Author Topic: My (and Lenagh's) mystery Robert Hogg  (Read 5832 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: My (and Lenagh's) mystery Robert Hogg
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 July 14 17:49 BST (UK) »
I sympathise, Forfarian. The Finlayson records alone for Larbert are poor...never mind possible Hogg issues. Were there gaps in records for the OPRs, or were the family a different religeous denomination? Or did this family group simply not register events  :-\ Hard to say for sure.

As you say, for the Finlaysons, what is around early 1800s to 1841 certainly feels like Janet's family, but hard to connect formally the dots so far.

Monica

PS: That looks promising re possibly Robert Hogg, GR2  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 July 14 18:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks, GR2, that's interesting.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Lenagh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 07:33 BST (UK) »
This is listing of some of the Tax databases on ScotlandsPlaces:

http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/historical-tax-rolls

Thanks Monica, I was looking at those yesterday to see what was there.  Will get a sub today, so will get digging soon.

Offline Lenagh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 31 July 14 14:21 BST (UK) »
It looks like I’m going to have a long wait before I get to see if there are any more clues for Robert Hogg since ScotlandsPlaces doesn’t appear to be too keen on getting new subscriptions.  I’m still waiting to receive the email they supposedly sent in order to finish the process for membership.  I did however receive an email stating my request is being processed and will email details soon.

Perhaps staff are on holiday or watching the Commonwealth Games!

Offline Lenagh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 01:53 BST (UK) »
Finally was able to get access to the Historical Records on ScotlandsPlaces.  No easy way to search, so a long and tedious process having to look through each page...however, I did find Robert in 1785 on the Cart Tax rolls.

He farmed at Carbrock or Carbrook farm but haven't been able to come up with anything else to connect him to this location.

What is known:
Robert Hogg, married, from Dunipace, is a farmer & horse dealer
1785 Cart duty - Carbrock, Dunipace [might be Carbrook*] 2 carts with 2 wheels, 2/- duty, half years Duty - 2 shillings
1791 received £1 16s 6d  for growing flax.  (Thanks to GR2)
1793 Young Peter Hogg born in Larbert to Janet Finlayson, daughter of James Finlayson, quarrier.
1797, August 12th, 3 horses - paid 4/- tax duty on 2 horses (the other one for personal use)

*If it is Carbrook Farm then James Dickson, an Oil Merchant + Farm Manager worked at the farm for 30 years from around 1860 onwards - he appears on the 1861 census.  (There is a photo of the farmhouse here http://www.geocities.ws/scotlandsmahame/dickson3rdgeneration.html)

Prior to that in 1851, a James McSuckie (probably McLuckie?) lived and worked at Carbrook - the address on Ancestry only says Carbrook but possibly same farm.  Not seeing anything for 1841 census for McSuckie or McLuckie or Carbrook/Carbrock.

1841:  Not finding Carbrook, Robert Hog, or McLuckie

1851:  Carbrook, Dunipace, Stirlingshire
James Mc Suckie [McLuckie] 67, head,  (Landed Proprietor Farms 72 Acres)
Robert Mc Suckie 22, son, Writer Work Signet ?
Jean Fisher 30, servant,

1861:  Carbrook Lodge, Dunipace, Stirlingshire
James Dickson 35, head, Carter Domestic Servt
Janet Dickson 27, wife, Lodger Keeper
Eliza Dickson 6, scholar
David Dickson 5, scholar
Margaret Dickson 3
Jane B A Dickson 8 Mo [first to be born in Dunipace]

See this map for Carbrook House, with the lodge a little further down - might have been the farmhouse.  http://maps.nls.uk/view/74430873

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 11:43 BST (UK) »
I've got a wee bit of history for Carbrook which I'll send to Forfarian & Lenagh direct.

Here's a wee sketch of Carbook House.

Anne  :)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

For some light relief I had a look at the family history site below for the shepherd poet then was rather surprised to find alive in 1841 a Robert Hogg age 90 living at Catslacknow in Yarrow parish. If he really was born 1751 he's not to be found in the family history below. Mind this was on Freecen and given the age of the other members of the household it could very well be a mistranscription of his age. Probably another family entirely but just in case he fits in somewhere.

http://www.monicahogg.com/jameshogg/

Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline Lenagh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,

I enjoyed our wee chat and thanks for the email and attachments on Carbrook House.  As I mentioned, I'm inclined to think Robert Hogg would have been a tenant farmer possibly where the lodge is rather than the owner, but who knows?  More research needed.

Jen:  Thanks for looking.  I looked through that family history site many years ago and couldn't find a connection - perhaps it's time to have another look.  I'm not sure about a connection with the 90 year old Robert Hogg in Yarrow, but interesting.  Just have to continue researching.