Author Topic: Bernard Leslie Swift  (Read 2808 times)

Offline whiston

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bernard Leslie Swift
« on: Thursday 25 October 12 17:57 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information regarding Bernard Leslie Swift 
 Loughborough England,parents Bernard Swift and Jessie
Upton Bland.
Educated at Loughborough College (Engineering)
War service - Lieut B L Swift 23 (K.G.V.O. Bengal S.V.M.) the unit was the 23rd
King George V own bengal sappers and miners (royal engineers india)
they were part of the south east asia command under Lord Lousi Mountbatten.
Married at St James church Edinburgh Scotland 1946 Pat French whom he met
in Cape Town when his ship docked on its way to Burma.
They had a daughter Penny born in Scotland, he and his wife returned to South
Africa late 1940's had a number of children divorced and remarried a lady called
Dorothy he had another two children at least.
On the death of his father  his mother Jessie went out to South Africa to live
near him until her death.

T

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline whiston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bernard Leslie Swift
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 October 12 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for information, still unable to find Bernard Leslie Swift but will
keep trying,a relation visit South Africa a couple of years ago but was unable
to discover anything.

regards Catherine

Offline Hebs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 February 14 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I see you've been looking for information about my father, Bernard,Leslie Swift.
He married my mother Doris Olga Carstens and they had 3 children, Diana, myself (Helena) and our brother Roderick, Bernard.
We all still live in South Africa. My parents are sadly both now deceased, my mother fairly recently and my father many years ago. Hope this helps. Kind regards. Helena

Offline whiston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 February 14 14:41 GMT (UK) »
I am really delighted to get you e-mail today with your news, Leslie and I were cousins, my name is
Deanna I think that makes us second cousins how much information do you have regarding Leslie's
family? perhaps I can fill you in with details if you are interested and I do have old photographs.
Have just completed the Swift family tree back from 1902 to 1300 which you are more than welcome to have a copy.
I have so many questions to ask you about your family I do have a photograph of Leslie your mother and a baby could that have been you? I think it was sent to us by Auntie Jessie.
Will be pleased to hear from you again if you are interested but I do understand if you do not have
time to reply, it is ok for me as I am retired and have plenty of time. Kind regards Deanna

Offline Hebs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 February 14 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deanna. This is so unbelievably exciting!  My gran, Jessie, used to tell us about you. We know so very little about our family in England.  Would LOVE to know more. I am still in contact with my Dad's son Tony from his first marriage to Pat. My Dad and Pat had the 3 children, Penny, Tony, and Carol. All still living in SA. Tony is quite a well known South African artist. You can google him. Would  love to share all the info I have, not sure how to make closer contact with you. Between Diana and myself we have tons of photographs. My husband and I are visiting England in September, so this could not have come at a more exciting time!! I also have 2 children Bernard and Sabine, both at university at the moment.  Joyfully. Helena

Offline whiston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 February 14 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your family information, I was a bridesmaid when Leslie married Pat in Edinburgh
if you have the photographs I am the one with blond hair (sadly no longer) and the other bridesmaid was a cousin of Pat's called Vivian who sadly died in childbirth.
Both you and your husband are more than welcome to stay with us when you come to England, on Monday I will ask Steven my Nephew how I can pass my email address to you as I understand
from him that you are restricted in what you can put on Roots Chat.
I will try and goggle Tony Swift as this may be one way round it.
Few details I have been married 53 years (you get less for murder!!) to Barry we have one son
Christopher who is married to Hilary and they have two sons Mark and Richard, Mark is married to
Helen who he met at university and they have just had a daughter Evelyn so we are now great
grandparents and Richard  is a LT in the navy they both graduated with degrees in engineering.
Will now get tea ready after a day of lovely surprises will contact you again.
   Love to you all Deanna

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 March 14 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deanna if Helena makes one more comment on this post even if she just says Hi then the 2 of you can send personal messages to each other privately. You can then share email addresses but if you put your email address on this post they will delete it. Hope this makes sense!
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 March 14 12:15 GMT (UK) »
For Whiston read this.

Personal Messages (PM)

RootsChat is all about community and communication for your family history research. And there are plenty of ways to communicate: Posting on the boards, Personal Messages (PM), E-mail, ICQ, AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) and Yahoo Instant Messenger (YIM).

While e-mail is a good way to correspond privately with members, it has several drawbacks: You must open your e-mail application to write and send the message; the recipient must open his/her e-mail application; check his/her mail and your message will mixed in with all the other mail and it can take sometimes several minutes to an hour for mail to reach the recipient.

As an alternative to e-mail, RootsChat offers a faster, more private method. The Personal Messages system provides instantaneous delivery to the recipient's RootsChat Inbox. The mail is sent and received entirely through RootsChat, so neither you nor the recipient have to open another program or leave RootsChat. Private Messages also gives both the sender and recipient greater privacy: No one's e-mail address is revealed. Personal Messages show only the username and name of both parties.

If a recipient isn't online, Personal Messages wait in the member's RootsChat inbox until the next time they log in and then reads and/or deletes them. RootsChat Private Messages are a self-contained, highly private e-mail system.

In general, there is no limit to the number of PMs you may send or receive,
 (although we do hope you will empty your Inbox and Outbox ('Sent Items') regularly).

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
Please note: If you are sending PMs to new members who have less than three posts you will receive an error message, that your limit, or allowed number has been reached. (note that it says your limit, although it actually refers to the recipient.)

Attachments are not allowed on PMs

As the name says, Personal Messages are personal and private - do not publish PMs on the public boards !