Author Topic: Harvieston  (Read 37497 times)

Offline Dormitorium

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harvieston
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 18 May 13 19:07 BST (UK) »
The TC may refer to Thomas Cranstoun who died in 1848?

Offline monkswell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 13 March 14 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Just discovered this thread when trying to find a copy of the autobiography of my old landlord Tom Mitchell. I lived at Harvieston from 1979 to 1984, not in the main house but in the little lean to down by the walled garden, which was known as The Pottery. It was a pretty but ramshackle house that leaked like crazy and was freezing in the winter, though it had a woodburning stove that sweetened things a bit. One night during the winter of 1982-83 I recorded an outside night temperature of -20C. We had to make sure we kept the garden gate shut, otherwise Tom's cattle were liable to come in and browse in our herb garden. The last time I looked by, a few years ago now, the Pottery had undergone an expensive renovation, no doubt has central heating these days! My then partner and I were friendly with Pete Quigley at the neighbouring farm, and bought our milk from him straight from the cow. Tom himself enjoyed cultivating an air of mystery. He liked to see himself as the pater familias of a vaguely alternative community, and there was certainly an ever-changing cast of fascinating characters living at Harvieston. He was capable of getting quite shirty when from time to time any of them didn't see eye to eye with him. As well as the tree house, Tom built a sauna in the grounds, which I quite often made use of. He had an endearing habit of planting trees in his arboretum and adorning them with plaques dedicated to his various tenants. Ours was a weeping ash, no idea if it's still there. It would be some size 35 years later if it is. I'm no longer with my partner of that time, but I did meet my present partner and mother of our now grown up children there, so it remains a pretty special place. Much credit to Tom for having the imagination to set it up.

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 13 March 14 13:59 GMT (UK) »
What a shame Alasdair Anderson has passed on; I'm sure if he was around today he would have fought the idea tooth and nail.  In his day he was the driving force behind the Gorebridge Historical Society and won the battle of saving the original Gorebridge Library going the same way.  With so much history around the area in Borthwick and Temple, Harvieston House deserves to be saved.  Shame on the local council and planning department for yet again thinking with the sledge-hammer and not their brains.
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Thomas Hartley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 15 March 15 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Many of you may already be aware, but if not, please note that Taylor Wimpey's planning application to build 245 homes in the grounds of the house is currently in motion - see here.   More user friendly info here on the Taylor Wimpey website

It's not too late to stop this. Please feel free to contact Midlothian Council and let them know your views!

Offline Kookabura1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 02:09 BST (UK) »
For what its worth my great grandparents lived at Harvieston in the 1920s .We have a photo somewhere if the entire family grouped in front of the house. My mother is probably about two when the photo was taken so it must date to about 1926. Hopefully I can find it when I return to Britain in october. I don't know if the house was owned or leased by them at that time and when they moved in or out. They lost most of their money in 1913 so Harvieston was where they retreated to. Poverty is a relative term!

Offline Kookabura1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 02:12 BST (UK) »
Regarding my previous posting I should add names. My great grandfather was James Harper Paterson, wife Katherine, formerly of Dalnaglar Castle, Perthshire, and Moray Place, Edinburgh.

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 22 January 18 05:15 GMT (UK) »
It would appear the old house has found a new lease of life
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 04 June 20 13:45 BST (UK) »
1841 at Harvieston

There is a reference to a Lt Col Hugh Morrison at Harvieson on the 1841 census for Borthwick parish; any information on this gentleman would be appreciated.

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 26 June 20 15:08 BST (UK) »
I have just found a death in 1819 for Alexander Smith shepherd Harvieston Northgate - I wonder if anyone have tell me if Harvieton Northgate was associated with th eHarvieston estate?

Thanks