Author Topic: Harriet Elizabeth Stokes - born and died 1849?  (Read 1793 times)

Offline snooziflooze

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Harriet Elizabeth Stokes - born and died 1849?
« on: Tuesday 18 March 14 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Free BMD says that she was born and died in the Winslow district of Bucks in March 1849.  But a print out I have obtained from BHFS only says that in Whaddon (this is in Winslow district) a woman of her name aged about 30 was buried in that month and year.  There is no corresponding baptism for her in 1819 or thereabouts.  Now if this is the relly I am looking for, this fits, as she was born over the border in Towcester and Stokes is her married name.  But what of the Free BMD entries?

Interestingly, there is a burial of an 8 month old girl called Elizabeth Harriet Stokes in Towcester in September 1849.  I am wondering whether the scenario is something like this:  the mother moves after marriage to Whaddon with husband, has baby hence the registration of a birth, but dies shortly after, hence the burial and registration of a death.  Baby gets taken in by family in Towcester, but dies a few months later.

Thoughts please.  Is this plausible, or am I completely off my rocker... ::)

I don't really want to fork out for GRO certificates if I'm barking up the wrong tree, but I can see it might be the only way forward.  Pah!   :-\

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harriet Elizabeth Stokes - born and died 1849?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 19:54 GMT (UK) »
That sounds very plausible to me and explains the facts.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 19:58 GMT (UK) »
You could just buy the death certificate from March 1849, as that would probably give you the information you need ie cause of death and hopefully husband's name. If it did turn out to be the death of the infant that may give parents' names as well.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline snooziflooze

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your replies.  Yes, purchasing the death certificate might give me some useful information without spending too much money.  ;D

Sigh.  Wish the GRO had a cheaper option for us amateur genealogists...