Author Topic: Looking for Ancestors James Anderson Margaret McKeand  (Read 15676 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Ancestors James Anderson Margaret McKeand
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 09:58 BST (UK) »
Just found a piece from the Statistical Accounts on Lochenbreck Well:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0zi9/

It seems that there was a small house , built by Walter Sloane (the owner), at the Well - no farm mentioned.

A full listing of all the Statistical Accounts for the Scottish Parishes  (1st and 2nd Accounts), ca nbe selected here:

http://stat-acc-scot.edina.ac.uk/sas/sas.asp?action=public&passback=

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 10:06 BST (UK) »
At the bottom of the page (previous ref)

'Feus or building leases may be had on very moderate terms' 

So maybe James had a building lease. Note that this was written 15 years or so before the baptism of their first child, so things might have changed. *

Gadget

* added - I don't think that they changed very much. The 2nd Statistical Acoount (1830s-1840s) has a similar account of the springs, except that the owner is now a William Sloane.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 11:39 BST (UK) »
A Street View of part of Cotton Street, where James and Margaret lived on  the1841 and1851 censuses:

http://goo.gl/maps/0y221

It's just to the NE of King Street (in the photo that I put up)

Gadget

Offline Kwicknit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,thanks for all the new information,i hope I am replying on thread not personal takes a while to get used to this,anyway it is Wednesday night 11.55pm here and it is time I went to bed,enjoy the rest of your day.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 13:19 BST (UK) »
You've got the right button this time  :)

I'm not sure if there's anything else that I can find. I'll leave you to digest it and get back with any queries.

Just thinking that my Carson/Burgess/Wilson ancestors might well have known yours - Great X 3 Aunty Mary and her husband lived in King Street, Castle Douglas in the 1820s and 30s. 

Gadget

Offline Kwicknit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Ancestors
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 01 June 14 08:25 BST (UK) »
:D

Got an MI for them - Kelton:

By William Anderson in memory of James Anderson of Castle Douglas (d 7. 2. 1855*) 81 (wife Margt McKeand d. Castle Douglas 10.3. 1853, 75. Daughter Elisa, 25.12.1825, 16. Son in law, Copeland Anderson, d. Castle Douglas 14.9. 1845, 36, children James and three Elizabeths, d. inf)

A bit of a messy MI but I think all after the parenthesis before Margaret refers to relatives of James Anderson.

Gadget

* a good year for a BMD in Scotland  :)

Offline Kwicknit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Ancestors
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 08:15 BST (UK) »
:D

Got an MI for them - Kelton:

By William Anderson in memory of James Anderson of Castle Douglas (d 7. 2. 1855*) 81 (wife Margt McKeand d. Castle Douglas 10.3. 1853, 75. Daughter Elisa, 25.12.1825, 16. Son in law, Copeland Anderson, d. Castle Douglas 14.9. 1845, 36, children James and three Elizabeths, d. inf)

A bit of a messy MI but I think all after the parenthesis before Margaret refers to relatives of James Anderson.

Gadget

* a good year for a BMD in Scotland  :)

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 10:46 BST (UK) »
I'm related to the McKeands of Kirkcudbright (my GG grandmother being Agnes McKeand) and can tell you that their surname is often transcribed as McKean.

There is a birth record for Margaret McKean born 5 February 1774 in Anwoth, Kirkcudbright. Parents are Alexander McKean and Jean Cowan.

Cheers,

Rodeo

Offline Kwicknit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Rodeo,thanks for that I thought the name was McKeand having their MI and James Death Cert as you probably saw on my postings James was my GGGrandfather, you don't by any chance have any more information on James do you apart from whom he married I have found his father and I am trying to go further back than that I would love to have a copy of any photos etc,i am coming over to Scotland next year and intend to go to Kirkcudbright so I can go to Kelton Grave Yard, I am also going to Kirkpatrick Durham where James father is buried and a few other places.
Thanks Kwicknit