Author Topic: Help! Re Secession Records  (Read 2229 times)

Offline sue smith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Elizabeth Milward b 1884
    • View Profile
Help! Re Secession Records
« on: Friday 28 February 14 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi, would very much appreciate any help on this one as not my area of expertise.

Am trying to locate information about Andrew Williamson of Abernethy (d1846) and construct his family tree. Andrew was a staunch member of the secession movement in Abernethy and attended the First Abernethy Associate Church, which became the United Presbyterian Church and then the United Free Church South.

Abernethy was riddled with Williamsons at the time I am interested in, so some of the family are on the established church records and some will be on the secession church, making life very confusing.

Does anyone know of how I can easily access the secession church records without having to go down to the National Archives? Or is this my only option  :-\
Archer, Walker, Armstrong, King, Watson, Hoodless, Milward, Gate.

Please note that any information supplied to lookup requests is for the purpose of private study and research only, and may not be used for commercial purposes.  All Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Re Secession Records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 March 14 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately at the moment the only way to access the surviving Secessionist movement records is a personal visit to the Records Office in Edinburgh.

Offline sue smith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Elizabeth Milward b 1884
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Re Secession Records
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 March 14 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Falkryn. Had feared that would be so. One the plus side I get to plan a trip down to Edinburgh some time!
Archer, Walker, Armstrong, King, Watson, Hoodless, Milward, Gate.

Please note that any information supplied to lookup requests is for the purpose of private study and research only, and may not be used for commercial purposes.  All Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk