Author Topic: John and jane Trotter and son Thomas Trotter  (Read 4914 times)

Offline ruthsaff

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John and jane Trotter and son Thomas Trotter
« on: Friday 15 November 13 06:34 GMT (UK) »
hi i'm looking for the parents of my gggg grandfather who emigrated to Australia Thomas trotter. he says he was born near Perth on the Firth of Tay 1794 . We only know his parents were a John Trotter 1769 and jane whitely 1773. and a detail that they were married at Foulden 1793 though i cant verify that event.We dont know where they  or he was /were born or if he had bros or sisters. he had a big interest in gardening and Thomas was sent to England to study , he married in Wales and immigrated to Australia on Duchess of Northumberland in 1836.I have found a reference to a Thomas Trotter of Blackford in the Caley records vOl2 horticultural society of Scotland , Caledonian. Does anyone know which Thomas Trotter this is? Was he a tenant farmer or the son of etc. Would love to hear if anyone knows something of this family.
Regards Ruthsaff ;D

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: John and jane Trotter and son Thomas Trotter
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 November 13 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Possible?
Christenings, Dunino, Fife, Scotland
TROTTER;
MARY, 04 May 1806, Birth 21 April 1806
JOHN, 04 May 1806, Birth 21 April 1806
WILLIAM, 14 July 1810, Birth 26 June 1810
Parents are John TROTTER and Jean WHITLIE
(Source Familysearch.Org)
Jean/Jane are interchangable names

Re Thomas being born Firth of Tay;
The Firth of Tay is a firth in Scotland between the council areas of Fife, Perth and Kinross, the City of Dundee and Angus, into which Scotland's largest river in terms of flow, the River Tay empties.

Marriages;
22 November 1793, Foulden, Berwick, Scotland- John TROTTER and Jean WHITLAY
25 November 1793, Inveresk With Musselburgh, Midlothian,Scotland- John TROTTER and Jean WHITLY

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline ruthsaff

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 November 13 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Possible?
Christenings, Dunino, Fife, Scotland
TROTTER;
MARY, 04 May 1806, Birth 21 April 1806
JOHN, 04 May 1806, Birth 21 April 1806
WILLIAM, 14 July 1810, Birth 26 June 1810
Parents are John TROTTER and Jean WHITLIE
(Source Familysearch.Org)
Jean/Jane are interchangable names

Re Thomas being born Firth of Tay;
The Firth of Tay is a firth in Scotland between the council areas of Fife, Perth and Kinross, the City of Dundee and Angus, into which Scotland's largest river in terms of flow, the River Tay empties.

Marriages;
22 November 1793, Foulden, Berwick, Scotland- John TROTTER and Jean WHITLAY
25 November 1793, Inveresk With Musselburgh, Midlothian,Scotland- John TROTTER and Jean WHITLY

Hi Trish,
thanks for the quick reply.The spelling on her name is good to see i will follow this up.
Is there anything on the Caledonian Horticultural society lead.?
In the marriage record  was it for a particular church or religion?
As im told he (THomas) changed religion or was influenced in Wales to a methodist style faith that was bit different.
 I found once and then lost it a Thomas Trotter listed as a caretaker of C..... House . The house/land  was for sale and he was responsible to show people thru it was in the Edinburgh paper.?? I will try and find it again as you might know if this place still exists or its address.
thanks a million for your help.
kInd regards Ruth

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 November 13 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
The Christenings/Marriages I posted are all that it says on Familysearch, no Church/Religion noted.
You may have to follow them up by some other means.
As I am in Australia I am sorry I cant help more with any other query you have.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)