Author Topic: jane scott  (Read 5685 times)

Offline gerry65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
jane scott
« on: Sunday 02 September 12 19:13 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on a lady called Jane Townsend Thomson Scott, married name possibly Affleck. She was my great-aunt, but was unknown in the family. She was born in Renfrew on 16/10/1910, parents Peter Scott and Elizabeth Cumming, who both died in their forties, in 1913 and 1914 resp. She had a brother David and a sister Jessie.
I found a death entry on Scottish people in  Clackmannen for a Jane Townsend T Scott, death 2005 aged 94, which would tie in. Can any one shed some light on this for me.?

Regards Gerry
scott, cumming, jamieson, bertram, Mc Donald(from Antrim), sharp, miller, brodie, duffy, thomson, McRae, johnston, forbes, glen

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: jane scott
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 September 12 18:50 BST (UK) »
If the death is hers - under scott then presumably she didn't marry..

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline gerry65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 10:16 BST (UK) »
On her short death record maiden name is Scott with Affleck down as another surname.

Gerry
scott, cumming, jamieson, bertram, Mc Donald(from Antrim), sharp, miller, brodie, duffy, thomson, McRae, johnston, forbes, glen

Offline kirkmichael

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 17:29 BST (UK) »
From 1974 onwards the Scottish death register index includes the maiden surname of the mother, and it is possible to carry out a crosscheck search based on the inclusion the maiden surname of the mother; see www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.

In this case, such a search produces the match -

2005   SCOTT Jane Townsend T[homson??]   CUMMING    AFFLECK   F   94   CLACKMANNANSHIRE   /CLACKMANNANSHIRE   460/00 0077   

..CUMMING being the entry in the field for the mother's maiden surname;

..and AFFLECK being the entry in the field for other surnames, most often
    the married surname.

QED, I'd suggest !

Just imagine the info that this 94 year old could have provided had you been able to contact her before her death !

David

Offline gerry65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 18:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that information it looks like she is my great-aunt as her mother,s name was Cumming. She was only 4 in 1914 when she lost both parents. My mother or her brother never knew much about their Aunt and had very sketchy details of her life.  Is there any way I can find out if she had any family?

Many thanks again
Gerry

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 September 12 07:42 BST (UK) »
I removed and PM'd Gerry

Poss living rellies

Yours Aye
BruceL