Author Topic: Amon, Sam  (Read 15345 times)

Offline kiwisue1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Amon, Sam
« Reply #27 on: Friday 20 January 12 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi am related to the Amons my father was Allen Alexander born Alton and his Father Frederick ,mother Helen Maude Allen we are also related to the Nickels

Offline clairefalvey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 20 January 12 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
Do you have much on the Amon's? My ggg grandfather was Samuel Amon and there seem to be quite a few Amon genealogists out there. I have been in contact with a few people from other lines from Samuel Amon and Martha. I come from Harry Amon, the eldest (living) child.

Claire

Offline kiwisue1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 20 January 12 04:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire

I am just starting but I do know a lot about my fathers generation I was also lead to believe that we are related to Chris Amon

Offline clairefalvey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 20 January 12 04:36 GMT (UK) »
I thought he came from another lot and was not related...the thought has crossed my mind but I have read that there is no link.

The Amon/Ammon/Almon/Almond line goes back quite a way. I was quite surprised when I found this out. The Amon side is quite well done...sadly this is not the case with other family members, including Sarah Ann Jackson who married Harry Amon. The Jacksons and that side are incredibly frustrating as I have absolutely nothing on them from the family at all and Jackson is a hard name to trace. Ah well, it is what happens in family trees!

Offline kiwisue1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 20 January 12 06:48 GMT (UK) »
Marion Amon married Sam Nickel there was also talk of Uncle Sam Nickel.

Offline clairefalvey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 20 January 12 06:59 GMT (UK) »
I knew nothing on the Amon's when I started. What I know now is that Samuel and Martha nee Revell came to NZ around 1880 (I think) and lived in the Alton area in Taranaki. I have that Frederick was born in NZ.

They came from Kent and the tree goes back on both sides (eg Amon's and Revell's) to the 1600's. As I said before there are quite a few Amon's researchers from this line as well as others further back.

Offline kiwisue1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 20 January 12 09:26 GMT (UK) »
I will do more asking around the family what date do you have for the birth of Frederick

Offline clairefalvey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 20 January 12 19:38 GMT (UK) »
For Frederick I have a date of Apr 14 1891 died 1940 in Patea who married Maud Marion Allen in 1913 and had 6 children.

Offline Josie Amon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 22:44 BST (UK) »
Samuel Amon is my Great Grandfather. My Grandfather is his son William. I would like more information if possible about the Amon family history. I have recently connected to a descendant from the Chris Amon side of the family and says that there is a story that two Amon brothers had a falling out when they arrived in Taranaki and never spoke to each other again. He thinks that this would be our two ancestors but I can not find a connection. It is a coincidence that they lived so close together and the Amon surname is very unusual.
Another story that has been passed down in my family is that my uncle was on a train and someone came up to him convinced he was someone else named Amon. The person was not anyone in out family and I believe the name they gave was connected to the Chris Amon side. So it is odd that there was such a strong family resemblance.
Does anyone know anything further on this?