Author Topic: Ireland Family  (Read 15625 times)

Offline cjl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ireland Family
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 15:19 BST (UK) »
Misha,

Thank you for supplying me with the information you have regarding Moses Ireland.

Can I ask what the source of your information is as to the christening for Moses in 1778 and also how you know that he was aged 20 at the time?

I have a transcript of Wold Newton Parish registers which covers this period in time and although I can find the baptism of Moses on the 7th March 1773, there is no reference to his age, only that his fathers name was Richard Ireland.

During this period in time there was a Richard Ireland who between 1759 and 1778 had a total of ten children all of whom were baptised in Wold Newton, In fact nigh on one every two years.

This Richard Ireland was my 5 times Great Grandfather.

I also have a transcript of Weaverthorpe Parish Registers which covers this period of time and have seen the marriage between Moses Ireland and Frances Sawden in 1773, but have never been able to make a definate link to my line of the Ireland family.

Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Best Wishes
CJL

Redshaw -  Yorkshire.
 Ireland - East Yorkshire,
Slater - East Yorkshire,
Petts - Yorkshire, Derbyshire,
 Hughes - Yorkshire, Staffordshire,
Blackham - Derbyshire, Staffordshire,
Mason - Derbyshire, Yorkshire, Huntingdonshire
Leach - Thornton, West Yorkshire
Driver - Thornton, West Yorkshire
Ambler - Thornton, West Yorkshire
Drake -  Thornton, West Yorkshire
Holland - Staffordshire, Durham
Owen - Staffordshire, Gloucestershire

Offline MissMisha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 18:00 BST (UK) »
My pleasure, this is a primary paternal line for me and one that is of high interest to my research.

This research has been conducted by many people over the course of many years. My Great Uncle Garnet began it all well over 45 years ago. Most of the information I have has been handed from his work. My cousin Roger’s wife Teresa picked up the ball some 20 years ago and I started in on the project about 12-14 years now.

Both Teresa and I are members of an Ireland Surname research group which Y-DNA tests for lineage. The research group has members in the UK and they have been instrumental in clarifying some of the Ireland lines which are being researched. As a result of all this and the DNA project, I know this is my line.

The information I have offered here has been connected to parish records, and I have notes on confirmation up to, but not including my Moses. To date, my primary hitch to deepening my line has been this Moses. I haven’t been able to confirm his parentage.

On the note of his christening at 20 – PURE speculation (excitement) on my part. As my current records note he was born 20 yrs prior to marriage and children. Sincerely, after I posted that note, it occurred to me that there could well be document confusion (whacks forehead). However, I am fairly certain that my Moses was married and procreating by 1773 as we have been able to confirm his third child George as a grandparent to me.

I pulled up some old genfiles and noticed that in all cases, my notes will read NAME, SURNAME (FATHERS NAME/GRANDFATHERS NAME) For my Moses the original genfile reads: IRELAND, Moses (RICHARD).

All that to say, you may well have the link resolving the parentage of my Moses in your desk!!

exciting stuff here
Misha
UK -
England, London Middlesex - Gostick
England, Yorkshire,  - Ireland (Surname)
Scotland, Kirkcudbrightshire,  - Tait, Dickson, Mitchel, McGregor, McMillan, Cuthbertson
Ireland (somewhere) - Haley (and more no doubt)

Canada -
surnames as listed above in:
Ontario; Simcoe County, Footes Bay, Bears Pond, Muskoka
New Brunswick; Pictou, and Albert County,
Nova Scotia; Antigonish and Halifax

Offline cjl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 19:53 BST (UK) »
Misha,

I have sent you a personal message.

Best Wishes
CJL
Redshaw -  Yorkshire.
 Ireland - East Yorkshire,
Slater - East Yorkshire,
Petts - Yorkshire, Derbyshire,
 Hughes - Yorkshire, Staffordshire,
Blackham - Derbyshire, Staffordshire,
Mason - Derbyshire, Yorkshire, Huntingdonshire
Leach - Thornton, West Yorkshire
Driver - Thornton, West Yorkshire
Ambler - Thornton, West Yorkshire
Drake -  Thornton, West Yorkshire
Holland - Staffordshire, Durham
Owen - Staffordshire, Gloucestershire

Offline anderson1889

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 07:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
My research into Alfred Ireland (born England 1836) in Ontario finds me here as a recent discovery has led me to Weaverthorpe and Alfred is connected in some way to James Ireland born Weaverthorpe about 1818. Father George Ireland and mother Mary Featherstone. It looks as if James and Samuel (brother) migrated to Canada. James Ireland married Elizabeth Hewson in 1851 in Quebec but I cannot find Alfred Ireland with them and not sure if he is James' son or Elizabeth's from a previous marriage but James and Elizabeth are listed as Father and Mother on both Alfred's marriages (Ellen Hoover 1860 and Mary Jane Love 1865 - although he has changed his age on the second marriage). They all lived in King or thereabouts in York, Ontario in the 1870's. James and Elizabeth had a second son born in Ontario, Henry Hewson Ireland and he is easily traced but Alfred is proving a dilemma. I did find a migration for Elizabeth Hewson to Quebec with son and family between 1836-1850 so am trying to discover if Alfred Ireland was definitely and Ireland or whether he may have simply been adopted by James Ireland upon his marriage to Elizabeth. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Offline MissMisha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 19:26 BST (UK) »
How are you connected to Alfred?

I've been scoping my files looking for a way to help you identify your Alfred. At first glance, it looks like this Alfred may be akin to my line, but my James Ireland did not marry in Quebec - none of my Irelands married in Quebec -  although my James has a brother Samuel.

Then I started thinking on your dates and I wondered if your Alfred might actually be the son of an Elizabeth - who happens to be the sister of the brothers aforementioned.

In 1836 the brothers Samuel and James would have been but 15 and 18 years old while the sister Elizabeth would have been 25. These brothers and sister are just three of the 8 children born to George Ireland and Mary Featherstone. This is the group in my line that first arrived here in Canada.

If this assumption works, that would make Alfred the nephew of Samuel and James, grand child of George and Mary (Featherstone). Pure speculation on my part.

Unfortunately, I've stored my archive discs as I'd been renovating and only have my direct lines available on this computer, but will spend time in the next couple of weeks to dig up my discs - maybe a Thanksgiving weekend project -  and check for that Alfred; my master file has the list of all the kids of the kids of the kids and so on and so on - I feel I remember seeing him (Alfred) somewhere in my geno.

I did scope out ancestry looking for George and Mary and their kids but found little of use.

We'll keep in touch
Misha

I really should invest in a family tree application eh? !!
UK -
England, London Middlesex - Gostick
England, Yorkshire,  - Ireland (Surname)
Scotland, Kirkcudbrightshire,  - Tait, Dickson, Mitchel, McGregor, McMillan, Cuthbertson
Ireland (somewhere) - Haley (and more no doubt)

Canada -
surnames as listed above in:
Ontario; Simcoe County, Footes Bay, Bears Pond, Muskoka
New Brunswick; Pictou, and Albert County,
Nova Scotia; Antigonish and Halifax

Offline anderson1889

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Misha
Thanks for such a quick reply.
You probably remember an Alfred Ireland as Samuel and Caroline had an Alfred (aged 2 in the 1861 census of Canada).
There is a marriage for James Ireland and Elizabeth Hewson in 1851 in Quebec that is listed on Ancestry.ca and I also found her and Elizabeth Hewson with son and family in the 1836-1850 logs but no specific date. I have searched everywhere (online) for either an Alfred Hewson (various spellings) or Alfred Ireland born in England in 1836 but no luck. He may have been an illegitimate son of Elizabeth Hewson's that James Ireland took on upon marriage to Elizabeth?? I found Alfred Ireland born 1836 (parents James and Elizabeth) in a marriage to Ellen Hoover (parents Henry and Susannah) in 1860. I have also discovered they had a daughter Ellen Ireland in 1861. In the 1861 census Alfred is living near the Hoovers, the child aged 1 is living with them and Alfred is listed as widow so his wife must have died after childbirth. By 1865, Alfred Ireland has changed his age and married Mary Jane Love - my great grandmother. There is an incredible story (as with many of these old pioneering families) and I found on the Love website transcriptions of letters about Alfred and Mary. They went to Manitoulin in about 1874 for Alfred to work on the Henry mill at Kagawong. In 1876 Alfred died and in 1879 four of their five children died. I have, as yet, found no death registrations for them. Mary Jane Ireland (widow) and son William Henry Hudson Ireland (13) are still living in Manitoulin in the 1881 census. By 1891 Mary Jane is living in Elmvale, Simcoe with twin daughters Ida May Ireland and Grace Ireland born 1886. No birth registrations have been found but Ida May was my grandmother. William Henry Ireland stayed in Manitoulin and there are living descendants still there. Any help from your files would be greatly appreciated whenever you get the time. No rush of course. As with all of this ancestry research it will wait .... Take care. Dee

Offline diggerSue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 09 August 14 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone. I stumbled upon this chat late this afternoon with great delight. We all seem to be from the same strain of Irelands. My brother has done extensive research leading back to Samuel Ireland emigrating to Canada. A lot of the family are buried in the Mount Laurel Cemetary in Bolton, Ontario. As soon as I find my info, I will share. Miss Misha, I also live in the ottawa area and am related to Moses Ireland as well. Small world!

Offline JeanH

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • We are all products of our past
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 10 August 14 11:41 BST (UK) »
The Ireland line are my  husband Roy Herbert's ancestors.  So far the earliest I have is James Ireland born abt 1771 West Hesterton Yorkshire.  I will willingly share my information with members of this extended family.  If anyone is interested, could you please send  me a private message with details of where to send this file.  I posted a message some time ago on this site if anyone gets confused.  Regards Jean Herbert
Yorkshire - Herbert - Phelps - Brain - Baxter - Crowther - Gillen - Rhodes - Ambler - Norton - Robinson - Gloucestershire - Herbert - Phelps - Brain
Suffolk - Clarke

Offline diggerSue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 11 August 14 19:40 BST (UK) »
Alfred Ireland is in my line. He was born 5 Sep 1859 in King Township, Died 03 Sep 1920 in Bolton, Ontario. He is the son of Samuel Ireland and Caroline Hill. Alfred Ireland married Frances Jane Clubine( born 03 Nov 1868 King township died 25 May 1933 Toronto) (daughter of William Henry Clubine & Lucy Brown) on 13 Dec 1888 Hope this helps anyone :)