Author Topic: COMPLETED Help with some words from a 1689 will  (Read 865 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMPLETED Help with some words from a 1689 will
« on: Sunday 21 December 14 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Hoping some kind Rootschatter can help me out with a couple of phrases that keep cropping up throughout an old Northumberland will.  I've typed below what I think is correct so far but would appreciate a second (or more) opinion on the queried word and also some help with the blanks please. 

Item I give devise & bequeath the sum of five pounds to my daughter Margaret  to be paid by my said son William Winter out of my messuages lands ????? herein before by me devised to him at Martinmas (?) or ???? after the decease of my wife Margaret by ??? equal portions the first payment to be made at the Martinmas or ??? ??? shall first happen five months after my said wifes decease.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with some words from a 1689 will
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 December 14 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Oops sorry for all the white space on the attachment - forgot to crop and now I cant figure out how to remove & replace it   :-[
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 December 14 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Hoping some kind Rootschatter can help me out with a couple of phrases that keep cropping up throughout an old Northumberland will.  I've typed below what I think is correct so far but would appreciate a second (or more) opinion on the queried word and also some help with the blanks please. 

Item I give devise & bequeath the sum of five pounds to my daughter Margaret  to be paid by my said son William Winter out of my messuages lands ????? herein before by me devised to him at Martinmas (?) or ???? after the decease of my wife Margaret by ??? equal portions the first payment to be made at the Martinmas or ??? ??? shall first happen five months after my said wifes decease.

In both cases the word you are uncertain of is Pentecost
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 December 14 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Martinmas & Pentecost

Fantastic!  Thank you  :D

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 December 14 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Don't suppose you can figure out what comes after "messuages, land" can you?

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 December 14 17:30 GMT (UK) »
tenements and hereditaments
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 December 14 17:51 GMT (UK) »
tenements and hereditaments

Thank you! 

Both sections make perfect sense now but I've been struggling for days to fill in those blanks.  Greatly appreciate the help.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 December 14 18:42 GMT (UK) »
after the decease of my wife Margaret by ??? equal portions
... after the decease of my Wife Margaret by even
&
equall porc(i)ons ...

I believe the bequest is six pounds (not five), first payable six months after the wife's decease.  :)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 December 14 18:51 GMT (UK) »
after the decease of my wife Margaret by ??? equal portions
... after the decease of my Wife Margaret by even
&
equall porc(i)ons ...

I believe the bequest is six pounds (not five), first payable six months after the wife's decease.  :)

Oh yes, you're right.   I did think that five months was odd but skipped over it trying to figure out the blanks.   

Another "thank you"  :D 

So glad I asked for help  ;D