Author Topic: Henry Byne(s) lookup any Census He is great at hiding  (Read 1538 times)

Offline jbee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Henry Byne(s) lookup any Census He is great at hiding
« on: Saturday 24 May 14 00:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

12 Feb 1894, 20 year old Eliza Byne married Charles Lewis, at St Augustine's in South Hackney. Her father is listed as Henry Byne , occupation Builder. On the 4th of May 1874 an Eliza Jane Bynes was baptized at St Michael and All Angels. Her parents were Henry and Maria Bynes . Henry is listed as a labourer . Another child John Edward Bynes was baptized 04 Dec 1871 at the same church. On 10 Sep 1871 a Henry Bynes, labourer,  married Maria Parker at St James the Great in Bethnal Green. Both are shown of full age. Henry's father is shown as Thomas Bynes , a plasterer.

A search of the 1881 census for this family found only the mother Maria Bynes and her children living at 17 John Street in Hackney. Maria is shown as married, age 44, an invalid and born Whitechapel. The two children are aged 9 and 7 and also born Whitechapel. There is a death registered in Hackney Dec 1881 for a Maria Bynes age 43.  I believe the children in the 1891 census may be at 17b Hose Road, Walthamstow, Essex, in the home of Alexander Cunningham and his wife Sarah. They are listed as Brother and Sister in Law. FreeBMD shows a marriage in 1884 between Sarah Parker and Alexander Cunningham. In 1891 census Sarah was recorded as 30 years of age. Her  relationship to Maria Parker is unknown.

I have not been able to find Henry in 1881 or any other census. There is a possible sighting in the 1841, in Westminster (HO 107/733/8) a family headed by Thomas Bynes a plasterer, shows a 10 year old Henry Bynes.

Any help locating Henry in any of the censuses is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack
ANDREW, BAYNES, BEECHING, BRAY, CLEGHORN, COLE, EDWARDS, FLEXMAN, GALSWORTHY, GARTON,  LOCKETT,  MOCKFORD, QUANCE

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Byne(s) lookup any Census He is great at hiding
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 May 14 08:16 BST (UK) »
The baptism of Edward John shows the family were living at 27 Goring Street in 1871

There is a Henry Bines living at the address with his family in 1871 with wife Mary Ann born Whitechapel.  By 1881 the youngest child is working as a servant with surname listed as Bynes. Could this be the family you are looking for?

Henry Bines 37 b Sussex Labourer
Mary A Bines 34 b Whitechapel
Sarah Bines 11
Frances Bines 8
Susan Bines 3
RG10 Piece 329 Folio 35 Page 63

Kay

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 May 14 08:30 BST (UK) »
In the Hackney Union workhouse in 1891 there's a Henry Bynes, 58, widr, blacksmith born St Leonards. Sussex. Also a death in Hackney in 1894.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 May 14 12:15 BST (UK) »
I believe the children in the 1891 census may be at 17b Hose Road, Walthamstow, Essex, in the home of Alexander Cunningham and his wife Sarah. They are listed as Brother and Sister in Law. FreeBMD shows a marriage in 1884 between Sarah Parker and Alexander Cunningham. In 1891 census Sarah was recorded as 30 years of age. Her  relationship to Maria Parker is unknown.

Is Sarah Parker the half sister of John and Eliza and included as Sarah Bines age 11 on the 1871 census I posted?   Sarah Parker's marriage to Alexander Cunningham lists her father as William Parker.   However, at the time of Maria's marriage to Henry,  Maria is listed as a spinster with father John Parker (deceased)??

Offline jbee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 May 14 16:23 BST (UK) »
Kay99 and ShaunJ

Thank you for looking into this. Having looked into the Thomas Bynes family I found in the 1841 a bit more, I believe they are from Devon, near Teignmouth. Can't say for sure but still looking at them.

Kay the family you found at 27 Goring Street, poses many more questions, but is worth looking into.

Shaun I will try to track your Henry back through the censuses as well.

Jack

ANDREW, BAYNES, BEECHING, BRAY, CLEGHORN, COLE, EDWARDS, FLEXMAN, GALSWORTHY, GARTON,  LOCKETT,  MOCKFORD, QUANCE