Author Topic: Ralph Archbold  (Read 9544 times)

Offline StoryWoman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ralph Archbold
« on: Thursday 13 March 14 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I've only just registered on here as I found there are some people researching the Archbold family in Northumberland. We're trying to find out information about Ralph Archbold, born 1860 in Northumberland, to George and Ann Archbold. Any information would be an enormous help, thank you. :-)

I can see replies to my post, but not how to reply them! Until I work out how, thank you to those who have replied. :-)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ralph Archbold
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 March 14 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat.  :)

If you go to the bottom of the rootschat page inside the brown box you will see a heading "Tools". Below that is "Surname Interests". If you click on this it will take you to the Surname Interests Table or SIT. There are two people who have registered the surname Archbold, but unfortunately neither of them has been on rootschat since 2011. After you have made three posts on rootschat (there is a number under your name which tells you how many you have made), you can contact these people directly via Personal Message. If they still have the same contact details, they should then receive your message.

In the meantime, if you need any help with your research I'm sure there are many people who will be happy to help you. You are looking for Ralph's family but can you tell us what you already know about your Archbolds? What exactly would you like help with?
For example do you have Ralph's birth or marriage certificate?
Do you have Ralph and family in the 1861 (and other) censuses?

:)

Offline Telinlethaed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 March 14 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Westmorland Gazette, Saturday, 19 Dec 1829, page 3
On the 2d inst., at Bishopwearmouth, Mr. George Archbold, gardener, aged 56. From the alarm given about the resurrectionists at Sunderland, great pains were taken by his friends to secure the body. The grave was sunk 12 feet deep, a post driven in at each end of the coffin, and a plank of timber nailed to them, passing along the top of the coffin, and then straw put into the grave to stop the spade from working, should a removal of the body be attempted.

++

Morpeth Herald, Saturday, 20 Jun 1885, page 5

CHILD DROWNED AT BLYTH
On Monday evening, the Coroner, Mr. J.R.D. Lynn, held an inquest at the house of Mr. Shields, Golden Fleece Inn, Cowpen Square, touching the death of John George Archbold, aged four years and six months, who had been drowned in close proximity to the new gridiron, Cowpen Square. Mr. Robert Wilson was foreman of the jury. The first witness examined was Mary Ann Richardson, who said, I live at Croft Mills, and the body just viewed by the Coroner and jury is that of my grandson, John George Archbold, and the oldest son of Ralph Archbold, miner, Croft Mills. The deceased went out to play this afternoon about a quarter past one o'clock, but shortly after, about 1:30, a little boy came and shouted John George was drowned. I immediately ran to the river side, near the High Ferry, and I found the deceased lying on his face in about two feet of water near the new gridiron. The deceased was quite dead. There was no one near the child at the time. The deceased had his shoes and stockings off when he went out, and he often waded in the river. There was no one to my knowledge saw the deceased go into the water except a little boy who was with him. I am of opinion the deceased had been wading in the river there and had fallen down a hole at the gridiron and was accidentally drowned. The ferryboatman came to my assistance and he tried the means to restore the child to life but without success. -- Elizabeth Clough deposed that the deceased and her boy, aged five years, and another boy called Jacobs all went out to wade in the river about a quarter past one o'clock this afternoon, and about twenty minutes after her boy came back and reported that John George was drowned. Witness did not see the child in the river. Witness further stated that there was some deep holes near the new gridiron and that the deceased must have fallen down. -- The jury returned a verdict "That the deceased had been accidentally drowned."

Offline Telinlethaed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 March 14 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Morpeth Herald, Saturday, 19 Mar 1892, page 3
Ralph Archbold, miner, Cowpen Square, was charged with begin drunk and disorderly, on Feb. 27th. -- PC Tough and PC Biggar proved the case. -- Fined 7s 6d, and 10s 6d costs.

++

Morpeth Herald, Saturday, 17 Nov 1894, page 8
DEATHS
At Isabella Pit, 24, West Row, 14th inst., aged 36, Sarah Jan Archbold, wife of Mr. Ralph Archbold, of Blyth. All friends are desired to accept this intimation, the members of the "Hope of Blyth" Lodge of Oddfellows being particularly requested to attend. Cortege to leave at 3 p.m. for Cowpen Cemetery.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 March 14 23:41 GMT (UK) »
As you have Ralph b 1860 and parents George and Ann I presume you have found him on the 1861 census? I found them in 1861 living in Newsham - father George is an engineman.
Do you know Ann's surname and the date of marriage of George and Ann?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 March 14 00:41 GMT (UK) »
If you don't already have it, this looks the closest age wise to your Ralph.

From FreeBMD:

Births Dec 1859
ARCHBOLD  Ralph     
Morpeth  10b 247

The 1861 census says Ralph was born in Woodhorn, which comes under Morpeth Registration District.

Purchasing the certificate (at a cost of £9.25) will give father's name and mother's maiden name and confirm if it is your Ralph. Let us know if you need help ordering it.

Looking at FreeBMD, there are a quite a lot of Ralph Archbold's born in Northumberland over the years, so further research would be needed to find out if those mentioned in the articles supplied by Telinlethaed belong to your family.  :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 March 14 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Going back a step or two, just to make sure you are tracing the correct Ralph (as I said, there are a number of them) - how did you get to Ralph b 1860 with parents George and Ann?

It may be better to wait for your responses before continuing with the search to ensure it is the right family and so you can tell us what you already know about them ....

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 March 14 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Couldn't help myself - out of curiosity I looked for George Archbold in the 1841 census, and think I found him as a 5 year old with parents, James and Isabella and younger siblings living in Cowpen.
James is a joiner.

Looks like it is probably the same George as in the 1861 census, as he gives the name Isabella to his own daughter.

Just need further confirmation that this is your Archbold family.

Offline StoryWoman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 March 14 06:27 GMT (UK) »
 :) Thank you for your helpful replies, you're very kind.

We definitely have the right Ralph as we traced him back directly from my grandfather. My sister is compiling the tree and doing most of the research, but she's doing it from th US so I'm following up some local leads. We have BMD info on Ralph, but we have questions about the rest of his offspring, apart from poor John George, by his first marriage to Jane Richardson in 1880, Mary Ann and George. We have Ralph and his second wife on the 1901
census, in Gladstone Street, but then nothing until his death in 1931.