Author Topic: John Jones of Jervais St. Dublin & Oldtown, Co. Kildare  (Read 8166 times)

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Jones of Jervais St. Dublin & Oldtown, Co. Kildare
« on: Wednesday 16 July 14 02:31 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information about John Jones of Dublin & Co. Kildare. He was born about 1740 to 1750. His daughter Lydia (1785-1854) married Eugene Sweny of Dublin in 1809. They were my 3 x gr. grandparents. The only records we have are references on two Sweny pedigrees.
The one from the London Genealogical Society has more detail, and states that Eugene Sweny of Camden St. mar. Lydia, dau of John Jones of Jervais St. Dublin & Oldtown, Co. Kildare, in Sept. 1809. (John’s wife may have been Lydia or Sarah; these names occur several times in related familes.)
Eugene and Lydia Sweny had daughters Lydia and Sarah. Their cousin was a Lydia Sarah Jones 1810-1880, who married Michael Cooke (no relation to me, so far) in 1843. Lydia Sarah could have been a grand-daughter of John Jones of Kildare/Dublin. Michael’s daughter, Mary Cooke, 1845-1924, is buried at Mt. Jerome with her ‘cousins’ Lydia (Sweny) Mosley and Sarah Sweny.
Michael & Lydia Cooke had three daughters- Sarah Alice, who married twice, to Lewis Rawson of Baltinglass, Wicklow in 1870, then in 1886 to Fredk. Fawcett                           Margaret 1844, mar. William Ashley, dau Lydia
 Mary 1845-1924, not mar. bur. St. Jerome in a Sweny grave.
(I see that there were Jones’ at Baltinglass, but it is not an uncommon name.)
Perhaps someone recognises one or more of the people mentioned and could shed more light on the Jones family.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Jones of Jervais St. Dublin & Oldtown, Co. Kildare
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 July 14 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hi There

I can't shed any light on your tree as you are already back further than most Irish records go BUT I thought it might help that John Jones Dublin address should be JERVIS Street NOT JERVAIS Street - It MIGHT help if googling.

Do you know what John's occupation was ?

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 July 14 01:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara,
Thanks very much for all your info. I have seen references to both Jervis & Jervais Sts. in Dublin.
On the pedigree it is definitely Jervais St.
I have not found John Jones' occupation, but at that time it was common that people married someone from the same station in life, or at least a similar one. Eugene Sweny was an undertaker of 5 Lower Camden St. (now occupied by Corrigan & Sons).
Strange that John Jones of Oldtown (or Old Town) Kildare is not noted in land records etc.
I'm beginning to think that he was not from Kildare.
Ken

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 July 14 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,

The main land records for Ireland are the Griffiths Valuation that were taken in the late 1850's early 1860's.

John would have passed away long before that.

He also may not have owned land - just resided in those areas.

Also, there a quiet a few Oldtown's around around, I'm just wondering was Kildare defo mentioned on the 1809 record OR is it possible that the clerk was told Oldtown and presumed Kildare - a long shot but you never know !

Also, I was thinking that Jervis St. had our once famous hospital on it - and the fact that the Sweeney's were undertakers - I was wondering might the two families have made connections that way !

Tara

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 July 14 00:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara,
Thanks again for your reply. Yes, it seems we can only speculate about John Jones, but I think I have made a breakthrough.
I have found a document which mentions a sale or lease of property to a John Jones of Oldtown, Co. Kildare in 1792. Unfortunately I haven't managed to get the details yet, but I'm still trying.
I'll post them as soon as they are confirmed.
Ken

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 July 14 01:40 BST (UK) »
Well, here's proof that he did exist.

From 'Papers of the Earls of Wicklow' held by Nat.Library Ireland.MS38,579/11 Page 75 of 232:

"Two lives or twenty-one year lease of lands at [Ballyvoughan] and Bushfield, barony of Talbotstown, County Wicklow, by Robert, Lord Viscount Wicklow to John Jones, Oldtown, county Kildare. 3 Mar. 1792."

Now I wonder if there's a link to the Jones family of Wicklow. Baltinglass is very close to Talbotstown, about 3-4 miles.

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 July 14 22:00 BST (UK) »
Tithe Appointments also seem to record that Wicklow, Talbotstown, lease to John Jones in 1825.
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/home.jsp