Author Topic: Rennie-Mathie family, business & marital connections  (Read 12257 times)

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
  • gg-grandfather, founder of Comfort, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Rennie-Mathie family, business & marital connections
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 January 14 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.  I was hoping the notice would provide age, birthplace, or parents. No such luck.  :(
Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie

Offline retiredfrommath

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 January 14 18:51 GMT (UK) »
The death related records do say he died at age 58 but the 8 is a little ambiguous.

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 January 14 23:35 GMT (UK) »
I do have quite a bit of information on the Robert Rennie, D.D. who was minister in Kilsyth.  He was the author of a book on the natural history of peat moss.  His youngest son, James Mathie Rennie, died young.

1. Rev. Dr. Robert Rennie , D.D. (b.11 May 1762-Ballmolloch,Kilsyth,Stirlingshire,Scotland;d.10 Jul 1820)
   sp: Isabella Auchincloss (b.16 May 1764-Glasgow,Lanarkshire,Scotland;m.30 Dec 1802;d.23 May 1837-Dunfermline,Fife,Scotland)
2. James Mathie Rennie (b.17 Jul 1803;d.10 Mar 1806)
2. Barbara Black Stirling Rennie (b.23 Jul 1806)
   sp: Thomas Alexander
   sp: Barbara Black Stirling (b.8 May 1777;m.22 Oct 1793;d.23 Jul 1800)
2. John Stirling Rennie (b.29 Jul 1794;d.13 Nov 1794)
2. Margaret Rennie (b.14 Feb 1796;d.23 Jul 1849)
2. Dr. Alexander Home Stirling Rennie , M.D. (b.6 Jun 1797;d.10 Feb 1838)
   sp: Mary Helen Anderson (m.1829)
2. Gloriana Rennie (b.12 Nov 1798;d.30 Nov 1798)
2. Jane Maria Stirling Rennie (b.3 Nov 1799;d.1885-Glorat)
Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie

Offline retiredfrommath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 January 14 01:38 GMT (UK) »
I had a researcher I used to use look into Robert Rennie and I think the material I have is below
-------------
RENNIE CONNECTION

In my last report, I noted that Rev. Robert Rennie of Kilsyth was the Minister who married George Wright and Jean Craig. The brief was to find the family connection to Robert Rennie.
I started by looked at Rev. Robert Rennie’s will. He died on 10th July 1820 and his will (Ref SC36/51/1, Folio 265) names, as his executors, his wife Isabella, Sir Samuel Stirling of Glorat, Baronet, David Mathie, Writer, Glasgow, Captain George Stirling of the 9th Regt of Foot, John Corbet of Auchincloch, Andrew Peebles Merchant in Dunfermline, Alexander Rennie, his brother, Alexander Marshall of the Colony of Demerara, Doctor of Medicine and Henry Marshall, cousin, presently in the Military service in the Island of Ceylon.
In the will, he has the usual clause to pay his debts and leaves the rest to his wife Isabella. On her death it is to be divided amongst his children. His son, Alexander Horne Stirling Rennie, a Merchant, is mentioned, as is Roberts’ first wife Barbara B. Stirling.
Next, I looked at the Fastii Eccleasia Scoticanae which is a series of volumes of short biographies of all the Church of Scotland Ministers. Vol 3 for the Synod of Glasgow and Ayr, Page 479 – Kilsyth – has the following:-

Robert Rennie, born 1767, son of John R., Farmer in the parish; educated at Univ. of Glasgow; MA (1781); licen by Presb of Paisley 26th Sept 1787; pres. by George III 4th July (scored out and replaced by 13th June) and ord. 3rd Sept 1789; D.D. (Aberdeen 1808); died 10th July 1820. He took much interest in the study of peat moss and its conversion into arable land and manure. He declined the Professorship of Agriculture in the Univ. of St Petersburg, offered him by Czar Alexander 1, who presented him with a massive gold ring and other gifts. He married 1) 22nd Oct 1793 Barbara Black (born 8th May 1777 died 12th July 1800) fourth daugh. of Sir John Stirling of Glorat Bart. and had issue - John Stirling born 29th July and died 13th Nov 1794, Margaret born 14th Feb 1796 died 23rd July 1849,Alexander Horn Stirling M.D. Alresford Hants, born 6th June 1797 died 10th Feb 1838, Gloriana born 12th died 30th Nov 1798, Jane Maria Stirling born 3rd Nov 1798, died at Glorat 1885. 2) 30th Dec 1802 Isabella Auchincloss or Mathie who died 22nd April 1837 and had issue James Mathie born 17th July 1803 died 10th March 1806, Barbara Black Stirling born 23rd July 1806 (marr Thomas Alexander, manufacturer, Dunfermline). (List of publications).

continued in next post

Offline retiredfrommath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 20 January 14 01:41 GMT (UK) »
University of Glasgow matriculation 1801
6255 GEORGIUS STIRLING filius natu quintus Joannis de Glarat Equitis Baronetti in com: de Stirling
   Born 22nd February, 1786.  Captain in the 9th Regiment.  Died at Portobello, 21st February, 1852.  Brother of
   6199, 6596; brother-in-law of 2354, 3667 [Robert Rennie]; uncle of 7152 [John Stirling Lapslie], 8041 
   [Alexander Home S. Rennie], 8661 [James Lapslie], 10129 [Andrew Lapslie], 10281 [Campbell A. G. Stirling],

Going back to the children of George Wright and Jean Craig, the Mathie name occurs several times, both as middle names for the children and as the names of some of the witnesses. We now know that Rev. Robert Rennie’s second wife was Isabella Auchincloss or Mathie and so I assumed that the connection was to do with the Mathie family.
I found that James Mathie was married to Isabella (or Isobel) Auchincloss and they had several children, the first in 1784 and the last in 1792. This, I believe is the Isabella who later married Robert Rennie in 1802.
Next, I looked for the connection to George Wright and Jean Craig. We know that Jean’s father was William Craig and I found there was a Jean Craig, daughter of William Craig and Margaret Mathie (their fourth child) who was born on Barony and baptised on 10th August 1787 (Ref 622/3, Frame 708). From these dates my assumption is that Margaret Mathie, Jean Craig’s mother, was the sister of the James Mathie who married Isabella Auchincloss. So that would mean that Isabella (later Rennie) was Jean Craig’s aunt.

The last thing I did was to look at the family of Robert Rennie in Kilsyth to see if any of the OPR entries for the family listed witnesses.
His first marriage, to Barbara Black Stirling took place in 1793:-

OPR for Kilsyth, Ref 483/5, Frame 1273
1793. 10 October. The Revd Mr Robert Rennie Minister of the Gospel of the Parish of Kilsyth and Miss Barbara Black Stirling fourth lawful daughter to Sir John Stirling of Glorat, Baronet in Campsie Parish gave up their names for proclamation in order to marriage. They were married 22 October.

The births of their children were noted as follows:-

OPR for Kilsyth, Ref 483/5, Frame 1231
1794. Renny. The Rev Mr Robert Renny Minister of the Gospel of the Parish of Kilsyth and Barbara Black Stirling his wife had a Son named John Stirling Renny born 5th Augt Bapt 15th sd. Month. Witnesses Alexr Brash & Matthew Shaw Elders.

OPR for Kilsyth, Ref 483/6, Frame 1293
1796. Baptised 28 March. Parents – The Rev Mr Rennie & Barbara Black Stirling. Children – Margaret. Abode – Manse. Witnesses – Revd Mr Dun & Mr McLean.

OPR for Kilsyth, Ref 483/6, Frame 1296
1797. Baptised June 13. Parents - The Red Mr Rennie & Barbara Black Stirling. Children – Alexr Home Stirling & Gloriana (twins). Abode – Manse. Witnesses – blank.

OPR for Kilsyth, Ref 483/6, Frame 1302
1799. 15 Novr. The Revd Mr Rennie and Barbara Black Stirling had a daughter born the 3rd of Novr and baptised the 13th of same month 1799 named Jane Maria. Witnesses Alexr Rennie & John Miller.

Robert then married Isabella Auchincloss in 1802:-

OPR for Glasgow, Ref 644/27, Frame 3052
29th August 1802. Mr Robert Rennie, Minister of Kilsyth & Isobel Auchincloss, Residenter in Glasgow, Married 30th August by Mr Jonathan Rankin one of the Ministers of Paisley.

They had two children:-

OPR for Kilsyth, Ref 483/6, Frame 1319
13th Augt 1803. The Revd Mr Robt Rennie and Isabella Auchincloss had a son born 17th July and baptized 14th August 1803 named James Mathie.

OPR for Kilsyth, Ref 483/6, Frame 1335.
16th Aug 1806. The Revd Mr Robt. Rennie Minister and Isabella Auchincloss had a daughter born the 24th July & baptised 17 Augt 1806 named Barbara B Stirling.

CRAIG RELATIVES

George Wright married Jean Craig

Jean Craig is the daughter of William Craig and Margaret Mathie (their fourth child) who was born on Barony and baptised on 10th August 1787 (Ref 622/3, Frame 708).

Margaret Mathie is assumed to be the sister of James Mathie.

James Mathie was married to Isabella (or Isobel) Auchincloss and they had several children, the first in 1784 and the last in 1792. This, I believe is the Isabella who later married Robert Rennie in 1802.

MATHIE RELATIVES
"I found that James Mathie was married to Isabella (or Isobel) Auchincloss and they had several children, the first in 1784 and the last in 1792. This, I believe is the Isabella who later married Robert Rennie in 1802."

Offline retiredfrommath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 20 January 14 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Robert Rennie married
   1) Barbara Black (4th daughter ofJohn Stirling b. 29th July, d.d 13th Nov       1794,
   2) Isabella Auchincloss or Mathie who died 22nd April 1837

Robert Rennie's children by Barbara Black
   Margaret Rennie born 14th Feb 1796 died 23rd July 1849,
   Alexander Horn Stirling Rennie M.D. Alresford Hants, born 6th June 1797
      died 10th Feb 1838, (England)
   Gloriana Rennie (twin to Alexander)
      born 12th died 30th Nov 1798, Jane Maria Stirling born 3rd Nov    
      1798, died at Glorat 1885. 2) 30th Dec 1802
Robert Rennie's children by Isabella Auchincloss or Mathie
   James Mathie Rennie born 17th July 1803 died 10th March 1806,
   Barbara Black Stirling Rennie born 23rd July 1806 (marr Thomas Alexander,
      manufacturer, Dunfermline.

April 30, 1816 Edinburgh Advertiser
“              DEATHS
   At Glasgow, WILLIAM CADELL, second
son of Mr. Benjamin Mathie, Writer.

<<IGI actual record says the birth occurred 30 Aug 1800
and the mother is Christina Cadell
A submitted record lists a sister Margaret bapt. 1799 >>

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 20 January 14 19:19 GMT (UK) »
The James Mathie who married Isabella Auchincloss was in 1787 faculty of the Procurators in Glasgow and from 1790 to 1795 was Clerk of the Trades House in Glasgow.  Upon the death of James in 1795, his brother, Benjamin Mathie, became Clerk of the Trades House in Glasgow and remained so until 1831.  Benjamin was also part owner of the Glasgow Herald and author of "View of the History, Constitution, and Funds, of the Trades' House of Glasgow".  Their father was David Mathie who was Preses of the Grand Antiquity Society of Glasgow. 

Statistical Tables Relative to the City of Glasgow, with Other Matters Therewith Connected - 1825
Deputation from the Merchants’ House.
William Smith, Esquire, Dean of Guild,
James Ewing. Esq. Robert Findlay, Esq.
Kirkman Finlay, Esq. Charles Stirling, Esq.
Deputation from the Trades‘ House.
James Hunter, Esquire, Convener.
Robert Hood, Esq. Laurence Phillips, Esq.
Benjamin Mathie, Esq. legal adviser.

Offline retiredfrommath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 20 January 14 20:23 GMT (UK) »
The only position David Rennie held in Glasgow I know of was found in the biography of another man for an 1818 role: "The Association of Underwriters was then formally arranged - Robert Douglas Alston being the first chairman, James Browne, David Lillie, and David Rennie being directors, and William Forrest secretary and treasurer."  My imperfect understanding is that Lloyds of London was discriminating against non-English ships and in 1817 David Rennie started implementation of a plan to develop his Prince Edward Island property and probably planned to go into the ship building business there.  He bought a ship independent of those owned by Stuart and Rennie and started settling people on his land on Prince Edward Island and one of the settlers sent on his ship the first year was the same Robert Orr I referred to earlier that ended up going into the ship building business.  Newfoundland had boomed during the Napoleonic Wars and crashed when it ended.  However these developments might be independent of his role in underwriting and some of the merchants he was associated with in Stuart and Rennie solved the problem by developing a South American market.
I should note that I should have the Glasgow University matriculation records for all the Rennies who went there(yours and mine) and maybe  1/3 of the whole list if I remember correctly.  They are all in Latin and specify the father of the student and other reasonably close relatives who matriculated there and give some bio details in many cases.
3667 ROBERTUS RENNIE natus in comitatu de Stirling filius natu minimus Joannis agricolae apud Kilsyth
   M.A. Glasg. 1781.  D.D. Aberdeen, 1808.  Minister of Kilsyth, 1789-1820, aged 53.  Brother-in-law of 6199, 6255 [George Stirling], 6596, having married their sister; father of 8041 [Alexander Home S. Rennie].
NOTE That when I give the name it means I either have a copy of the page that person is on or have some other way of inferring the name and when I don't give the name I probably don't have that page from the book they are in.  The minimus above means he was the youngest son.

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 20 January 14 21:20 GMT (UK) »
The father of Isabella Auchincloss was Trade Counselor of Glasgow.  So this group of people were leaders of the trade and merchant societies of Glasgow.

Born: Abt 1722
Office: 1781/1782 Glasgow, Deacon Convener of the Guild of Coopers
Residence:  1787 North side Trongate, G, L, Scotland
Office:  1787 Glasgow, Member of the General Session of the Directors and Managers of the Town's Hospital

Buried