Author Topic: William PURSER and Mary CURTIS  (Read 1872 times)

Online Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
William PURSER and Mary CURTIS
« on: Tuesday 26 August 14 12:15 BST (UK) »
My ancestor George Purser was baptised in Brampton Hunts on 28 October 1800.  He was the child of William Purser, a butcher, by his second marriage to Mary Cole.

Father William was buried in Brampton on 12 September 1830 aged 77, giving a birth date of about 1753.  He was not baptised in Brampton although both his marriages took place there - the first on 11 October 1781 to Elizabeth Perkins and the second on 9 July 1799 to Mary Cole.

There is a baptism in Great Gransden for a William Purser on 6 May 1753 the son of William Purser and Mary.  There are also the following likely siblings.
Mary bap 25 December 1748
Edy bap 7 January1750
Esther bap 18 Janusray 1756
Charles bap 27 August 1758
Rebecca bap 12 April 1761

The Great Gransden register shows the marriage of William to Mary Curtis on 8 February 1747 

In order to see whether I might have identified the correct baptism for my William Purser I want to find out more about the family of William Purser and Mary Curtis.

There is a burial in Brampton for a William Purser, a pauper, on 14 December 1776 who could possibly be the father of William born c1753.  However there is also a burial in Great Gransden on 10 June 1786 of a Mary Purser wife of William Purser but I do not have a burial for William in that parish.

Can anyone help me please to find marriages and/or burials for the other children of William Purser and Mary Curtis?  They are not in the Brampton registers.  These may help me identify if/when the family moved away from Great Gransden and where else I might need to search. I am aware that there are a number of Purser families in neighbouring Bedfordshire.

The information I have comes from extracts from the parish registers of Brampton and Great Gransden obtained for me by a researcher some years ago and I am now trying to push the line back.

I hope this isn't too confusing!  Grateful for any help/suggestions.

Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk