Author Topic: Israel Lynn Dorking/Reigate Non Conformist 18th Century  (Read 6522 times)

Offline ATGoldsmith

• RootsChat Member
  • Researching since 2012
    • View Profile
Israel Lynn Dorking/Reigate Non Conformist 18th Century
« on: Tuesday 13 May 14 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for further information on my 6x and 8x great grandfathers who were both called Israel Lynn and were non conformist.  Here is the information I've gathered so far:

Israel Lynn (my 6x great grandfather)
Bapt. 23 Feb 1733, Dorking
Marr. 26 Jul 1764, Dorking to Jane Penny
Bur. 10 May 1801, Dorking
Occ. Limemaker
Parents: John Lynn (1690-1767) and Eleanor Young

Israel Lynn (my 8x great grandfather)
Bur. 21 Jan 1718, Reigate

I was wondering whether they were Jewish, because of their names, but I don't know how you could tell.  Maybe if someone could find their headstones there may be a Star of David (if my guess is correct).  I was also hoping that there are people researching Surrey Non-Conformists could give me some websites (as I am not from the area!)

Thanks!

ATG
British student studying in Poland who loves travelling!

Asbury, Berwick, Birkenhead, Boswell, Campbell, Catlin, C(h)rimes, Clarke, Coles, Crawford, Crowfoot, Denton, Downie, Durrant, Dutton, Eaton, Fairbrother, Goldsmith, Gower, Hawkes, Hepburn, Hulatt, Humstone, Ivory, Kent, Lynn, Lyon, Mahon, Mander, McCann, McGowan, McGregor, McKean, McLeod, McMahon, Meechan, Moses, Nelson, Pelling, Pemberton, Pickstone, Sconce, Stokes, Summerfield, Swannell, Terry, Thorowgood, Tierney, Varney, Webdale.

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Israel Lynn Dorking/Reigate Non Conformist 18th Century
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 09:21 BST (UK) »
hi
israels bpt was at the independent chapel west st dorking surrey also his father john is buried in the meeting house yard of the same church according to non com records I,ve found , so I doubt very much that the family were jewish as were looking at very different faiths I feel , a lot of folk were bpt with biblical names back then .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline lulubird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 09:59 BST (UK) »
Your family were congregationalists,if they used that chapel.  The original church was rebuilt in 1834 and is now the Dorking United Reformed Church,West Street, and still active.  The Congregationalists joined up with the Presbyterians to form the United Reformed Church about 40 years ago,I believe. Congregationalists broke off from the established church in the 17th century.  I'll leave you to Google!

Hope this helps a bit.

Offline ATGoldsmith

• RootsChat Member
  • Researching since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 10:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this information guys, now I know where they are buried!

ATG

Asbury, Berwick, Birkenhead, Boswell, Campbell, Catlin, C(h)rimes, Clarke, Coles, Crawford, Crowfoot, Denton, Downie, Durrant, Dutton, Eaton, Fairbrother, Goldsmith, Gower, Hawkes, Hepburn, Hulatt, Humstone, Ivory, Kent, Lynn, Lyon, Mahon, Mander, McCann, McGowan, McGregor, McKean, McLeod, McMahon, Meechan, Moses, Nelson, Pelling, Pemberton, Pickstone, Sconce, Stokes, Summerfield, Swannell, Terry, Thorowgood, Tierney, Varney, Webdale.

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 14:23 BST (UK) »
The burial yard doesn't appear to exist any more.  I know because I looked for it on a visit to Dorking!  When I asked in Dorking Museum about it nobody seemed to know.  Possibly swallowed up as the town expanded  :-\

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline Tonykelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 17:35 BST (UK) »
The Monumental Inscriptions for Dorking, West Street Non conformist chapel were recorded by Alfred Bax in July 1884. Volunteers from West Surrey Family History Society are currently digitising Bax's notebooks held by Surrey Archaeological Society.  Dorking Nonconformist chapel isn't yet indexed but I have had a quick look through the e-book.

Bax noted two stones for the family Lynn: the first was for a "Joseph Lynn", with no other inscription noted; for the other the only item readable is the surname "Lynn".  Bax notes that the stone was "very much covered in green"

There is more information about the West Surrey  Monumental Inscription Library on our web site at
wsfhs.org

We will be making the index to our MI Library available on-line to WSFHS members later this year.

-- 
Tony Kelly, 
West Surrey Family History Society
Monumental Inscriptions

Find us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MISurrey

Follow us on Twitter @MISurrey

Offline ATGoldsmith

• RootsChat Member
  • Researching since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 23:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jane, That's annoying as I was thinking of visiting it!

Thanks Tony, I have liked you on Facebook and will keep an eye on the work that's going on.  I am much in favour of projects like that!

ATG

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 May 14 08:13 BST (UK) »
That's interesting Tony, thank you for posting & welcome to RootsChat by-the-way  :)

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline davidtreb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 November 14 16:09 GMT (UK) »
My wife (nee Sheelagh Miles) is also descended from the two Israel Lynns.
You may perhaps be interested to know that this family at one time owned the 'Red Cross' in Reigate, once a 'hospital' for pilgrims, and now a pub. According to the National Archives' Access to Archives website, this information is contained in documents held at the Surrey Family History Centre, which mention the first Israel and his son and grandson John.
Regards,
David.