Author Topic: Riach & Younie families, Moray and beyond  (Read 42712 times)

Offline alastairgm

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Riach & Younie families, Moray and beyond
« Reply #18 on: Monday 31 July 06 18:35 BST (UK) »
Just found this site. This is my first posting so please be tolerant!

My g.g. aunt Margaret McDonald (born Rafford 1817) married George Younie (born Rafford 1815) in Rafford on 5th November 1852. He was the eldest of the 8 sons of John Younie and Ann Collie. The next son John (born 1818) was presumably the one who married Ellen Mavor and went to Canada.

In the 1851 Census George is shown as working on his father's farm in Rafford but sometime before the 1861 one, probably on his marriage I suppose, he moved to Knockando and farmed Tomlea there for the rest of his working life. Margaret died at Tomlea on 03.03 1891 and George, by then described as "retired farmer", died at Aberlour, Banffshire on 05.02 1898. The Informant on his Death Certificate was his brother William Younie of Bishopscroft farm, Kockando. They are both buried together in Knockando graveyard, according to the LIBINDX Cemetary Search. Their LIBINDX ref. nos are NM203767 and NM203944 if you want to find out more.

I checked all the Censuses from 1861 thru' 1881 and no children are shown on any of them, so I don't expect to hear from descendants!

While I was in Rafford in July last year I visited the Rafford Old  Churchyard. It really is a beautiful little cemetary and very well cared for. Although I was mainly looking for my McDonald ancestors who are in there I also took two photographs (from different angles for legibility) of the Headstone on the grave of John Younie and Ann Collie. In it are also two of their sons Thomas and Lewis and also (clearly a much later inscription) the ashes of a Margaret Elizabeth Bruce Henderson nee Younie who died 01.09 1956 in her 89th. year.

As it is a digital photo I have it on file and if anyone would like copies I would be happy to send them. Bits of the churchyard appear as background, but not much. Let me know your e-mail address and I'll send them as attachments.

alastairgm
Moray - (In Rafford) MacDonald, Laing, Younie.
Orkney - (In Evie.) Robertson, Sinclair, Laird.
Herefordshire - Fox, Graty.
Gloucestershire - Price, Spackman, Bourne, Tugman,   Burroughs, Brassington.
Cheshire - Fox, Orrett.

Offline Younie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 17:57 BST (UK) »
Would very much like a picture of the Rafford cemetery.  Thank you for the offer.
Pat Younie
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Younie, Howarth,

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 21 August 06 18:25 BST (UK) »
;D ;D ;D

Alastair -

Sent a message to your other e mail but in case you didn't receive ...

Just wanted to say "THANKS" for the pictures of the Old Rafford Cemetery. Great pictures. Looks like a quiet peaceful area. I hope to get over that way next October.

yn9man

:)

Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline alastairgm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 19:05 BST (UK) »
In Reply No. 18 above I wrote:-
"The next son John, (born 1818), was presumably the one who married Ellen Mavor and went to Canada."

Subsequent investigation has shown this was incorrect. My confusion was caused by there being a John Younie, son of John Younie and Anne Collie, unmarried, age 33, at Rafford Farm in the 1851 Census and then a John Younie, age 42, married, with a wife, Margaret, and a 17 year old daughter, Mary Younie, there in 1861. My initial assumption was that  these must be two different John Younie's, the first one being the one who married Ellen Mavor.

However when I looked at the 1863 Marriage Certificate of Mary Younie it stated that although John Younie was her father her Mother was an Isabella Nicholson of Dyke, (deceased). Actually Mary Younie had been at Rafford Farm in 1851 also, but described as a Granddaughter of John Younie snr. with no indication that she was John Younie jnr's illegitimate daughter.

Four years before his daughter's marriage John Younie, Batchelor, age 39,(actually he was almost 41) had married a Margaret Anderson in Forres and on his Marriage Certificate he is shown as the son of John Younie and Anne Collie. John and Margaret had only the one child, a daughter named Margaret Elizabeth born in 1868. They continued to farm Rafford Farm until the 1880's.

This John Younie died at his daughter Margaret Elizabeth Henderson's house in Edinburgh on 23rd. Jan 1906 and on his Death Certificate it again confirms that he is the son of John Younie and Anne Collie.

This, I think, proves he is not the John Younie who married Ellen Mavor and went to Canada.
Cheshire - Fox, Orrett.

Offline jeffH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 01 February 07 02:53 GMT (UK) »
It would appear that John Younie, the one who married Ellen Mavor and left for Canada, was really the son of George Younie and Ann Brander. He was born at Hillockhead (farm - just south of Rothes) 11 November 1819. I have come across a few references to this family on the internet with George Younie (John's father) born 12 Jan 1771 at Tomlea, Wester Elchies to James Younie and Anne Clarke.

George died 8 April 1840 and is buried at the Boharm Churchyard in Moray. His gravestone inscription says he was in his 70th year and resided at Hillockhead. The parish records show he was also living at Hillockhead in 1818 when he and Ann Brander were married.

I have been unable to find anything that actually proves George Younie of Hillockhead was born in Tomlea to James and Anne Younie in 1771. Does anyone with Younie connections have anything on this George Younie that would lead me to his parents?

Jeff
Pembrokeshire - Harries and Blethyn<br />Somerset - Wilkins, Parsons and Ball<br/>Essex/Suffolk - Edwards and Smith<br />Morayshire - Younie and Mavor

Offline Younie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 11 February 07 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Can help you with George.  James Younie and Anne Clarke were from Overton Farm which is part of East Elchies or to the point where McCallum Scotch is now located.  James is the brother to my husband's 5 gggrandfather John Younie who married Janet Chalmers.  Their father was George Inie of Rothes(Dundurcas parish).  George was an elder in the church.
Children of James and Anne Younie
Elizabeth B. 1768, Wester Elchies(Tomlea)
George B. 1771 ( Tomlea), D. 1840 m. Anne Brander
Margaret B. 1773, Tomlea m. James Farquharson
Helen B. 1776 Tomlea m John Douglas
Grizel B. 1780
Hope this is helpful.  I have most of the early history for this family.
Pat Younie
Younie, Howarth,

Offline DUNMAC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julia,
             Have a Margaret Brown 1771 - 1862, partner to James Younie, Rothes, her parents are Robert & Jane Brown, from D.C. Her childrens OPR Births state both as parents but no marriage record can be found ( Knockando fire?)
Children are:
John Younie 1801 - 1860.
James Younie 1803.
Jane Younie 1805.
Alexander Younie 1808 - 1855.
Thomas Younie 1812 - 1897.

Alexander's line leads to a John Mavor Younie 1901 who has relatives in Canada, family from Rafford, Redhill, John's parents Alexander Younie 1853 &  Margaret Davidson 1868 who married in Kingussie & Insh, 1893.
I think my wife's line & yours must connect somehow. Other places noted on family documents are Knockando, Rothes, Edinkillie, Dallas and Burgie Hill farm and Califer farm feature in quite a few as well as Redhill.

Regards,
                                                                     Duncan.
McDonald: Patterson: Hart: Josey: Provan: Meldrum: Murphy: McIntyre: McEachern:McColl: Cupples: Burt: McCormack: Steele: Laird: Hardie: Robertson: Easton: Sneddon: Skinner: Stark: Shaw: Sanders: Chapman, Gordon, Grant, Littlejohn,  McLeod, McHattie: Younie: Ironside: Spalding, Smith: Mathieson: Ower:
Koens.

Morvern, Argyll: Glasgow, Lanarkshire: Falkirk, & Grangemouth, Kippen, Kilsyth: Stirlingshire: Dumfries & Borders, Scotland & England:
Aberdeenshire: Morayshire: Ireland: Netherlands.

Offline alastairgm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 29 November 07 07:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Duncan,
Interested in your references to Younies in Rafford (Hill of Burgie and Califer farms) and Knockando.
See my Replies #18 and #21 above. Any connections?
Alastair
Cheshire - Fox, Orrett.

Offline DUNMAC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 29 November 07 07:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
 It's possible there may be, have not traced all connections, can send Gedcom with what I've found. Part of tree comes from Richard Younie who is connected to our tree and descendant from Redhill, Rafford. So if you supply email, I'll forward Gedcom.
                            Regards,
                                   Duncan MacDonald.
McDonald: Patterson: Hart: Josey: Provan: Meldrum: Murphy: McIntyre: McEachern:McColl: Cupples: Burt: McCormack: Steele: Laird: Hardie: Robertson: Easton: Sneddon: Skinner: Stark: Shaw: Sanders: Chapman, Gordon, Grant, Littlejohn,  McLeod, McHattie: Younie: Ironside: Spalding, Smith: Mathieson: Ower:
Koens.

Morvern, Argyll: Glasgow, Lanarkshire: Falkirk, & Grangemouth, Kippen, Kilsyth: Stirlingshire: Dumfries & Borders, Scotland & England:
Aberdeenshire: Morayshire: Ireland: Netherlands.