Author Topic: The Bell Inn pub, Fradley.  (Read 2146 times)

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Bell Inn pub, Fradley.
« on: Sunday 04 October 09 10:02 BST (UK) »
 ???
I have learned from the 1911 census that my ancestor Thomas Jones used to be the landlord of the Bell Inn pub in Fradley  ~~  prior to that, he was a farmer in the area. I have tried searching the internet to find out any info re. the pub with no success  ~~  I was hoping that it may have still been  in existence today. My search did however show another pub by the same name in the  near by village of Whittington. This surprised me as I wouldn't have thought that two pubs would have been given the same name when they were so close together.
Does anyone know any info re. the Bell Inn pub in Fradley?  I am now wondering whether it does not exist any more or could it still exist but be now known by a different name?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you,
Treefan.

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
Re: The Bell Inn pub, Fradley.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 October 09 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Treefan

I had a look on the 1901 census, and there is a Bell Inn mentioned. It was between Rye Croft Farm and Fradley House. Looking at the census info it came under Fradley which came under Alrewas.

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 October 09 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Ricky,
Thanks for your message. The farm which you mentioned (Rye Croft Farm) was my ancestor's farm & the pub next door is shown to be run by the Fisher family in the 1901 census.
The 1911 census shows that the pub landlord, Thomas Fisher, had died & his widow, Mary Fisher, had married my ancestor Thomas Jones who quit working the farm to run the pub with his new wife. The farm was then left in the hands of his brothers.

Thanks again,
Treefan.

Online conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 August 14 16:48 BST (UK) »

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=696321.0

Some info about pubs in Fradly on this link