Author Topic: Mary Fuller wife of William Fuller of Richmond Surrey.  (Read 3719 times)

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Fuller wife of William Fuller of Richmond Surrey.
« on: Friday 20 June 14 08:22 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I am trying to find parents for Mary Fuller m 1806 to William Fuller (1785-1872) of Richmond Surrey. I had thought she was Mary Browning but have been advised through an Ancestry member that William Fuller and Mary Browning had no children (evidence to prove). My Mary and William, who had 9 children, are buried at St John the Baptist Church, Old Malden, Kingston, Surrey. Can anyone help?

cheers
Jilly

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Fuller wife of William Fuller of Richmond Surrey.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 June 14 08:25 BST (UK) »
One step at a time! Cant begin to think about her parents when you havent even got a maiden name for her!

When and where are William and Mary Fullers children christened - especially the eldest?  We need to get the marriage as the next step, to get her maiden name, or establish if it was a first marriage.

Modified - just re read your post - seems you have the marriage in 1806 in Richmond. So what was her surname? Was she a spinster? Witnesses?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 June 14 11:06 BST (UK) »
Oooops - that's what happens when you have so many questions to ask.  ;D.
I know William's parents were William and Hannah and they are also buried at the same church as William and Mary. All of William and Mary's children were christened at St Mary Magdalene, Richmond, Surrey, UK. I'm not sure if there were 8 or 9 - William, Hannah, Thomas, Mary-Ann, John, Charles, Edward, Henry and ?George.
She definitely died on 24 June 1861 but I can't find anything on the marriage.
Jilly

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 June 14 11:29 BST (UK) »
I see in 1851 Mary gives her pob as Staffordshire.

(I see the 1806 marriage is in St Dunstans Middx, to Mary Browning. )
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 June 14 12:23 BST (UK) »
The 1861 Census also states that she was born in Abbots, Bromley, Staffordshire. The rest of the family in this census are definitely my ancestors. On going back through my research, I think  there may be two Mary Brownings . . . but which Mary Browning married William Fuller at St Dunstans on 21 June 1806 still needs clarifying. My Mary and William's first child was born in 1808 so that works, but my Ancestry contact assures me that the St Dunstans Fullers are hers. Maybe there is another marriage somewhere for Mary Browning and William Fuller.

This is what she said:
"Well my William Fuller 1756-1848 is buried in Tooting Graveney, Surrey and he was a partner in Child's Bank. He married Mary Browning on 21 June 1806 at St DUnstan in the West. She was my 5G aunt. He was baptized 16 Jan 1757 son of William and Sarah Fuller. I know this to be the William Fuller who married Mary Browning in 1806 and Sarah Browning Fuller is his sister. She never married. I have all their wills and other documentation and am quite certain of the data I have. My William Fuller and Sarah Browning were first cousins. The other persons named as witnesses in their marriage are also relations of Mary Browning, who is the daughter of John Browning and Louisa Barton. William Fuller and Mary Browning did not have any children and left their estates to the children of Augusta Browning who was Mary's sister.
Hope this helps, but I don't think your William married my Mary Browning. My Brownings lived around Bermondsey, Southwark at the time of the marriage of Mary."

What do you think?

Jilly

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 June 14 12:29 BST (UK) »
Sounds OK

You have no reason to think your Mary was necessarily nee Browning, nor that she ever went to St Dunstans.

Yours was born Staffordshire and settles in the Richmond/Kingston area. 

I cant see your William and Marys childrens christenings on the Ancestry Richmond PRs, other than Williams in 1808. I can see the previous generations, his own christening and those of apparent siblings.

Have you got the dates of them all, and are you sure they were Richmond?

Also(sorry, more questions!) When and where did your William die? I am surprised he didnt leave a will, seems a farmer of means, and amongst the household in 1851 was a visiting solicitor!
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 June 14 16:19 BST (UK) »
You say you can't see "William and Mary's childrens christenings on the Ancestry Richmond PRs, other than Williams in 1808. I can see the previous generations, his own christening and those of apparent siblings.". Whose siblings are you talking about?

I have found on Ancestry baptisms for William, Hannah, Thomas, Mary Ann, John, Charles, Edward and Henry (I don't think there was a George in the family so am discounting him) all at St Mary Magdalenes in Richmond, all with dates etc.
I also have a photo of my William along with dates listed on it handed down through the family as well as photos of his and Mary's graves, also with dates, and those of my William's parents, William and Hannah.
My William died on 17 August 1872 and was buried on 20 August 1872 at  St John the Baptist Church, Old Malden, Kingston, Surrey.
I live in Australia and whilst I have visited these graves, I sometimes get places and distances rather mixed up. However I thought my Mary was the Mary Browning in the marriage certificate because the 1851 Census says she was born at Stafford and the 1861 Census states that she was born at Abbots Bromley, Staffordshire, England.The marriage bans says she is from St George Bloomsbury - where is that?
I do have a copy will of William but am having trouble deciphering it. I found it in the England and Wales Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills 1384-1858.
I'm still confused.
Jilly

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 June 14 16:27 BST (UK) »
First, the christenings I mentioned were of children of William and Hannah,  and in the late 1700s, thus siblings of William bn 1785.

I couldnt see any other children of William and Mary apart from William in 1808.

St George Bloomsbury is in London. As is St Dunstans.

Staffordshire is a county a long way from either London or from Richmond.

Old Malden and Kingston are near Richmond.

I would forget that Mary Browning marriage.

If you found a will in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury records for 1384-1858 it cant be for William who died in 1872!! Could be his father (husband of Hannah) . Ill have a look.  What date is it?

DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 June 14 16:38 BST (UK) »
There is one in 1797 for a William in Richmond, mentions his wife Hannah.   And his three children Mary, Hannah and William. Specifically states son   William is under 21.
Also mentions a cousin Thomas Saunders of Lea? Bridge Middlesex as joint executor with Hannah his wife. That might be useful as you get back further.
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex