Author Topic: Baptist Chapel, Sardis  (Read 10620 times)

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Baptist Chapel, Sardis
« on: Friday 10 May 13 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have been advised that Elizabeth Mary Palmer who passed away 8 Feb 1926 and her husband
James Palmer who died 8 March 1950 were buried in the Cemetery located at Sardis Baptist Chapel.

I am wondering how I can find if there are headstones on the graves or any information regarding
MI's. 

As I live in Australia, I do not know the area (only use Google Earth) so any hints or suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards
Carole t     ps hope i have placed this on the correct board

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
Re: Baptist Chapel, Sardis
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 May 13 05:43 BST (UK) »
Get out of hospital, I have to go to back yet again to sardis for military related research. Can search burial ground for you, if no one beats me to it.
Can not remember at present if the surnames of your interest are listed in my transcription of sardis records.
Rgds
Owen ap benfro.
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 May 13 05:56 BST (UK) »
Owen

Thank you do much for your kind offer, if you have time whenever you visit, that would be wonderful. I gave been told that they are buried together,  but have no idea of location, plot numbers etc. I have tried to find this information on the Internet but have had no luck.

I know I have a hide, but if you do visit could I ask if you could take a few photographs of the area, even if there is no headstone,

Thanks again

Carole t

Offline jonm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 May 13 10:23 BST (UK) »
Carole

Can you be more precise about the location of this chapel?

I am aware of two 'Sardis' chapels in the county, one at Burton (Baptists), the other near Saundersfoot (Independents). I assume you mean the former.

Jon

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 May 13 13:02 BST (UK) »
Jon

I am really sorry, I was just told that they were buried at "Sardis Baptist Chapel. Sardis is a small village just a few miles from Llangwyn". I hope that makes sense to you.

On Ancestry I found in the Probate records regarding "James Palmer of Chapel House, The Becon, Rosemarket, Neyland Pembrokeshire" who died 8 March 1950. I have looked on Google Earth and Rosemarket and Sardis are very close to each other.

Also in the 1891 and 1901 Census James, Elizabeth and children, Mary Ann, Levi John, Frederick and Edith were living in Back Lane, Civil Parish of Burton. In 1911 they are living in Ashdale Lodge Barton Haverfordwest.

I have assumed that they were buried in the grounds of the Baptist Chapel, in the village of Sardis,  I did not understand that there were other Chapels named Sardis.

Carole T
Ps I think I should also mention that the same person who said that they were buried at Sardis Baptist Chapel, mentioned that James Palmer, his son Levi John Palmer and Levi's son Allen James Palmer became Freemen of Pembroke. I do not know if this additional information helps.

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 May 13 15:05 BST (UK) »
Have taken some a while ago but think they're on my other machine - will have a look.  Its quite a large graveyard.

SORRY - WAS TALKING OF THE WRONG ONE.

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 May 13 15:30 BST (UK) »

Sorry for the confusion - I have pictures of the chapel at Sardis village - which does not appear to be what you want which is Sardis Chapel Burton - there are some pictures online here - http://www.dyfedfhs.org.uk/pem-churchesandchapels.php

Also some images here - http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/%20SM971087

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 May 13 00:03 BST (UK) »
Crunwere

Thanks for the links,  the second link has a photo of a street sign at a road junction with 4 directional signs attached. I think I can make out 3 of the signs. One of the signs points to Rosemarket 1 Mile /Klm while the second has a Welsh name (which I cannot make out) it also mentions Sardis Baptist Church. The third in yet another direction could be Burton 3 1/2 Miles/ Klm.

The signs leads me to believe that there is a Baptist Church or Chapel in the village of Sardis, and from your replies it seems that there is a large graveyard attached.

Would it be possible for you to send me some of the photos you have, I could send you my email address by a PM

Many thanks for you interest, after Breakfast I will try and find that road junction on Google Earth and follow the signs, to find the Chapel.

Carole t

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 May 13 09:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole - sorry if we have been confusing you - turns out there are two Sardis villages which both have chapels - but only one with a Baptist chapel.
That is the one I sent linked pictures of and looking on google earth I think you have the correct one here https://maps.google.com/maps?q=rosemarket+pembrokeshire&hl=en&ll=51.740583,-4.94123&spn=0.010311,0.038581&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=58.72842,79.013672&t=h&hnear=Rosemarket,+Pembrokeshire,+United+Kingdom&z=15&layer=c&cbll=51.740576,-4.941229&panoid=wBkA4laeJFgVHOLfdge-ZQ&cbp=11,171.77,,0,0.9 though its up a lane they never photographed.

Sorry but I do not have any pictures of that Baptist chapel - it was the other one I have images for.

Hope someone else can help you.