Author Topic: John Hunter and Helen Paterson  (Read 13148 times)

Offline isanor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Hunter and Helen Paterson
« on: Friday 08 June 12 14:51 BST (UK) »
My 4 x great grandparents were John Hunter and Helen Paterson. They were married in the Parish of Clackmannan in Sept 1796.
Entries in a Pedigree Resource file on Family Search give the parents of John as Henry Hunter and Mary Snodon and for Helen as Robert Paterson and Isabel Imbrie.
A search of Scotlandspeople would indicate that there are others of the same name who could also have been their parents. The place names seem to mtch up.
So can anyone confirm that the parents listed in the IGI source are definitely their parents.
My thanks to anyone who has any information which may be of help.
Isabel
Scottish roots - Chapman, Whyte, Hunter, King or Keen, Jenkins, Mcconkey (and variations), Dickson, Smelle, Sutter
English roots - Golding, Lopez,Harris, Henderson, Scott, Freeman, Stanton

Offline pwl1951

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: John Hunter and Helen Paterson
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 June 12 10:57 BST (UK) »
On a search of Scotlandspeople for the marriage of John Hunter to Helen, there were 2 in the county of Clackmannan during the month of September,1796. Your other website may have listed the parents of both these marriages.
McIntyre/Fraser/McLachlan/Lister/Ferguson/Murray/Muir/Blackwood/Hutchison/Cochrane/Craig/Calderwood/McIntosh/Collie/Dott

Offline isanor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 June 12 14:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this information. I had already noted this. It looks as if I will never know just who the parents were as it seems two couple with the same name existed and were married in the same month - most likely related. Sorry for the delay in replying but I have been on holdiay.
Scottish roots - Chapman, Whyte, Hunter, King or Keen, Jenkins, Mcconkey (and variations), Dickson, Smelle, Sutter

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 June 12 21:38 BST (UK) »
More than likely, the two entries you are seeing will be for readings of the banns and maybe the marriage. Less likely that it was two couples with the same name.

These entries will be from the Old Parish Registers so unlikely to include any details on the bride and grooms parents. Hard to say what info is included though on OPR entries until you check the image.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline UNDERTAKER

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 June 12 07:28 BST (UK) »
do you know if helen had a relative called elizabeth.?would have been elizabeth gillespie nee patterson born in strathblane in about 1826/8.?
p.s. know somehow that the hunter, patterson, and snadan/sneddon families are related somewhere to my family but my family tree dosen't have those family lines on my tree as only did my direct line. would be happy to help if i can.?

T. 

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 00:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Undertaker - Have seen various posts along the way  ;D and it's ringing bells somehow ?? Have Patersons.. Hunters..Sneddons..etc etc all from the Clackmannan area, will send you a pm with e.mail adds so we can do some checking.
Regards Patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline isanor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 16:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all who have made comments so far.
1. Marriage of Helen Paterson and John Hunter. There are two sets of Banns, one in Alloa for Helen, the other in Clackmannan for John, 25 Sep 1796. Date of marriage was 14 Oct 1796.
2. Helen may have had a relative named Elizabeth whose married name was Gillespie but so far I haven't come across this.
3. I am still fairly sure the Snadon/Sneddon family link up with Helen and John as the names keep cropping up in my researches. So any information would be appreciated.
4. Re births of Helen and John.
There are two possible OPR records for Helen. One is for 17Jun 1772, to John Paterson and Margaret Jamieson, Baptised 18 Jun in Cowperhill (Parish of Alloa). She was one of twins, a brother named william.
The second date is 28 Jun 1774, to Robert Paterson and Isoble Imbrie, baptised 1 July in Collieland (Parish of Alloa). The second birth in 1774 sems to be the one favoured by others whose trees are on ancestry.co.uk and also i9n the Pedigree Resource file on Family Search.
Birth of John Hunter. A search on SP throws up 15 possible births between 1768 and 1780, 6 of them in Clackmannan Parish and 5 in Alloa Parish. The one favoured by others seeems to be 14 Nov 1773 to Henry Hunter and Mary Snadon, in Alloa Parish. I am finding it dificult to corroborate this.
I'd appreciate any further information anyone can tell me.

Many thanks

Isabel

Offline UNDERTAKER

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 03:00 BST (UK) »
i am related to elizabeth gillespie nee patterson she was born i believe on 04 june 1826 in strathblane but have come across details showing 1828 and she was married in 1848 to robert gillespie who was born on 4th june 1821 in alloa.father of elizabeth is james patterson born about 1771 in old monkland lanark and was married in 1823 if this helps.
don't have much more information but know when and  where she died if this helps.

T.

Offline isanor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Undertaker

Can you tell me wheren and where your Elizabeth Gillespie died. I may have come up with an answer for you but I ned to know when she died to confirm this.
Thanks
Isabel