Author Topic: Alexander Laurie/Lawrie, King Edward parish  (Read 5739 times)

Offline MairiD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Laurie/Lawrie, King Edward parish
« on: Friday 25 October 13 23:23 BST (UK) »
    Who was the wife of Alexander Laurie 'of Tillymauld' I wonder.  Her name is the missing jigsaw piece in the family tree I have traced in fair detail to date.

The death certificates of Margaret Laurie b. 1784 (m. G. Robertson), Elspeth b. 1785 (m. J. Hepburn) and James b.c. 1789 (m. M.Ruddiman) all in Monquhitter, state she was Mary Legg/Leggat.
Looking at Monquhitter records I found an Isabel b. 1776 and an Elizabeth b. 1779 also born to an Alexander Laurie.  Another record indicated a Helen (m. J.Walls) as a daughter of Alexander too.
So far so good.  Six children born to Alexander L. in the same parish, in a pattern of years.

If this Alexander was the eldest son of John Laurie of Gamrie and MacDuff  (who later moved to Tillymauld, Monquhitter by way of Tillybo and Overbrae) and Margaret Bannerman, then he was born in 1751 in Draught of Fortrie.
The Mary Legg was probably the one born 1749 at Bruntyards as it was nearby.

However this would mean they were a very young couple.  There is no marriage record.

OPRs do record an Alexander Laurie married a Jane Harper 'both in this parish' (Monquhitter) in 1775.
The Jane would appear to be the daughter, born in 1749 (!) of Torriel Harper and Isobell Legg of King Edward parish.
A witness at the baptism of Isabel (1776) was Isobell Legg of Blackhills. (A 'Backhills' is next to Bruntyards)  Confused?  So am I.

They too would have been a very young couple.

Needless to say I have been back and forth from Banffshire to Aberdeenshire records. The places are close or fairly close but the county boundaries were changed.  The possibilities of spouses is limited as there were few Alexander Lauries/Lawries, Leggs and Harpers.

I have the MI booklet the MI booklet for King Edward parish but not that for Monquhitter as it has not yet been published. I understand there is more recording to be done.

All pointers/thoughts most welcome.
MairiD
Fife;  Annan,  Annal,  Robertson, Laing, Coutts.
E. Lothian; Ness.
W. Lothian; Cuthbertson.
Argyll; Walker, Campbell.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Laurie/Lawrie, King Edward parish
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 October 13 09:12 BST (UK) »
One problem with King Edward is that the registers in the 18th century are not always very full. Many baptisms are not recorded and there are times when there are no marriages recorded.

James Godsman's book on the parish (which always needs checking  as he makes many errors)  says this in his section on Nether Tillymauld:

Before 1770 the tenant is John Hepburn and Jane Sangster. We have no record of the parentage of John Hepburn. They had sons, John b. 1782, Andrew b. 1783, whose wife was Christian Milne, James b. 1785, and a daughter Christian b. 1780. In 1799, the eldest son John assumed the tenancy. His wife Elspet or Anna Lawrie, was the daughter of John Lawrie, Tillymauld of Auchry. The spur on the west gable of the farm buildings has the initials J.H. and A.L., for John Hepburn and Anna Lawrie, two hearts entwined, and the date 1799. Their respective ages in 1799 are 17 and 15. lower down the gable occur the initials J.H. for John Hepburn, and the date 1816. In 1828, they removed to Upper Tillymauld.

Remember, this would have to be checked with records.

Offline MairiD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 October 13 18:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, GR2, for that nugget of information.  As well as the personal detail; the carved hearts and initials, you point out the ages of the subjects.  They were very young. I hope the initials and the symbol have survived to this day.

Re. John Lawrie, his tombstone in the old churchyard of King Edward has this inscription according to the MI booklet.

'To John Lawrie in Tullinald (Sic) of Auchry d. 7 Feb. 1781 aged 66, erected by his wife and children.'

Thank you too for telling me about James Godsman's book.  I might be able to see a copy in the NLS and look for any references to Tillybo and Overbrae.

I have the list of pollable persons in King Edward and Monquhitter, 1696 of course--- too early for the particular Lauries/Lawries I am studying but very interesting nevertheless.

I am delighted with your information as well your surprisingly quick response to my post.
Thank you again,
MairiD

PS.  On the subject of records, the question of a blank space where a Christian name should have been recorded on an OPR birth/baptismal record leaves me wondering whether the minister carefully wrote the beginning of the entry beforehand (date, parent and sex of child) because the date for baptism had been appointed and then left the name to be entered later in the manse that evening.
 It looks to me as if Alexander did not turn up for the baptism of three of his children (1779, 1785 and 1789) rather than forgetfulness on the part of the minister! I cannot find entries of their baptism later.

Fife;  Annan,  Annal,  Robertson, Laing, Coutts.
E. Lothian; Ness.
W. Lothian; Cuthbertson.
Argyll; Walker, Campbell.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 October 13 18:51 BST (UK) »
Again, from Godsman:

(Tillybo)

In 1750, William Byth was succeeded by John Lawrie and Margaret Bannerman. They had a son John, and daughters Barbara, Elspet and Agnes. Before 1785, William Sim, an elder of the parish church, succeeded.

No reference to Lawries under Overbrae.