Author Topic: Devaney from somewhere in Ireland  (Read 12434 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Devaney from somewhere in Ireland
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 19 May 11 08:55 BST (UK) »
Just a thought - have you checked the actual marriage register entries? RC marriage registers sometimes have a lot more information than is shown on the certificate.

St Mary's Highfield Street  per http://www.liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk/liverpoolrcmarriages/marriages.php
 (ref 763 - Ann Morgan/Thomas Devany)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Devaney1886

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 19 May 11 12:33 BST (UK) »
Can't believe I have never come across that site before! Thank you so much, have put in a request. Fingers crossed theirs is one of the 20% with extra detail!
Cowdrey: Middlesex
Maidment: Yeovil
Whiley:Middlesex and Aylsham
Johnson: Balham, Poplar etc
Tafe: Ireland and Liverpool
Devaney: Ireland and Liverpool
Morgan: Ireland, Co. Durham and Liverpool
Murray: Ireland, Co. Durham and Liverpool
Green: Redbourn and Middlesex
Brewer: Woodford and Romford
Norman: Middlesex
Bradbury: Middlesex and Egham
Samuel: Liverpool and Jersey
Pittard: Somerset
MacFarlane: Aldgate
Fletcher: Norfolk
Rayment: Essex

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
  • The O'Kane Family Garvagh
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 20 May 11 18:08 BST (UK) »
The Thomas b. 1852  in Tipperary had a  father called Patrick and mother called Ellen Orman
in the parish of Cournaganeen(Bournry) RC.

You can discount him as it seems the whole family went to America according to this post http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/localities.northam.usa.states.newyork.counties.orange/317/mb.ashx

O'Kane, O'Mullan: Garvagh Derry
Bowe: Currabaha ,Waterford
McManus: Aghagallon ,Antrim
McGowan: Drumshambo, Leitrim

Offline Devaney1886

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 20 May 11 21:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you anyway  :)

Offline kidderuk2

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 14 May 12 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi my name is Thomas Devaney doing my family history. my family started in roscommon ireland Anne Devaney  was my g/g/g/gran mother who came over in about 1871 by the census .with sons Peter John and Michael and settled down in wrexham north wales. she was a widower her husband was Thomas Devaney i have no invo on him as yet?Her son John Devaney  my g/g/ grandad who marreid Hanora Rawlins on the 16 may 1881 both 23 years old .Hanora,s dad Benjamin Rawlins was a surveyor all living in wrexham and all coming from roscommon . Anne was born in 1829 in roscommon      .I have Hanora coming from Castleland roscommon.There were a lot of irish,s living in wrexham around tuttle st, and mount st. So good invo in wrexham north wales There is a Michael Devaney who was  living in everton liverpool my g/g/uncle with a wife and son Thomas.his wife,s surname was Lloyd hope this will help others doing family history.P.S. John and hanora had children john thomas benjamin and hanora and bessy .ben died age 9 in 1896. JOhn was my g/dad who moved to birkenhead with all his brothers and sisters when he lost his mum and dad

Offline Hatina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 14 May 12 12:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the info, will keep it in mind when researching; you never know we may tie in somewhere.

Offline Devaney1886

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 09 June 12 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hi my name is Thomas Devaney doing my family history. my family started in roscommon ireland Anne Devaney  was my g/g/g/gran mother who came over in about 1871 by the census .with sons Peter John and Michael and settled down in wrexham north wales. she was a widower her husband was Thomas Devaney i have no invo on him as yet?Her son John Devaney  my g/g/ grandad who marreid Hanora Rawlins on the 16 may 1881 both 23 years old .Hanora,s dad Benjamin Rawlins was a surveyor all living in wrexham and all coming from roscommon . Anne was born in 1829 in roscommon      .I have Hanora coming from Castleland roscommon.There were a lot of irish,s living in wrexham around tuttle st, and mount st. So good invo in wrexham north wales There is a Michael Devaney who was  living in everton liverpool my g/g/uncle with a wife and son Thomas.his wife,s surname was Lloyd hope this will help others doing family history.P.S. John and hanora had children john thomas benjamin and hanora and bessy .ben died age 9 in 1896. JOhn was my g/dad who moved to birkenhead with all his brothers and sisters when he lost his mum and dad

Lots of info there, thank you, fingers crossed we can tie in somewhere along the line

Offline dollmaher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 17 July 14 11:14 BST (UK) »
This has been my brick wall for 8 years  :(

My Great Great Grandfather was one Thomas Devaney, born in Ireland around 1856. My first sighting of him is in 1881 where he is single, and working in a pub.

In 1882 he married my Gt Gt Grandmother, Annie Morgan in Liverpool. Father's name on the marriage certificate is Patrick Devaney, deceased, Licensed Victualler.
Thomas and Annie had 4 children: Michael, John Patrick, Mary Gertrude and Joseph.

In the 1891 census Thomas is working in a pub in Cheshire, while Annie and the children are still at home in Liverpool.
Later on in 1891 Thomas died in Liverpool workhouse [TB]

I have no idea when Thomas came over from Ireland, or if his Father Patrick came too, nor who is Mother was.
Family hearsay has it they were from Mayo, but I have no concrete evidence of this, and actually despair of even ever finding a county for him.
Can only hope that some one has come across them in their own research and knows a bit more.
Many thanks for any help

Hi there sorry I can't help but I'm looking for relatives/ decendants of James & Julia (nee Boylan) Devaney also Fyves?? Some who live in the UK .. Devaney names in the Liverpool area were James (Jim) .Betty & Kevin children?? London John(Jack) sons Paul & Anthony. Della Shields nee Devaney Birmingham Margaret Lynch nee Devaney Son Mark Lynch  Daughter Bridget Lynch.
Also family in Cincinnati  in the US

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 17 July 14 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

Take a look at

http://www.yelp.ie/biz/deveneys-dundrum

and scroll to the end of the page, where there is information on the history of this family business, dating back to 1909.

With the same occupation, I wonder if this family is connected to your own.  For the record, you can google Deveneys Off Licence and it will show the family's many businesses, all connected with the pub trade!

Wonder if there is a connection. 

Cheers (excuse the pun)...