Author Topic: William Moss, Loughborough  (Read 23287 times)

Offline spannerpam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Moss, Loughborough
« on: Thursday 20 August 09 16:56 BST (UK) »
Anyone out there know anything about building company William Moss of Loughborough. I understand they were responsible for either the building of or some sort of renovation to the Lloyds Bank, High St. Leicester. I have also been told that my great uncle, Reuben Springthorpe, worked for them and made the large folding double doors at the entrance to the bank. This could have been at any time between early 1900's and maybe as late as 1930's. any information would be appreciated.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Moss, Loughborough
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 August 09 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome

I cant answer your exact enquiry, but out of interest looked for Reuben Springthorpe on 1901 census.
Only one I could find was a 57 yr old, living in Leicester with his dtr (Rachel Astell) and son in law and their children, and he was a shoemaker! So (if this is him) unlikely to have made bank doors ... or to be making anything much by 1930.

RG13 2989 145 12
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline spannerpam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 August 09 19:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks lizdb for your interest and for the welcome, always a bit scary making the first move.

The Reuben you have found on the 1901 cencus is in fact Reuben jnr's father.
Reuben jnr can be found on the 1881 cencus aged two living with father Reuben Springthorpe, mother Eliza, brother Joseph who was my g'father and half brothers and sisters Rachel, Henry, Ada and Ellen.

After this the family gets very complicated and Reuben can eventually be found on the 1901 cencus living in Wales under the name of Kibby, working as a carpenter, as a boarder. His mother Eliza is living with her new partner, Edward Plunkett, and two sons Joseph and Edward in Leicester under her maiden name of Kibby also.

After years of being puzzled by my dad's comment about a name change to Kibby (that's all he would say!) the breakthrough came through GR earlier in the year through contact with, amongst others, Revmother2.

It's taken quite a few heads in all parts of the country and in the USA to sort all that out but Reuben Jnr's g'daughters who are fairly far flung would really love to find out more about the bank doors and some possible confirmation that he did in fact make them.

Any comments would be most appreciated, thanks Spannerpam.

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 August 09 19:59 BST (UK) »
william Moss is a very well known name in Loughborough where i live. I know the library has lots of info. I will be in this week and will check out reuben for you.

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline spannerpam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 09:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot Diddy, it's hard to know where to start with this one as it's so vague.
Look forward to hearing from you,

Pam

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 16:24 BST (UK) »
the library only holds general info about the company. i was lucky to speak to our local expert on Moss who just happened to be there at the time!!  attaching 1 - the other is too large. will try to reduce.

think it worthwhile to look in Leics record office (Mike?) and Leicester reference library (I have online access so will check out)

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 16:28 BST (UK) »
and in 2 bits:

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 16:30 BST (UK) »
sorry about quality - old book!! 2nd part:

also family: Mr A Moss - Hosiery & glove fabric manufacturer
Mr Edwin Moss - grocer, italian & provision stores

both in loughborough

i personally knew one of the Mrs Moss from my church.

Diddy

Offline spannerpam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 16:53 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Diddy
At least this gives me lots of background information on the company which I knew nothing about.
As for my gt.uncle Reuben working for them and making the bank doors it's difficult to know who might be able to help.
Anyway, thanks again for your trouble.
Pam