Author Topic: Ursfins/Husphins/Codsall  (Read 4643 times)

Offline glen11

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ursfins/Husphins/Codsall
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 August 14 10:38 BST (UK) »
Contact William Salt library Stafford,i bet they would be able to look it up for you.At least you are getting somewhere.
Edwards.Godwin.Gilding

Offline glen11

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hello,i have searched St.Nicholas parish registers for you,there was not one of your names.What you need is ST.Peters for Codsall Wood,and they werent at the archives.Glen
Edwards.Godwin.Gilding

Offline Lynne Lemord

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 September 14 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Nigel, I believe our paths might have crossed before, as I am also researching the Tottys. James is also my 5th grandfather. I didn't know he was buried in Codsall. This is very exciting. Can you give me the information on the headstone please. Thankyou , Lynne. PS I asked at Wolverhampton Library some years ago about the name of the farm. It's spelt Husphins, but the locals pronounced it Ursfins. Imagine a farmer Giles accent rather than a Black Country one.

Offline Speedway ace

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 September 14 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hi cousin  ;D

we may have crossed paths before but not sure where?.  My tree is on "Ancestry".

I found the grave  by using the (unreliable) "family Search" (IGI) web site, find James T and it gives a link to a site called a "Billion/Million? graves .com and you can view a photo of the headstone for free.

I did visit Codsall to photo the headstone, it is in very good condition and is close to the perimeter wall of the churchyard. it also records the burial of his wife Sarah Sutton. A few yards/meters to the right of the headstone  are three graves of the Jenks family from Sarah Suttons maternal line.

The Codsall registers can be found online free! but the burials after 1812 are not transcribed, it will require a visit to Stafford record office to view them. the burial records after 1812 usually contain more info, hopefully this may prove useful.

Headstone;  gives date of death  Feb 4th 1819 aged 74 years

for wife  Sarah, 7th March 1822 aged 69 years

Regards Nigel
Plankney, Copcott, Hampton, Crant, Johnson Baynham, Lyghtfote, Southwick, Legate and others in England & Calais (France)

Offline Lynne Lemord

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 September 14 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hi cousin. Thanks for the information that will be most helpful. I also put my tree on Ancestry, but I haven't renewed this year. It was the wine or the subscription, and something had to give.  ;D. Here's my line. My grandfather was James b.1896 by James 1866 by James 1843 by Samuel 1806, by Thomas 1776, by James 1746. I have never found the birth for Samuel who states he was born at Ursfins, but I'm pretty certain he was James' son. He, his two brothers and their mother moved to Walsall and were miners, They seem to have struggled, as at some point a removal order was sought to remove Mary and I think, two of her sons back to Tettenhall. It wasn't granted. I live very near to the Kings Arms, kept by William Totty a distant cousin. Unfortunately it has fallen into disrepair. Thanks again for the info. Regards Lynne.

Offline Speedway ace

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 29 September 14 21:00 BST (UK) »
I researched a "Thomas" Totty who ran the kings arms Walsall/Bloxwich and was also a cooper by trade he was born in Albrighton 1769. Died in Bloxwich 1850 aged 81.

I have found no trace of Thomas Totty b.1776 son of James .1746 Ursfins Codsall.

In what record does Samuel say he was born at the Ursfins?
Plankney, Copcott, Hampton, Crant, Johnson Baynham, Lyghtfote, Southwick, Legate and others in England & Calais (France)

Offline Lynne Lemord

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Nigel, I have the following from Wolverhampton Library. It was 20 years ago, but I assume it was from the Parish Registers.

James and Sarah (Sutton) had Ann 1773, Thomas 1776, Agnes 1779, and John 1782. All born at Ursfins.

Thomas married Mary Culwick at Tettenhall in 1803.

Samuel was born abt1806 in Tettenhall according to the 1861 census, but I can't find his birth.

Thomas 1769, married Mary Wolley and was running the Kings Arms in 1825. He later married Elizabeth Davenport and became a cooper. His son William 1799 took over the pub, and was there in 1834.

The two Thomases grandparents were brother and sister.

Regards Lynne.