Author Topic: James Thomson, born 23 May 1896, Renfrew, Scotland  (Read 1931 times)

Offline CarolMorrison

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Thomson, born 23 May 1896, Renfrew, Scotland
« on: Wednesday 08 October 14 10:26 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information on James Thomson, born 23 May 1896 in Renfrew, Scotland, to Mrs Elizabeth Clayton (maiden surname Thomson).   James was not the son of Elizabeth's husband.   In childhood, he was referred to as James Clayton but I suspect that he reverted to Thomson later.
Can anyone help?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: James Thomson, born 23 May 1896, Renfrew, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 19:00 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

Could you tell us what type of info you are looking for?  Are you looking for details of him as an adult?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CarolMorrison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have James' birth record and a poor relief application made on his behalf by his mother.   He was boarded out to the village of Onich, near Fort William, till around 1908.    I wondered if anyone knew anything about his later life.    Did he enlist for WW1?    Did he survive WW1?   Did he marry and have children?   Did he emigrate?

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 22:29 BST (UK) »
If he was born 1896 and registered as a Clayton on official documents two died very young and two died in WWI.

If he used Thomson as his name and kept the surname Clayton somewhat of a secret there are over 200 b in 1896. 

That being said searching Thomson with a mother Thomson yields only one but you would have order the death from Scot's People to confirm it is the person you seek.

1984   THOMSON   JAMES   THOMSON       M   87   HAWICK   /SCOTTISH BORDERS   823/00 0099
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline CarolMorrison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 23:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all that, DonM.    I will be going to ScotlandsPeople Centre in Edinburgh in the next couple of weeks and will do a search of the items you suggest.