Author Topic: OWEN, Florence (Nee KELLY)  (Read 3207 times)

Offline denniskelly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Florence Kelly and Alfred Kelly
    • View Profile
OWEN, Florence (Nee KELLY)
« on: Sunday 06 July 14 16:00 BST (UK) »
Looking for a lost Kelly family member.  Florence KELLY (B: 28 Sep 1904) married William George OWEN (B: 26 Mar 1905) on 18 Dec 1926 at Birkenhead.  Last contact with Florence was in the 1930s.  Two sons, both born Birkenhead, Ronald George OWEN (B: 1928) and Kenneth Cedric OWEN (B: 1931).   Other family siblings of Florence, all born Liverpool are deceased - Alfred James KELLY (1905 - 1970), Norman KELLY (B: 1907 - 1967) and William KELLY ( 1909 - 1980).  William KELLY, my father, came to Canada in 1925 via the Liverpool Sheltering Home (i.e.: Barnardo's).  Believe (not confirmed) that Florence may have died Nottingham district (Sep - 3c 300) in 1960  at age 55 and William George OWEN (Sep - 3c 251) may have died in 1967 at age 62.  Possible son Kenneth C. OWEN may have died in 1949 (Jun - 3c 231) at age 18.  Any help connecting or information on these three deaths greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
Cheshire/Lancashire - Liverpool Area.  Kelly, Morris, Owen, Downey, Evans.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: OWEN, Florence (Nee KELLY)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 July 14 16:11 BST (UK) »
If you believe that Florence died in the Nottingham area around that time, then the death record you have quoted (Nottingham Q3 1960, vol 3c page 300) is the only one fitting the birth year that you have given. The best way to find out whether this is the correct record would be to order the death certificate from www.gro.gov.uk.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 July 14 16:22 BST (UK) »
Do you know when the family moved from Birkenhead to Nottingham? There are also some Owen children born in Nottingham with mother a Kelly. May be nothing to do with yours or may be more of Florenceīs children.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline denniskelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 July 14 16:34 BST (UK) »
I have no knowledge of when or if Florence left Birkenhead area.  I had previously searched the area Birkenhead with possible records of sons but that proved wrong (i.e: Marriage Cert.) after purchasing a certificate.  I shall look at the children born Nottingham area. 

I agree that buying a certificate is the way to go.  I was hopping to find a positive link to the Nottingham area before making a purchase of a certificate.

Thank you for input and help.  Greatly appreciated.   

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 July 14 16:36 BST (UK) »
Do you have the marriage certificate and if so, what does it say?

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 July 14 16:38 BST (UK) »
If you look at freebmd.org.uk you will see that there is a death in Basford which might fit your Ronald G Owen. I that is him then it supports your theory that they moved to Nottinghamshire.

Offline denniskelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 July 14 17:11 BST (UK) »
I have the marriage certificate for the marriage of Florence KELLY to William George OWEN in Dec 1926 at Birkenhead.  I have birth certificates for two son Ronald George OWEN (B: 1928) and  Kenneth Cedric OWEN (B: 1931) both born Birkenhead.  I recently bought a marriage certificate for Ronald G. OWEN who married at Birkenhead but he was actually Ronald Geoffrey OWEN the son of John William OWEN - wrong one.  My reason for looking at Nottingham was noting in FREEBMD a death for Florence OWEN (Sep 1960 - 3c 300), death of William G. OWEN (Sep 1967 - 3c 251) and a death of Kenneth C. OWEN (Jun 1949 - 3c 231).  Age on all three death seem to fit and as I have no other info on Florence or her family, I was trying to find a possible connection to some other area and Nottingham would seem to be a possible place to start.  Thanks.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 July 14 17:31 BST (UK) »
OK. Now I understand your problem. Both Kenneth C Owen and Ronald G Owen are more common than one might expect. Your approach of finding possible deaths that match makes sense. I cannot see anything so far that would disprove your theory on those three deaths.

Marriages for the boys can be a bit more difficult to identify. Starting with Birkenhead was worth a try, but if Ronaldīs wife was not local then the marriage is more likely to be in her home district.

If you want to try and go further without the risk of investing in more certificates that donīt pan out then I would suggest that you work systematically with the boys although this could be time consuming. Run a freebmd search on "all types" for each of them then work through and eliminate the marriages and deaths that cannot be yours. That should significantly reduce the number of options. Then look for potential children of the remaining marriages (hopefully in Nottinghamshire). Once you have them then you can use www.192.com to see if you can find the living descendants and make contact to try to confirm your theories. Same approach can be applied to the Owen/Kelly children born in Nottinghamshire in the 1930s if you think the family may have moved shortly after Ronald and Kenneth were born.

Personally I would recommend that you order the death cert for Florence to check out your Nottingham theory.