Author Topic: charles johnson b. 9 June 1900.  (Read 5387 times)

Offline emmadog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: charles johnson b. 9 June 1900.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 July 08 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks for your help. Have a good holiday and I will keep you up to date as this has been a real puzzler.

My mother seems to have a rare old family as her mothers father was from Norway.  Another puzzling family as it seems as though he ran away to see and there is not much info there either but I seem to have a bit more info about him than my own grandfather.  The problem there is that everything is in norwegian and I can only speak English and Geordie.

DURHAM - Johnson
NORTHUMBERLAND - Hunter,  Pigdon, Hansen, Waddell?, Turnbull
LANCASHIRE - Crabtree
SCOTLAND - Mallachin or Mallichan or Mallaghan
NORWAY - Hansen

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 08 July 08 22:30 BST (UK) »
The problem there is that everything is in norwegian and I can only speak English and Geordie.

;D ;D

Have you tried posting on the Immigrants board for your Norwegian relatives?

Lots of useful websites here: http://www.cyndislist.com/norway.htm and some if not all are in English
this one might help get you started - How to trace your ancestors in Norway: http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/sab/howto.html

Kind regards,
Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline emmadog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 08 July 08 22:43 BST (UK) »
I posted a message on the rootsweb/vestfold message board and had a reply which gave me a site for which had the baptism record for g/gdad but I already had a copy of the cert. It wasn't very easy to read what it said though and I have only got a rough translation but better than nothing.
The reply also had a link to 1865 census for his mother but no mention of him or his father.  The mother, if it is her, is unmarried and a servant.

Thanks again

Barbara (snap!!)
DURHAM - Johnson
LANCASHIRE - Crabtree
NORWAY - Hansen

Offline emmadog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 July 08 23:31 BST (UK) »
I have just sent for the marriage certificate for Charles' half brother to see if this may be any help so I am now waiting with fingers crossed.

The birth certificate that I thought was Charles' stated his father was Thomas occ. bricklayer and the marriage certificate of Charles and Elizabeth (the correct one) says that Charles' father was named Charles (deceased) and was also a bricklayer.  I would have written off the connection except for the BRICKLAYER entry. I  just niggles away this snippet of info.

I have also sent a message to Gateshead Register Office to see if any joy from there.
DURHAM - Johnson
LANCASHIRE - Crabtree
NORWAY - Hansen

Offline emmadog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 July 08 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hi all.
E-mailed Gateshead register office about the entry for Charles there but they say it is not the correct person.  His father is named as Charles but he is not a bricklayer.

I have also e-mailed Tynemouth initially about the entry on  their marriage cert. and they say it is at Morpeth so have e-mailed them and they say I have to purchase a copy of the original certificate so am still no further.
DURHAM - Johnson
LANCASHIRE - Crabtree
NORWAY - Hansen

Offline emmadog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 21 July 08 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
I have now received my copy of Thomas Coynes' marriage cert. but I am now more confused than ever.  I thought the witnesses might shed some light on the situation but not to be. 

On my grandfathers marriage cert. one of the witnesses was a Mary Ellen Johnson and on Thomas' (half/step brother, or maybe neither!!!)  cert. the witnesses are John George Johnson and Mary Jane Johnson so it seems that I may have to wait until next census.

Do you think that the electoral roll would be of any help.  My uncle lives not far from Blyth library  and maybe if I gave him a list he could go to the library. That is if these records are kept at the library???

Thanks
DURHAM - Johnson
LANCASHIRE - Crabtree
NORWAY - Hansen

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 July 08 20:46 BST (UK) »
Blyth Library holds Blyth area electoral registers May 1929 to Oct 1940, and Oct 1945 to current register
Earlier registers are at Northumberland Collection Service, Northumberland Record Office, Morpeth Library
http://www.familia.org.uk/services/england/northumberland.html

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline emmadog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 21 July 08 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hi barbara

Hope you had a nice break.  I have had lots of progress on the Norwegian side of my family through a member of the Vestfold Rootschat board. They sent me a translation of  the baptism cert for me and quite a bit of other info.

These message boards are proving to be very helpful.

I think I will have to try and get my uncle up to Morpeth for the info we want as it is before 1923 when my grandad got married and the other cert says Wanley Street (which I cannot remember if it was there when I lived up there.)

The other street was Clark street which I think was where the shipyard was and I lived near there in Cowpen Quay.

Thanks for the info

The other Barbara.
DURHAM - Johnson
LANCASHIRE - Crabtree
NORWAY - Hansen

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 21 July 08 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara,

Yes thanks, lovely weather in Scotland last week.  Glad to hear you're making progress with the Norwegian side at least  :)

The electoral registers may help, it's certainly a puzzle, wonder if the name Charles or his occupation on the marriage cert is a mistake, it wouldn't be the first.  Maybe he was Thomas Charles  ??? 
E-mailed Gateshead register office about the entry for Charles there but they say it is not the correct person.  His father is named as Charles but he is not a bricklayer.
Wonder what Charles' occupation was on that cert, only way to find out would be to spend another £7 as they wouldn't tell you otherwise...

Barbara  :-\