Author Topic: Waterford WW1 lookups available  (Read 73058 times)

Offline Abbeysider

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Waterford WW1 lookups available
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 12:08 GMT (UK) »

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 12:28 GMT (UK) »
I still cannot find in his enlistment documents where it says he was born in Waterford? Please show me.
http://www.archives.govt.nz/exhibitions/passchendaele/view?pid=archives:12552

Offline drbri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am the grand nephew of Hubert Patrick Fisher.  I have gathered quite a bit of information about him, but am still looking for a newspaper obituary written by his father, Harry David Fisher.  Any help would be appreciated.

I do remember seeing the silver cigarette case (mentioned in another post), and need to put out the word to the family to see who is in possession of it now.

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile

Offline drbri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 22:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info. on Hubert Fisher.  I discovered that his dad (my great grandfather) wrote one of the obituaries – a very poignant story.

Also, do you know where the Shropshire Regiment has their archives?

I'm attaching a picture of the Fisher family July, 1910, just six years before Hubert's death.  My best guess is that he is at the far right.

Offline MacGearailt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom, Could you look up John Hannigan from Tramore. 67. 16/BN. A.I.F. I already have his A.I.F record.

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 19:24 BST (UK) »
HANNIGAN, JOHN. Rank: Private Regiment or Service: Australian Infantry, A. I. F. Unit: 16th Battalion. Date of Death: 12-December-1916. Service No: 67. Enlisted 08-September-1914 in Freemantle. Hospitalised 20-August-1915 with a gun shot (he later told doctors it was a shell burst ) injury to the right lung in Gallipoli and was taken out of the area with a ‘weak chest’. Sent by Hospital Ship to College Hospital in Chelsea, England with Bronchial Catarrh. Twp months later he was diagnosed with Tuberculosis of the chest and discharged.
Lettergram dated 16-December-1916; -
Base Records.
Defence Melbourne.
Lettergram number thirty eight eighty John Hannigan die of phthisis at number eighth Australia General Hospital on twelfth instant stop he was originally number sixty seven of sixteenth battalion and returned to Australia on thirteenth December nineteen fifteen stop was discharged on pension on fourteenth July last stop please inform next of kin father T Hannigan Tramore County Waterford Ireland religion Roman Catholic. 2. 15 pm.
What is your name?……Hannigan, John.
In or near what Parish or Town were you born?……Tramore, Waterford, Ireland.
Are you a natural born British subject or a Naturalised British subject?……British.
What is your age?……25 years 3 months, 1889.
What is your trade or calling?……Ships Fireman.
Are you, or have you been an Apprentice? No. If so where, to whom, and for what period?……
Are you married?…… No.
Who is your next of kin?……Minnie Hannigan, Tramore, Waterford, Ireland.
Have you ever been convicted by the Civil Power?…… No.
Have you ever been discharged from any part of His Majesty’s Forces, with Ignominy, or as Incorrigible and Worthless, or on account of conviction of felony, or of a Sentence of Penal Servitude, or have you been dismissed with Disgrace from the Navy?…… No.
Do you now belong to, or have you ever served in, His Majesty’s Army, the Marines, the Militia, the Militia Reserve, the Territorial Reserve, Royal Navy or Colonial Forces?, No. If so, state which, and if not now serving, state cause of discharge……
Have you stated the whole, if any, of your previous service?……Yes.
Have you ever been rejected as unfit for his Majesty’s Service?…… No. If so, on what grounds?……
(For Married Men and Widowers with Children)---Do you understand that no Separation Allowance will be issued to you either before or after embarkation during your term of service?……Yes.
Age, 26 years, 3 months. Height 5 feet, 8 inches. Weight, 133 lbs. Chest measurement, 34-36 inches. Complexion, dark. Eyes, brown. Hair, brown. Religious denomination, R. C.
His father applied for a pension but was refused as he had ‘adequate means of support’
‘West Australian’ 14-December-1915.
Hannigan- The friends of the late Private John Hannigan, of the 16th Battalion, A. I. F. are respectfully invited to follow his remains to the place of internment. The Roman Catholic portion of the Fremantle Cemetery. The military Cortege will leave Messrs Arthur E Davies and Co’s Private Montuary, Freemantle, This (Thursday) Morning the 14th inst, at 10 o/c.
 Funeral of a Gallipoli Soldier. Private John Hannigan, late stretcher bearer of the 16th battalion, A. I. F. , died on the-----at the No 8 Australian Hospital, Fremantle in his thrity first year. At the memorable landing and through the campaign on the Gallipoli Peninsula owing to the good work and bravery of the stretcher bearers the section of our army has cover itself with glory, and the bravery of the deceased was most conspicuous and recognised by all members of his Battalion, it was quite a common occurrence for his to deny himself necessities so as to give them to a wounded comrade. A wreath which was sent by the returned soldiers of the 16th battalion bears the following inscription; - “In memory of the bravest and best of the Battalion. ” Private Hannigan, who was shot through the lungs, was returned to Fremantle, but from the first it was recognised that he could not live very long. Fortunately he was able to go about and his happy and cheerful---------endeared him to all who made his acquaintance. The long military cortege headed by the firing party and band arrived from Messrs Arthur E Davies and Co’s private mortuary on Thursday, and proceeded to the local Roman Catholic cemetery, where the remains were interred. At the conclusion of the service which was conducted by the Rev Father J Callan, O. M. I, three volleys were fired and the ‘Last Post’ sounded by the bugler. The pall and coffin bearers were sergeant James, Lance-Corporal Vanteh, Privates Woodall, Swindells and Joare(?) (16th Battalion), and Vincent (11th Battalion), all returned soldiers. The firing party, which was supplied from the details camp, Karrabatts(?) was under Sergeant Wood of the Returned Soldiers Guard. The Blackboy Hill Band was in charge of the Bandmaster Halvarsen. The mourners were numerous returned soldiers of the 11th and 16th Battalions. The ------was under the supervision of Colonel L. L. Tetney, -----unreadable.
Grave or Memorial Reference: R. C. CC. 613. Cemetery: Fremantle cemetery, Australia.

Offline MacGearailt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 19:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot for that, Tom. That was fast. That must me some database you have.

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 20:53 BST (UK) »
Glad to help.
These lads WILL be remembered.
 Tom.