Author Topic: Air Raid Siren, Blyth Fire Station  (Read 6365 times)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Air Raid Siren, Blyth Fire Station
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 00:17 BST (UK) »
Just read your post again - the reason it took me a long time to find is because I didn't notice that you'd put the page number in your post  :-\  :-[

Offline croftpark

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 20:31 BST (UK) »
The sirens mentioned are two different ones.
The fire station one was used to alert off duty fireman that they were needed to man the second appliance, should they be out of the homes, after an initial call out for the on duty crew.  A bell was installed in the homes of all firemen who were available for a call out.  The bell arrangement was used at night of course so as not to awaken the whole town, but it was known for mistakes to be made, much to the annoyance of local residents.
The fire brigade use of the siren ceased when a pager system was introduced however it was still maintained as part of the civil defence system and I think is still in place.
The shipyard had a "hooter" that sounded at 7.25 and 7.30 each morning, and 12.55 and 1.00 in the afternoon as a warning that shifts were about to start.  If you failed to be in the gate by the time of the second warning you were locked out and lost time.  The time keeper was Mr Farley who enjoyed closing the gate on the stragglers.

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 21:11 BST (UK) »
There was a siren above our local police station and I seem to remember it was tested periodically when I grew up in the 60's. Was it not something to do with civil defence and cold war nuclear attack. Was there not a government information film about what to do like hiding under the dining table?

This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 October 14 19:40 BST (UK) »
We called one of those films "Duck and Cover"  if you were out on a picnic and the bomb went off you were to get under the checkered picnic blanket to protect yourself.

We still have sirens going off periodically for testing or the real thing - only they are to announce a tornado in the area.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 October 14 00:21 BST (UK) »
Did someone actually get paid to think of the picnic blanket solution  ;D

So pleased we don't get tornados in Blyth