughter that gave a bit more info.  I'll have another look though.

Thanks
Brenda
Durham/NBL - Cummin(g)s, Stokoe, Burdess, Embleton, Stirrup, Bewick, Doney, Lumsdon, Laws, Bloomfield, Hunter, Henderson, Mosman
Cambs - Palmer, Butler, Levitt, Golding, Skeel,  Howard, Hancock, Bowers, Norton, Colman, Peachey, Crane
Surrey - Palmer
IOW - Roach, Robinson

Offline Racing Girl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 October 10 23:16 BST (UK) »
OK, I've had another look at the online records and I think nobl is actually 'native of blank"!  Which is a great help!  The other children who have extra info with them just say Margaret Stokoe is a native of Warden, which covers Haydon Bridge, with the exception of Betty who has the additional info of Margaret's father.

There's a user entered pedigree resource file on the IGI that has correct marriage and death/burial details and lists Margaret's chr as 24 September 1770 in Hayden Bridge.  Problem is, the Family Search BT's for Hayden Bridge start in 1769 and there is no Margaret Stokoe chr in them from 1769-1775.  I can't check the originals to see if she was missed out of the BT's.

Her age at death puts her birth year at 1767, just before the records available on line, bit I realize that that info is only as good as whoever supplied it for the death cert.

Thanks,
Brenda
Surrey - Palmer
IOW - Roach, Robinson

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 October 10 04:58 BST (UK) »
Several families named  Stokoe in Hayden Bridge.  The only Margaret d/o Thomas I found was baptised 9 Dec 1756 d/o Thomas and Hannah of Chapel Hill.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline madmurph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 October 10 13:46 BST (UK) »
i have stokoes in my tree in 1851 at corbridge mill i have thomas stokoe married to mary ?
children
henry
george
thomas
elizabeth m
jane
ann
his wife appears to have died in 1851 and he married his servant jane thorburn let me know if this is connected in anyway
alison
simpson-newcastle upon tyne
ritson-northumberland
clough-northumberland
stokoe-northumberland
o'hara-newcastle upon tyne
spence in ashington northumberland
porter-newcastle upon tyne

Offline Racing Girl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 14:00 BST (UK) »
Several families named  Stokoe in Hayden Bridge.  The only Margaret d/o Thomas I found was baptised 9 Dec 1756 d/o Thomas and Hannah of Chapel Hill.

Janis

Hello Janis
Thanks for that.  I don't suppose there was a Margaret baptised to a William Stokoe between 1765 and 1770ish was there?  A contact I have insists her father was William not Thomas but has no proof for it!

Hello Alison
Unfortunately Margaret and her father are my only two Stokoes at the moment as I can't get a handle on them and any other siblings she might have had.

Thanks all,
Brenda
Surrey - Palmer
IOW - Roach, Robinson

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 19:18 BST (UK) »
Baptisms Hayden Chapel

16 Jan 1763 William Stokoe son of Thomas of Rattan Raw
7 Apr 1765 John Stokoe son of Thomas of Rattan Raw

2 Jan 1863 William Stokoe son of Nicholas of Rattan Raw
25 Aug 1765 John Stokoe son of Nicholas of Rattan Raw
7 Feb 1768 Elizabeth Stokoe daur of Nicholas of Rattan Raw

2 Oct 1774 Elizabeth Stokoe daur of William of Rattan Raw

So at least there was a William in the area having children. 

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 21:20 BST (UK) »

Just wee snippets to add to Janis's Haydon baptisms of Stokoes....

For old maps showing Rattenraw/Ratten Raw, just west of Hayden Bridge town see   http://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/007445FS.htm
 http://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/006216FS.htm

There is also a marriage of a John Stoke in Haydon parsih church 1807 at
 http://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/008146.htm

Michael
Dundee
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.