Author Topic: Lizzie Maria Smallman nee Jevons  (Read 2092 times)

Offline stebham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lizzie Maria Smallman nee Jevons
« on: Monday 31 March 14 00:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm wondering if anyone can could help me find where Lizzie maria smallman nee jevons is buried..
Birth January 1878 in Aston, Warwickshire, United Kingdom
Death Sep 1956 in Birmingham, Warwickshire, England.
Married to Henry Edward Smallman on the 2nd DEC 1906 at Birmingham, St Matthias, Warwickshire, England...I'm also finding it impossible to find who her mother was. her father was Edwin jevons but all birth, death records are sketchy..census records say just the two of them moved around together with no mother..
any help appreciated....

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lizzie Maria Smallman nee Jevons
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 March 14 02:47 BST (UK) »
hi there welcome to rootschat

I have done a little work on the Jevons/Jeavons family of Aston / Birmingham as they are related to the Shergold family...   as much as I remember there was a mention of this particular problem once before I cannot recall all the details or find my infernal file on the topic......   so here is the marriage reference for the problem.....     

Marriages Jun 1878   Jeavons    Edwin    St.Saviour    1d   121    Elizabeth Kendall

I do recall there was a mishap somehow but cannot remember........

if you make two more replies to posts or even to yourself here you can get personal messaging and there you will find a pm with all the relevent census and cert references as I went thru the databases to find the material seperate to my files.......

Jevon and Jeavons   are pretty much the same family accross the midlands as most of them were of poor education which is not uncommon

more in the pm......

fusion

:)

PS    the actual place of burial is not included in the pm..........     but if you get the death cert more info will reveal itself........    as to the parish she was in and I would start from there to surrounding cemeteries or crematoria

Offline stebham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 March 14 15:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks fusion for the message..it had a few important details I didn't have like the marriage which will help a lot.
Will take you advice and try the local cemeteries...Would be interesting to know if anyone knows what the problem was previously about these records.

thanks

steve

Offline stebham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 20:54 BST (UK) »
Does anyone else have any history with this family as it would be a help?

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 04:30 BST (UK) »
As for other sources regarding this family,      try the London Gazette website ( free downloadable pdfs) index under name variants,        also seek index on British Newspaper Archive, and if u have sub scan findmypast index for the same articles if u dont want a seperate sub......   or buy credits off either.......

the National Archives Index online is worth checking , and so is the Warwickshire County Council/ Archives sites for probates etc land......        then there is historical directories site for addies etc but if you are in UK , go to a larger library and seek London PODs or other alamacs...

then the only other thing I can suggest is write a detailed parable on the family as you have found them , and do a snail mail to Warwickshire Archives.....   for advice of other sources that may be useful if you were to visit.......     best I can offer.......................   ps after thought      the local libraries would also have some better understanding or materials of the locale    so whynot contact one that is in the vicinity via the resources officer in snail mail................................ ???

Offline stebham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 July 14 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Fastfusion, i did a bit of looking up into the record you supplied
Marriages Jun 1878   Jeavons    Edwin    St.Saviour    1d   121    Elizabeth Kendal
The only one i could find to match was in London which is a long way from where the family were from.
I also know that on the records that Edwin was never recorded living with his wife and on one census was recorded as a widower. I also looked up a death for Elizabeth jeavons and found a record for a girl who was only 16 when she died n the first quarter of 1879 and living in the surronding area where edwin was from. Would it be likely that edwin went to London to marry an underage girl who would of given birth to her daughter when she was only 15.?????

Thanks  Steve

Offline stebham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 July 14 01:08 BST (UK) »
may have to scrub that..found another record for that marriage in St. George the Martyr Southwark which is within St Saviours parish which records they were from that parish..confused now.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 July 14 11:08 BST (UK) »
Looks like you're still struggling with this.
You may already have some of this info so apologies for that.
This might be Lizzie's birth reg:
Maria Elizabeth Jevons
March Quarter.
Aston
Volume:
6d
Page:
The birth cert. will give mother's maiden name.

Baptism of above: 10/3/1878 St.Peter's & St.Paul's Aston
Mariah Elizabeth Jevons b. 7/2/1878
Parents: Edwin & Mariah.
Occ: Smith
Add: Thomas St.

Death:
Mar 1878 
JEVONS  Maria  26 
Aston  6d 269
Burial of above:14/2/1878
St.Peter's & St.Paul's Aston
Maria Jevons aged 26
Add: Catherine St.

There's this marriage: Dec. 1877
Jevons  Edward     W. Bromwich  6b 1089
on the same page is Maria Evans.

According to the Electoral Rolls the Smallman family lived at 14 Yew Tree Rd. Aston Lizzie doesn't appear on any of them but the children do as they reach 21.
A bit of a mystery as to why Lizzie doesn't appear unless they'd parted company by 1920.
Listed up to 1935 as Henry dies in 1938.
If she was still in the area she'd be buried at Witton Cemetery unless she specified she wanted to be buried elsewhere.
It looks like most of the children moved to Perry Barr. Evelyn is there with some of her siblings & Henry Jnr. is also living there.
So she could be buried in Perry Barr Cemetery.
It looks like the death cert. is the way to go but it won't tell you where she's buried only where she was living at the time.

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline stebham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 August 14 23:32 BST (UK) »
hi Jim

only just seen this.
thanks for your help.. ive already come to the same conclusions as yourself and reckon mariah must have died in childbirth or soon after.
I saw the marriage record for Maria Evans which adds up with the dates and names but i cant understand why in west bromwich when the rest of the family were marrying in aston area.
Turning into a real head ache

Steve