Author Topic: Ada Bedford .American federal census lookup, please  (Read 3164 times)

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ada Bedford .American federal census lookup, please
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 August 09 16:34 BST (UK) »
What's on the marriage record would vary by state.  I'm not aware of any comprehensive site with Massachusetts marriage certificates from that time frame, so you would likely need to order the certificate.  Information on ordering from Massachusetts archives here:  http://www.sec.state.ma.us/arc/arcres/residx.htm

Offline hobbyhorse

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 August 09 20:28 BST (UK) »
 Thankyou for the weblink. I will see if I can order the marriage certificate.
I would also like to get the marriage certificate of her cousin, the boarding house keeper. The surname changes, from Liveridge to Leversedge. Not sure which one is correct?
kind regards
Hobbyhorse

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 August 09 20:50 BST (UK) »
Here are snippets from the passenger list and the 1900 census so you can make your own guess about the surname of Ada’s cousin.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 August 09 21:02 BST (UK) »
And here are the same people in 1910 and 1920.  Liversedge?  It can't be a very common name.  Can you find John in England in 1881?
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline hobbyhorse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 20 August 09 22:57 BST (UK) »
Dear Erato
Thanks for the images of the surname. It's hard to read what the name is, as it could be Liveridge or Liversidge. I have looked and there are people in England which all these names. Ada states that her cousin is mrs Liveridge, so I am assuming that she is from Manchester, Northwich or Liverpool and her maiden name is Leather or Foster, as a cousin of Ada.
John married Sarah in I am assuming Massachusetts, so he could have come anywhere in England. I will contact the weblink, that you kindly gave me and hopefully they may have a certificate.
kind regards
Hobbyhorse

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 August 09 23:29 BST (UK) »
The Lawrence city directories have John with a few different spellings of his last name - 1888 has Liversage, 1894 & 1898-1900 has Liversedge, and thereafter it seems to be Liversidge.

There's a marriage for a John Liversidge in Lawrence from 1894 on the index I mentioned above.  The only Sarah on the same page has the surname Edgerton.

I found a tree on Ancestry that I think might have your Leather connection - it lists Sarah Egerton born Northwich, England, married to John Liversidge, and died 1928 in Lawrence, Mass.   Her parents are listed as Charles Egerton & Elizabeth Leather.  Elizabeth was born 1842 in Hertsford, Chesire and died 25 Dec. 1937 in Northwich Chesire.

Offline hobbyhorse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 21 August 09 09:20 BST (UK) »
 Hello Shellyesq
Thankyou for the information. The marriage of John Liversidge and Sarah Egerton is a brilliant find and is the correct connection. Ada's cousin is an Egerton..... I assumed that it would be Leather of Foster, but in the 1901 census Ada is staying with Charles and Elizabeth Egerton, in Northwich. She is markes, as niece. Elizabeth Egerton is Ada's aunt. I will now look on previous census documents for a Sarah Egerton. Thankyou ever so much, this has proved the correct family connection.
I will also look at the family tree on Ancestry.
Thanks again, for taking the trouble to look.
kind regards

Offline Salford Lad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 13 October 14 18:35 BST (UK) »
HI All, My Great Aunt was Ada Bedford, her maiden name was Leather, she was half sister to my Granddad James Leather and daughter of my Great Granddad Joseph Leather and his 2nd wife Mary Ann Foster, so wonderful to read about her on these posts, My Gt Granddad Hung himself and Ada went to live with her Aunt and uncle in Northwich, whilst the two youngest children, John and Elizabeth were sent to Swinton industrial school. Will be able to really expand my Fam.ily Tree

Offline Salford Lad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 10:26 BST (UK) »
Ada Leather was my Great Aunt, sister to my Granddad Leather, Ada went to live with her Aunt and Uncle in Northwich in 1901, their last name was Egerton, ada married Fred Ball Bedford in Methuen Massachusetts, her Father Joseph Leather, my Great Granddad had hung himself in 1898.