Author Topic: Northumberland Quarter Sessions 1816 George Weedy  (Read 1389 times)

Offline fairyfeet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Northumberland Quarter Sessions 1816 George Weedy
« on: Sunday 12 January 14 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me where the Northumberland Quarter Sessions  Summer Assizes were held in 1816. Alnwick?
George Weedy was convicted of larceny and sentenced to 2 years imprisonment.  Which jail would he have been sent to.  If he died in jail are there any records for his death?  I am trying to sort out if he is one of two George Weedy's born around the same time or just 1 person whom I am muddling up with a different Weedy family.
Any help gratefully appreciated.
Marion

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Northumberland Quarter Sessions 1816 George Weedy
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 January 14 18:42 GMT (UK) »
fairyfeet, Google "Northumberland Quarter Sessions Records" and you will find various sites re them.
One which might be helpful is "Morpeth-Manuscripts- Northumberland Communities." which holds records for 1748 - 1885.
If you are sure he was sentenced at Northumber'l'd QS then that could be the place to search.  But bear in mind that Newcastle also had their own and separate QS.
The Assizes were for the more serious crimes, and seperate from the QSs.  I stand to be corrected, but I would think that the only Assizes held in Northumberl'd would be at Newcastle.  They may have been held at the Moot Hall.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 January 14 21:34 GMT (UK) »
You do not say when he was born,

Is yours the one who married Jane Tweedy ,
St Michael ,Alnwick, 28th April 1798,

Jane  wife of George Weedy buried  as above, aged 55 years , 25th March 1802,

if it was this one he would be quite old when he went to prison,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline fairyfeet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Radcliff

Apologies for taking so long to reply - time and other family things do take over sometimes

The George WEEDY who married Jane Tweedy in 1798 could be the one as he was around 40 years of age (born 1776 or 1780 - depending on records) when the offense was committed.  He was sentenced to 2 years but where?

Jane Weedy (Tweedy) was 55 when she died and I have checked the parish originals - around 20 days after she had given birth to a daughter - yes I am unhappy at the age of death - but that is what the original record says.

GEORGE WEEDY then married Mary Fell and they had a 10 children.  There is a gap between Isabella 1815 and James 1819 which made me wonder if George was in prison, but then the next child is born 1822 so they did not have a child every year.

George and Mary moved from WArkworth and went to live in Whickham where he died in 1842.

There are one or two George Weedy's who live in the Warkworth/Shilbottle area and he could be the brother of my Thomas - everyone doing Weedy trees puts them together but I am a bit undecided as yet.  I was hoping if he was in prison 1816 -1818 he could not be George Weedy with Mary Fell.  Maybe he was another George Weedy who was the black sheep in my family tree.

I am also studying WEEDY as a member of the Guild of ONE-NAME. STUDIES and have tried to cover every GEORGE but that far back is quite difficult with no-one able to help with prison records and deaths.

Know anywhere else I can look?
Thanks Marion