Author Topic: Mary Anderson nee Gordon, b. 1682, d. (probably) Inverugie 1725  (Read 7037 times)

Offline janetrizvi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mary Anderson nee Gordon, b. 1682, d. (probably) Inverugie 1725
« on: Tuesday 04 June 13 08:40 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me with the ancestry of this lady, who is my 5-great grandmother? Her husband was the second of a whole phalanx of Alexander Andersons, belonging to the same family which lived & worked at English Mill, Inverugie, Peterhead from about 1600 to 1857. They are documented extensively in a family tree last updated & privately published in 1936.
I've got some info about Mary Gordon's ancestry from a number of online family trees, but they're not all consistent with each other. According to these, she was a daughter of Robert Gordon (1658--96) of Buthlaw, Longside, son of James Gordon (b. c. 1620), 1st laird of Buthlaw, son of Thomas Gordon (b. c. 1590), son of James Gordon (1560--92), of Birkenburn. The co-ordinates of Birkenburn are given as Dunbennan, Kinnoir, which I understand are the names of two parishes that were later amalgamated as Huntly; Birkenburn may be nearer Keith than Huntly. James Gordon's father may have been Alexander Gordon (1516--71); & Alexander's father James Gordon (1495--1553) of Lesmoir, Rhynie. This James Gordon seems to have been son of yet another James Gordon (1470--1558) first of Lesmoir, son of George Gordon (1430--81) of Tillytarmont.
(The senior Lesmoir branch, by the way, attracted a Nova Scotia baronetcy in 1625, & became extinct in 1839.)
My problem is that all the online family trees from which most of this info is taken, rely on each other for authority, so are suspect unless corroborated by documents or records & I can't (online) find any ref. to any such. So if anyone has researched the Gordons of Buthlaw, Birkenburn or Lesmoir on the ground, I'd love to hear from them.

OK, since posting the above, I've found & been able to download Rev. Wm. Temple's Thanage of Fermartyn (publ. Aberdeen 1894) in which the author has researched, from both old documents & family traditions, the major families of the Formartine district, including Gordons of Lesmoir & Gordons of Buthlaw.
The Lesmoir lineage goes like this: John Gordon of Essie---William Gordon 1st of Tillytarmont---George Gordon 2nd of Tillytarmont---James Gordon 1st of Lesmoir (d. between 1556 & 1559)---George Gordon 2nd of Lesmoir (d. 1600)---Alexander Gordon 3rd of Lesmoir (d. 1609)---James Gordon 4th of Lesmoir, 1st Baronet (d. 1641)---[a son,  grandson & great-grandson, all called James Gordon, the first 2 of whom predeceased the Baronet, so the last of whom became the 2nd bart., dying without issue so that the baronetcy reverted to his great-grand-uncle, brother of James 1st bart.] William Gordon 3rd bart. (d. 1672)---William Gordon 4th bart.
This last-mentioned, the 4th bart., had a brother Alexander James, who was said by tradition in the Buthlaw family to have married his cousin Anna Gordon of Buthlaw. Another document avers that the Buthlaw Gordons are descended from Thomas Gordon of Seggieden, 8th son of James Gordon 1st of Lesmoir by his second wife, Margaret Ogilvy. These 2 statements are perfectly compatible with each other, since Anna cd. have been descended from Thomas. Alexander James Gordon & his wife Anna had 2 sons, the elder of whom died without issue leaving the property to the younger, Thomas Gordon, who died about 1694. He looks like the most likely candidate to be Mary Gordon's father. There is no mention of any Robert Gordon of Buthlaw as given in the family trees.
It looks as though the family tree info given at the start of this post is garbled; I think probably a lot of confusion has arisen due to the number of characters with the same name, whether James or Alexander; & it wd. be nice if someone cd. sort it out for me, & if it cd. be confirmed whether Mary Gordon belonged to the Buthlaw family or not---since my only ref. for that is those dodgy trees.

Offline smudge.g

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Anderson nee Gordon, b. 1682, d. (probably) Inverugie 1725
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 July 13 02:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have been investigating the Gordon's of Birkenburn (Lairds 1st to 9th) that you refer to and originate from the 1st Laird of Lesmoir. I currently live at Birkenburn (assuming that it hasnt moved in last 400 years!) but have the same issue as yourself with Gordons having the same name. Would love to find out more about the Gordon manor that supposedly was situated close to our house but nothing found yet! have fun with your searches. regards

Offline smudge.g

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 August 13 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
further to my last post, i have found an online document "The house of Gordon" by John malcolm Bulloch. Its a very large document (30Mb) that contains much of the Gordon history and also covers the Gordons of Birkenburn but detail isnt great!
regards
Gary

Offline janetrizvi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 August 13 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hullo Gary,
Sorry I never replied to your earlier message, I've been ill.
Thanks for the hint about House of Gordon. I downloaded it, & am glad to have it, though not sure how much light it throws on my quest for Mary Gordon's ancestry.
Birkenburn! I just love that name, & I hope the environs of your home are congruent with the vision it conjures up.
Sincerely,
Janet

Offline Pozzo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Just to make contact for now. Mary Gordon was also my 5x great grandmother and, like you, I have been frustrated by the Ancestry trees that all seem to quote each other and don't look reliable. I can't yet find any proof she was of the Buthlaw family but it does seem very likely - if indeed she was the Mary Gordon in Longside parish who married an Alexander Anderson from Peterhead parish on 2 December 1707. I'm on the case, following up various ideas, and will post again when I have something. How are you descended from her? I have a huge family tree of Anderson descendants and try to keep updating it.
Hew Stevenson
Suffolk, England.

Offline smudge.g

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 December 13 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Good morning Hew and Happy Christmas,
Having moved to our present address a couple of years ago, I have since found that the farm here sits on the remains of a Gordon family ancestral manor that stood from 1500 to 1800, but little or nothing remains. The lady in question was, I believe, one of or related to one of the Lairds of Birkenburn (spanning 1st in 1537 to 9th in 1800). No family connection at all to my family but I am very interested in the local history. regards and have a happy new year. Gary

Offline Pozzo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 December 13 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gary
How nice to hear from someone living in the Gordon country - especially for someone many miles away, like me in Suffolk. Thanks for making contact. I'll look out for Birkenburn in my searches for Gordons.
All the best for 2014.
Hew

Offline cliffhuber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 16:55 BST (UK) »
A fine day to all!

Mary Gordon, 1682-1725 (m to Alexander Anderson 1676-1754) is my 6th g gmother. My Anderson line from Peterhead went to Sutherland - with the son of William Anderson and Margaret Squire of Brora, James William Anderson, surgeon, emigrating to Pictou, NS in 1832. James William Anderson, 1772-1868, and his 2nd wife, Margaret Gordon, 1803-1829 of Golspie, are my 3rd g grandparents.
Margaret Gordon's ancestors were connected to the Gordons of Dunrobin, Sutherland. Her father was Rev. George Gordon of Lairg. They are part of the Gordons of Huntly, from which a branch went to Sutherland in the 1500s.
One ancestral line from that bunch is Alexander Gordon, 1552-1594, and Lady Jean Gordon. 1546-1629.... my 11th great grandparents.  They were related to each other via the Gordons of Huntly who were actually Setons that acclaimed the name Gordon to retain inheritances.

Offline Pozzo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 August 15 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Cliffhuber
That's very interesting but can you give some more detail? There was a James Anderson, son of William Anderson and Margaret Squire, Brora, baptised at Clyne, Sutherland, on 19 Nov 1785 so I don't see how James William Anderson born 1772 could be a child of the same couple. The James (bap 1785) is shown in "Records of a Family of Andersons of Peterhead" (privately printed 1936) as having "gone to sea". If that's correct, he's unlikely to be the same man as James William the surgeon.
Hew