Author Topic: Sarah Duplex, b. 1826 Ballyamon  (Read 3164 times)

Offline Jerseyfox

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Duplex, b. 1826 Ballyamon
« on: Monday 07 July 14 21:22 BST (UK) »
Looking for birth family
Caldwell, O'Donnell, Hamilton, Thompson, Walker

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Duplex, b. 1826 Ballyamon
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 12:01 BST (UK) »
Do you know what county Ballyamon is in?
I can see a lot of debate on line about it, some people think it's in Wexford, it not coming up in the Townland Database or Griffith's Valuation.

Offline Jerseyfox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 16:27 BST (UK) »
I came up with this town of birth from two family trees on ancestry. They listed Kings Co. (which is also known as Offaly). Neither tree had primary records with that information.  I have posted a query re same on both trees.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply
Warm Regards
Jerseyfox

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 17:10 BST (UK) »
Think they may be saying Offaly as that's where the name Duplex occurs in Griffith's Valuation, but there are also records showing in Dublin, and one in Roscommon.
Did Sarah stay in Ireland, marry in Ireland?

It would be good to see the original of Ballyamon as people here may be able to figure out where it is.
I have a few thoughts to follow up.

Offline Jerseyfox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 19:11 BST (UK) »
Reportedly Sarah was born, 1826 in Ballyamon, Kings (or Affley) Co., to JOHN DUPLEX [Dupleix], b. 1778 in Althlone, Westmeath, and a Deborah Martin. Sarah ,unmarried, arrived in New York City 5 May 1848 with her brother Robert who apparently planned to marry a U.S. citizen, Malvina Unknown and move to Toronto.  She then was recorded in Montreal in May of 1849 where she married a John Wilkes of "The Queens Light Dragoons." They were married in the "Wee Kirk" (Erskine Presbyterian)[Drouin Collection on Ancestry] formed by Secessionists from the Church of Scotland. I wondered why Montreal, but that church history shows institution of a Duplex Weekly Offering Envelope in 1908 which leads me to guess she may well of had family in Montreal.

Some time between 1861 & 1871 they moved to Toronto.  They had six children; Sarah was widowed at age 46 but lived to age 92 in Toronto.

My husband is descended from their daughter Sarah Jane who married a John Titus Caldwell in Toronto in 1874 at Knox Presbyterian Church. Our Caldwell's were brought to Toronto as skilled Wallpaper craftsmen by the Moses Staunton Co. of Belfast, and our line followed that trade into Buffalo, NY, New Brunswick, NJ and York, PA. It was only that marriage record held by our family and vague references to them being Scots Presbyterians from near Glasgow that lead me over numerous years to tracing the family.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 19:24 BST (UK) »
Ive been looking for possibilities for Ballyamon in Offaly.
Most likely Ballynanum
Ballyoran
Ballynolan
Ballynamona
Ballinoman
Ballinamoe

Offline Jerseyfox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 21:52 BST (UK) »
Perhaps it would be easier to find her father John b. 1778 or brother Richard b. 1821 both in Athlone, Westmeath.  Richard was a carpenter.  Perhaps in Scots-Presbyterian records, a marriage or baptism.

It is always invigorating to correspond with a dedicated genealogist.  I have been active with multiple family trees since 2000 when I retired as a nurse-mental health counselor. My maternal grandfather was my muse; an inveterate letter writer who traveled to find records. Besides my Caldwells we are also descended from O'Donnells in Killybegg. Also Irish was my paternal grandmother whom I only saw twice in my life.  She was an Irene Elizabeth Martin, was estranged from my father. All I know was that she was born to a James Patrick Martin and a Mary Maloney in Bridgeport CT.  They family worked for the Warner Bra & Girdle Factory.  These common Irish names have left me no hook to use in a Irish search.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 23:12 BST (UK) »
Wow there are so many variations on the name.
But a Sarah, Richard or John at the right time, no.
There are some Dupleacks/Dupleakks in Westmeath in the early 1700s.
This may be of interest
http://www.athlone.ie/genealogy/church-and-state-records

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 00:11 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this is John
1815 Accounts and Papers relating to Increase and Diminution of Salaries in Public Offices of Ireland
Milltary - Ordance Office
William Weaver, esquire, Storekeeper, Athlone £85
Mr. J. Dupleix, 1st Clerk to ditto £20
Found it here http://www.traceyclann.com/files/Roscommon.htm