Author Topic: Archibald CAMPBELL - Dumfriesshire  (Read 7077 times)

Offline MasonT78

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Archibald CAMPBELL - Dumfriesshire
« on: Friday 11 October 13 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for details of the birth my 4x Great Grandfather Archibald Campbell and his Ancestors in Scotland.

He was in the 96th Regiment of Foot from 1824 to 1844 (Number 49). He enlisted as a Private, was promoted to Corporal & then a Paymaster Sergeant. According to his "Chelsea Pensioners' Service Record" he was born about 1802 in the Parish of Hodam in or near the town of Ecclefechan in the County of Dumfries. He Served in Bermuda, Nova Scotia and Finally in Australia, where he settled.

He married Catherine Ann Fultz in 1830 in Nova Scotia and had 7 children, William Charles, Mary Ann, Ann McGregor, Jane McGregor, Elinor (Ellen) Charlotte, William McGregor and finally Emily Irving McGregor (My 3x Great Grandmother) Jane, Elinor, William & Emily where all born in Tasmania, Australia.

After Archibald retired from the Army he was School Master at Port Cygnet (Now Cygnet) in Tasmania, Australia where he died in 1878, his obituary says he was born in "The year 1800". It also appears if he may have attended Edinburgh University prior to enlistment.

The names McGregor and Irving feature strongly in the middle names of his Children and several of his Grandchildren.

I havent been able to locate a birth for Archibald or any connection to the McGregor or Irving Families, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Are there any records for the Edinburgh University or Enlistment Records? Also how likely is it that any of Archibald's family (Brothers/Father) could have also been in the Army? Was this something that continued through the family?

I have a copy of his Pension Records.

Thanks

MASON
WYLIE
HAYES
DANDO
BINNS
SEARLE

Offline hawahc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald CAMPBELL - Dumfriesshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mason,
Archibald Campbell is my great grandfather coming through William McGregor b 1849, Douglas McGregor b1885, Colin James 1920 (my dad) then me Helen Campbell b 1953.

I too have been unable to verify Archibald's birth or birthplace. May I ask where you obtained the information you do have posted?

thanks,
Helen you can contact me directly if you wish (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline dylansmother

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 09:49 BST (UK) »
This may help your search, go to the Tasmanian State Archives page and click on series search type in this Series Number: MM67 Good Luck.

Also do an agency search and type in agency Number: NG1486. The following is listed
Archibald Campbell, teacher and educator was born in 1800 in Ecclejechan, Co. Dumfries, Scotland. He attended Edinburgh University before joining the 96th Regiment from which he retired in Nov 1846. In Tasmania he served in the Convict Department before entering the Tasmanian Education Department in the 1850's where he taught for the rest of his life establishing a strong reputation as a teacher who was loved and respected by his pupils and admired by his colleagues.He taught at schools on the East Coast, Tasman's Peninsula and the Channel district.He died at Port Cygnet on the 6 Jun 1878 leaving behind an invalid widow, five daughters, one son and three grandsons.

Offline hawahc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 May 14 07:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestions Dylansmother.
That information I had, but I am trying to verify where his birth date, place of birth, university attendance came from. It seems to me that these few pieces of info are passed around but never any mention where they came from.
Nor can I find any mention of his parents or siblings names. Quite unusual since he held such standing in the community.

Thanks again,
Helen

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 May 14 08:02 BST (UK) »
Hi folks
Sorry I have no info concerning Archibald Campbell and his university records or parentage etc.
But on browsing Freecen I found on the 1841 Census  a Walter Campbell aged 52 (birth year circa 1789?), a  teacher in Dumfries.
This man is also on the 1851 (I found him on http://www.maxwellancestry.com/census/51transcript.aspx?houseid=82110158 ) where his place of birth is given as Caerlaverock, Dumfries.
He interested me because I wondered what the chances were of 2 Campbells of approx. same age from rural Dumfriesshire  in 1820s-40s  would become teachers. Could there be a connection between the two men? Maybe a red herring but thought I would draw him to your attention :-\

Looby :)

Offline hawahc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 May 14 08:10 BST (UK) »
Yes, interesting as you say. I wonder if you can see who his parents were. He can't be Archibald's father as he is too young but ????

My aunt always thought Archibald's father's name possibly was William but I have not found any proof of that or why she would think that.

Thanks,
helen

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 May 14 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hopefully Walter died after 1855 , in which case his death cert might have his parents names.
There is also a Walter Campbell born in Hoddam Dumfries - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYMS-S6T

Age is out by roughly 3/4 years :-\. Don't know if that is the same man as the Teacher on the 1841 and 1851. But maybe worth investigating.
Need to get ready for work now  :'(
Good luck with the hunt,
Looby :)

Offline hawahc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 May 14 08:27 BST (UK) »
thanks, will check this out........am about to get dinner ready here in sydney!
Have a great day,
H

Offline Tangojo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 August 19 08:48 BST (UK) »
I know this is an old post, but hopefully not too old that it's forgotten.

I have recently started researching my partners ancestors and Archibald Campbell is his 3x Great Grandfather. Archibald Campbell (1800-1878), William M Campbell (1849-1908), Donald Harris Campbell (1890-1962), Ronald Granville Campbell (1917-1987), John Campbell (1942-2015) and finally my partner, Brent Campbell (1978 -)

Unfortunately I have no extra information to offer and only came upon this post when doing research.

It's all very interesting indeed.

Kind regards
Jo