Author Topic: William Richard Barker  (Read 4270 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
William Richard Barker
« on: Monday 14 April 14 16:17 BST (UK) »
I have come up against a brick wall in my research of William Richard Barker and I wondered if members could help.  Prior to the Great War, William Richard Barker was a uncertified teacher (1912-1914) at Brithdir Mixed Department, Gelligaer, Glamorgan. He volunteered to join the South Wales Borderers on the outbreak of war, secured rapid promotion and obtained his commission to Lieutenant, served with distinction gaining the Military Cross for conspicuous bravery in Mesopotamia.  He returned to teaching at Brithdir on demobilisation, but only for a short period, leaving there in Aug 1919.  His medal index card show his address at Pontlottyn, Glamorgan crossed out and a new address added, that of Canynge Hall, White Ladies Road, Clifton, Bristol (unable to locate any record why he moved there). William Richard Barker married Rachel Elizabeth Hughes at the parish church, Pontlottyn in 1922.  Details of him post 1922 however have been difficult to find.  There is information on (Ancestry family tree) with hints that he died in Cardiff in 1972 but I have not been able to confirm this.  I would appreciate any help locating details of his life post Brithdir Schools.
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Richard Barker
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 April 14 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy,

There's a death record for a William Richard Barker in Dec 1972 in Cardiff, date of birth 7 Sep 1893 (aged 79). 

The tree on Ancestry has a series of wonderful photos of the wedding (8 Aug 1922). Will look for his wife's death as the tree says she died in Plymouth, Iowa, USA  :-\

Deirdre

Edit: Likely to be Plymouth, Devon ::). Rachel Elizabeth Barker, Plymouth, Devon. Registered Sep 1983, born 30 March 1895 (aged 88).

Ancestry offers a 1930 US Federal census for both William and Rachel but I don't have a worldwide subscription sorry.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 09:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Deirdre
I use Mundia to access Family Trees but it is a very unreliable program; the one time I managed to open up the Barker tree, I tried to make contact with the person who loaded the wedding photos, first explaining my interest, asked permission to use one of the images and for any post war details.  Unfortunately I never got a reply.  Its a shame, his medals are on public view in the Regimental Museum along with a fine photograph of him in uniform, which the museum graciously allowed be to photograph.  These along with details I transcribed from my local boys school on his time there, teaching, plus his army details makes, for a good read, I just feel something post war would finish it off.
As usual I am grateful for your input and appreciate your help.
Regards, Roy   
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy,

Would you like me to try and contact them through Ancestry for you? The tree owner who posted the photos originally has been on-line this month.

Perhaps you could email me what you'd like me to ask?

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 13:40 BST (UK) »
Deirdre
That's very kind of you.  I would appreciate your offer of making contact.
Probably best to explain my interest; researching the soldiers from Brithdir who served in WW1.  I would like permission to use a copy of his and Rachel's wedding photo (bride & groom). Basically what happened to him/them post marriage. If possible I would like to know what become of him after he left Brithdir School.  Why did he relocate to Clifton, Bristol (my thoughts were perhaps to teach at another school or possible to study) but I have not been able to prove either.

Regards, Roy

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy, will do.

I've found William's death and burial if that helps. At least cremation....

He died on 17 Dec 1972 and was cremated at Thornhill (Cardiff) on 20 Dec 1972. The cremation records say he was from Bargoed. Next of kin Rachel.

No record of Rachel being buried in Cardiff sorry.

Deirdre

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 April 14 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy,

Great news  :) I've had a reply from the tree owner who is happy for you to use the photo. He / she is related to Billy and Rachel and will be in touch with you direct.

Hope that helps,

Deirdre

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 April 14 14:15 BST (UK) »
Deidre
You are a star; brilliant I look forward to hearing from the relative.  I will let you know how I get on.

Regards, Roy

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 April 14 14:47 BST (UK) »
Deidre
You are a star; brilliant I look forward to hearing from the relative.  I will let you know how I get on.

Regards, Roy

No problem Roy; I assume you saw the death / cremation details too?